The heart breaking and joyous story of my 348 coolant and oil pressure dash light failure, diagnosi | FerrariChat

The heart breaking and joyous story of my 348 coolant and oil pressure dash light failure, diagnosi

Discussion in '348/355' started by Lavenknight, Nov 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lavenknight

Lavenknight Karting

Jun 2, 2018
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    After 4 months of multiple repairs, a major, replacement of almost all the sensors (mainly preventative due to age), etc I finally have my car running perfect.....until yesterday. On it’s first long distance voyage a 70 mile round trip drive through down town Chicago, during rush hour traffic, the coolant temp gauge illumination light goes dark and the needle pegs all the way to the right.

At this point I am imagining the worst case scenario my water pump has seized and the timing belt is going out in the next few milliseconds.. but then, as I am looking for somewhere to pull over in a three lane road with the most aggressive drivers in the planet....I realize that the red coolant temp warning light is not on, there is no smell of coolant and the car is running fine. But that doesn’t matter I have to pull over and find out what is going on. At that exact moment the oil pressure gauge goes dark and and the needle drops all the way to the left... no pressure!!! It was like I was in a scene of “Air Disasters” I have lost both engines, audio and gauge warnings going off (in my head) and I am going down....hard.

I make it to the shoulder, shut the car off and check the engine bay. The fans are not even running...so I think to myself maybe they failed.. but then I realized that I replaced almost everything during the major (water pump, all bearings with HE ones to include ALT bearing).

I am starting to feel a little better and an inkling of hope has set in ( however small). So I close my eyes and replay the events in chronological order.....The dash illumination lights! That’s when it all started! The coolant gauge illumination light goes off and needle pegs to the right shortly thereafter the oil pressure light goes off and that needle drops. This may just be an electrical issue! I get back in the embattled cockpit and turn the car to ignition II and the coolant temp Gauge is a little under the halfway point! I turn the car on and the oil gauge goes up slightly when I rev it! I am alive!! After an extremely deep sigh and breath of relief I turn the headlights on and immediately the coolant needle pegs to the right and oil pressure drops. Not this time you bastard, I know your lying to me just to get attention!

I make it home and immediately attempt to dissembled the gauge cluster in a nervous desperate struggle with 2 screws that were put in at an angle that require you to painfully rest your ribs on the spear of destiny (aka gated shifter) after removing it I find heavy corrosion on the connector and of course guess what.... the coolant temp gauge and oil pressure gauge are on the same circuit board with the connector attachment on the coolant gauge (see pic).

I clean the connectors with deoxit and qtips, wipe it clean (it took several swabs and powerful finger muscles) and then stabilant 22 (22a I applied it raw not mixed with alcohol). I then remembered that I had some led dash lights that I bought for my porsche 968 a few years back. After rummaging for half an hour in the garage and making a huge mess( don’t care at this point) I find them, try them, and they work! What an emotional day...this never happens to me. First actually finding them and then having them work( see pic ).

So the morale of this story is clean your dash light connectors now before you suffer a mild heart attack like I did.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion, steved033 and carnutdallas like this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I love a story with a happy ending!

Now you have another "Ferrari story" to tell people. :)

3. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Right on. Thanks for sharing!

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Love it when your car speaks to you. And it's wise to listen and take care... (worst case - dash fires are no fun).

5. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    There is always excitement owning a Ferrari. Often asked about the ownership and of driving Ferrari. I will tell them the excitement begins when you get behind the wheel and the engine actually Starts!!!! The next exciting moment is when you engage the gear lever then the clutch engages and the car starts to move.

Now the next exciting moment is as you are driving and the various lights and gauges flicker off and off or as stated above the gauges them selves seem to have a mind of their own and dance about as you are motoring down the hiway of happiness. putting fear and excitement in your heart.

Then you arrive at your destination for shopping or a meal. You get back to your Ferrari usually with several people standing around asking questions, then once again the excitement level raises as you hope like hell your Ferrari engine will A, turn over, B catch and start, and finally the clutch will work and you can now back out of your parking place and again experience the excitement of driving your prized Ferrari down that same hiway of happiness. Finally you reach your destination and pull into your driveway and shut the engine down, finally your last wave of excitement as you get out of your beauty and it went out and back with no adverse issues, one more trouble free enjoyable ride. The excitement never goes away whether it starts ,drives or quits along the way its always exciting driving your Ferrari !!

just sayin'

tr0768