488 Pista - qualifying demands | Page 23 | FerrariChat

488 Pista - qualifying demands

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Doctor Mark, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    You got me at “Lotus”....I’m a Lotus guy at heart and nothing beats an Elige. The Evora is still good in my book though a bit heavy. Interesting that you compare the 720 to it. Now you’ve piqued my interest, need to test drive it.
    What your thoughts on the Perf?
    I’m selling my Perf for a Speciale....too many great choices.

Sent from my 16M

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #552 Shadowfax, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Elige? I like that! It's like halfway between an Elise and Exige! A good driving mate of mine just changed his Exige for an Evora due to ongoing problems with it. We are all hoping and praying his Evora proves less troublesome. So far so good (touch wood)....but it's early days. On one unfortunate occasion one of the guys was explaining how LOTUS stands for Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious. Seemed hard to argue at the time.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

I think the bottom line is lots of great cars. Can’t go wrong.

boobernackle likes this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    That’s a tough move. I went Speciale to Perf Spyder. Both are fun. Very different.

As to the 600lt, I was speccing not ordering.

plastique999 likes this.
  5. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    The Evora has no problem so far...knock on wood. I bet it must be because both lotus and Mcl cars are using hydraulic steering instead of electric one. The feel I got is very similar. The Evora is 3120 lbs and 720s at 2829. I remember I read somewhere in a British car magazine that describes a 720s as a big brother to evora 400... I think that's what they meant, but I think it's the other way around, 720s looks so much bigger but it feels so much smaller and more nimble. If it weren't sound, I would definitely jump on it.

Perf is great! I got 3 people giving me thumbs up within 30 seconds of test drive.... usually just once in a year for 458. Sounds great and handles much better than the standard Huracan... But the visibility is bad for me as I am 6'3"...

So that I can go back to the thread...

I think Ferrari, like most people said so far in this thread, is no longer in any more of the previously prestigious position. Trying to increase MSRP to increase the exclusivity is one thing, but falling behind on the technology and performance is completely a different matter. The perceived gap of performance will be even larger when the faster 720S is selling about 100K less.

It's time for Ferrari to use carbon tub, and put in better technology that is worth of 100K more and remove the DAMN sticky buttons and add in the 360 panaromic side views that 720S has.

Gh21631, IPO1 and plastique999 like this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually you can. If only in reality such a bubble existed. Love you to tell me how great your car is when you are stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere an hour from nightfall.

7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Yup you and I are going reverse of each other....will let you know my thoughts on my move.
    I need to try out a 720

Sent from my 16M

of2worlds and IPO1 like this.
  8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Which cars are doing that often?

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I thought you said you could work smart?

10. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Let us know your thoughts on 720. I cannot wait for mine to show up. One of my neighbors was a Mac guy, sold his 675LT, bought Perf and is now selling it for 720. I was driving by yesterday and chatted with him and he said loved Perf, but missed the McLaren activities that he use to do (he would travel to many of Mac driving events globally). Also his car has been in the local Lambo dealer 6 times for same issue and they cannot get it resolved (some whining noise -- I didn't get into it). So for him it was about the lifestyle and the car.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Tell me which modern cars are more prone to leave you stranded. Would love to know.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Disregarding depreciation issues, reliability or social activities, personal driving experience when it comes down to a buying decision at this level of super cardom, is essential. Both the Performante and 720S at their price points, perform at a level that would have not been expected only 5 years ago. They are exceptional cars on every level. However, they are both very different in terms of driving dynamics and engagement.

To sum up on a perfunctory basis- Performante- compelling and engaging drive. Great road feedback with an engine that enhances the visceral factor. The Performante is rawer and more of an occasion drive. If you are over 6' 2", some have found the seating cramped and visibility an issue, others not. Excels on road and track. Very fast but clearly not at the 720S level.

