Here I go again | FerrariChat

Here I go again

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Carnut, Nov 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well I never thought I'd say this but I am going to look at a 991 4S later today, yes that's right an AWD 911, and I don't plan to convert it. Going to put all season tires on it and use it as winter fun car. This would be #42 and I guess I am getting old realizing I need an AWD 911. Oh well I guess it happens to us all. Happy Thanksgiving.

2. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Was at my dealer Wednesday for an oil change, saw a couple and am now wondering myself. They sound great. I have a Boxster S and the 991 is proportioned much larger. I love my Boxster its such a fun car to drive and is my DD, but the 991 has been in my head for the last few days and I like the idea of a 4S in the NYC weather.

LARRYH likes this.
  3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I could not make a deal for the one I drove yesterday, but already found another one. I have feeling this one might be the one.

of2worlds and Island Time like this.
  4. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Good luck, and post some photos if you get it.

I'm talking with my dealer, we'll see where it goes.

Carnut likes this.
  5. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    By #42 I think you've got most of the bases covered, so why not an AWD 911.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I guess you are right the other AWD ones I converted to RWD, but I think those days are behind me now. The deal fell through on the second one yesterday before noon, but I found one at the dealer group I bought my i8 from. Same sales guy (I like dealing with people that know how I do things), and I gave them a $1000 deposit to take it off the market while we work out the final numbers. It is nicely equipped 133,125 sticker, and almost the same color as my other 911.

Island Time and of2worlds like this.
  7. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    I haven't driven the AWD 991, but I have driven the 997 C2S and C4S back to back. They are both great 911s. I found you gave up a little steering feel, and the car lost a bit of edge with the extra weight, but it's a small penalty.

Mind you, I was driving my Cayman S in the snow last Thursday when we had a short covering of about 2" of snow. With snow tires, it was no problem. Ultimately, snow tires beat AWD.

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well the deal is done, car is coming from International Porsche in WI. With any luck the car should be here by next weekend. I am going to put Bridgestone all Seasons on it, and going to get the Tech art paddle kit from Tag.

of2worlds and Island Time like this.
  9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well the car has not even been loaded on the transport truck and I am already making plans to change it. Came with a multifunction wheel so I bought a new Sport steering wheel with paddles and multifunction from a Macan and I am going to retrofit into the 991. I have diagrams for both wheels, looks pretty simple might need some programming air bags will swap no problem.

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Well they sent me a few pictures before it gets loaded on the truck, I lucked out have winter and summer tires. The steering wheel came from Germany yesterday, and the heads up display came too. My other 911 is Seal Gray, this one is Agate Gray, they look pretty close to me. Will need to get some clear reflectors too. I always like it when a new toy gets delivered.

of2worlds, cgt000 and tomc like this.
  11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Congratulations, Morrie!

Matt

Carnut likes this.
  12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Thanks Matt, I had the chance to play with it a little, and with the Michelin Alpin PA4N spec winter tires this thing is very good. In 20 degree temps I took a corner at the same speed as my summer cars and stuck like glue. Of course I have already bought a second set of wheels and tires (vossen concave forged), a new steering wheel (from a latter model year sport wheel with paddles and multi function), since I am not a fan of the non paddle PDK wheel. and I am going to get the PDK tuned. I stopped by Algar yesterday and they have 2 F12's coming. Maybe I'm not slowing down that much in my old age after all.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Congratulations on the great new car!

And a F12 ... that would be epic. In the summer, of course

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The new air bag arrives today, so I can install the new steering wheel, it also needs an adapter from a company called GPS (that arrived yesterday). For any of you who have a PDK car there is a company called cobb that makes a accessport v3 hand held tuner with a PDK tunes in it. It makes the car come alive, and I am really impressed with the results.

15. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Just came back to this thread and see you did the deal, congratulations!

16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Thanks, I have the new steering wheel in, an ambient interior light kit, the Cobb Tune installed and yesterday the Sprint booster. I also bought a set of Vossen forged wheels and tires from someone on Rennlist in case I want to use it in the summer. I guess now that I'm done with this the bets are on as to when I will be buying something else.