720S- Blistering speed that will send the driver back into the seat. Superb visibility and comfortable interior. If your preference lies towards a comfortable, compliant ride that can easily serve as a DD, the 720S fits the bill. Exceptional on all level of performance both on road and track. Engine sound is mediocre and not in the same league as the Performante. Perfect for those who desire their super car to be easy to drive, comfortable, stable AND FAST.

Two exceptional cars that appeal to very diferent drivers with differing preferences and priorities. Many could quite happily, own either one.

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said

458-Italia, of2worlds and Coincid like this.
  14. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Several road tests have shown the Perfomante faster 0 - 62 and within .1 seconds at the quarter mile. The 720s only pulls away at the 1/2 mile level which is practically meaningless because it sports 80 more horsepower. So to say its "not at its level" is misleading. Its clearly at its level with a far more engaging driving experience. Plus its prettier!

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Good point on the last...lifestyle.
    I’ve noticed distinct characteristics between Lambo and Ferrari owners...Lotus owners etc. interesting each brand has its own “personality.” One can probably relate to a certain crowd with a particular brand.

Sent from my 16M

IPO1 and of2worlds like this.
  16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You mean your 720S didn't leave you stranded in the middle of the AZ desert on the hottest day in the year, 50 miles in both direction for the nearest source of water and cell signal?

Shadowfax doesn't realize that he has a better chance of getting a flat tire in the middle of nowhere at midnight with the world' most reliable Toyota than he does having an exotic car, any exotic car, actually break down LOL

Guy must be terrified to leave a 2 mile radius of his dealer.

IPO1 and SoCal to az like this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    0-62 mph- The Performante has consistently bested the 720S due to superior traction on launch and linear acceleration due to the NA engine. Quarter mile times favor the 720S by often more than.1. The speed of the 720S becomes more pronounced from 1/4 mile onward. This for many may be less significant.

Due to the glorious engine note and the rawer nature of the its driving dynamics, the Performante actually creates the illusion of going faster than it actually is, while the 720S, due to its subdued sound, more compliant and smooth ride and effortless manner in which it accelerates with lightning speed, engenders a less visceral reaction.

dmark1 and iloveferrari like this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

I’ve driven both and performante was much slower than 720. In fact my 488 felt quicker than performante. Either way- you don’t choose one car over another at this level because of .1 difference in speed. You choose the car that is lost enjoyable and the complete package for your needs.

All these cars can easily check that box.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I said the Performante is fast but not on the level of the 720S. Did I not further state that the cars will appeal to drivers with differing preferences and priorities?

20. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    The Performante is a better car compared to the 488. I love my 488 but I find it boring, it lacks soul.

stiffler style, Coincid and bobbyd like this.
  21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting, compare to 458?

It would be great to start a thread or subforum regarding car comparisons. There are so many great choices of supercars and they are coming out so quickly that it’s nice to hear actual owner’s experiences.
    I’ll be posting a thread shortly comparing Speciale to Perf to 16M....

Sent from my 16M

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have zero desire to get into a pissing match with you but reread what you wrote. At the end of the day- all these cars are great.

iloveferrari likes this.
  23. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #574 iloveferrari, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Actually it's not that misleading. I think it's the way it makes the owners feel subjectively. Disclaimer: I don't have either perf or 720s. Only have 458, FF and Evora 400. I test drove both cars back to back with an hour in each car. The way 720s pulled in the third gear near red line and the way i felt - I was so scared that I giggled non stop like a little girl- reminded me why so many people said 720s is at different level. The engine noise is indeed like a vacuum. On the other hand, the noise of perf is just so in your face. I felt it's like an angry bull that is shimmering in sweat running toward you with blinding sun behind it. If you don't get out of it's way, you will get hurt.

Granted my experiences were very limited, so I will defer to those lucky ones who own both.

In summary, Ferrari dealer game of Pista allocation is getting more unjustified, imho.

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Yes but second hand they are also 2X more than US.

Shadowfax likes this.