NASCAR 2018 | Page 12 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2018

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by kylec, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Fans with "hot" passes have all access to garage and pits, just as long as they stay out of everyone's way. Had the opportunity once and it was an unforgettable experience.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Oh, I see...

They used to broadcast about how open their paddocks were. Likely backfired when
    the paddocks got swamped with fans getting in the way and driving all the drivers and
    teams crazy.

BHW

3. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Nascar fix: Shorter races due to shorter viewer attention spans. 500 miles becomes 500km. Separate race stages buried forever. Stupid gas cans buried forever. Lug nut wheels buried forever and for the love of god get rid of the announcers that sound like a cross betweenf Elmer Fudd and Daffy Duck.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't remember them being open. Last NASCAR race I was at was Pocono about 1996. You could get near the paddocks.

I've advocated that for years. Maybe even a A heat and a B heat and then the top 10 cars from each in a feature. It would be better that Stage 1, 2 and 3 and would get the slow cars off the track for the feature.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Good suggestions all...

Since NASCAR chose to follow the WWE route with regard to their competition and broadcast format, what they have
    now is the inevitable result.

The only thing that keeps coming back is how back in the '80s and '90s, it was reported that the biggest spectator
    sport in America was professional wrestling and, of course, this was not lost on them deep in the fake wood panel
    walled offices in Daytonner.

By all means, let's follow WWE's lead and bring in the most abrasive and obnoxious personalities (*coughWaltripBrotherscough*)
    to sit in the booth, get them all hopped up on Red Bull (or whatever makes them that way) and let them loose on the
    public airwaves for several hours every Sunday afternoon.

The other offender was/is this guy Larry McReynolds who's southern twang drawl sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard
    after thirty seconds of his rambling nonsensical diatribes where he goes on and on for ten minutes at a time and ends up
    saying absolutely nothing with circular logic that really defies belief.

Can NASCAR hit the reset button per these suggestions? IMHO, not really. They're too far gone now to go back and
    the slippery slope they've been for the past 30+ years has removed them from the grassroots sport that got them to where
    they were to begin with.

BHW

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Um, don't you remember Ned Jarrett?

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, I remember Ned Jarrett and Benny Parsons. Met them both, great gentlemen and ambassadors
    of the sport.

Sadly, the commentators that the NASCAR broadcast networks have today are a far cry from those
    days. This, it may be said, is a plague across the broadcast sports spectrum including stick & ball
    sports where commentators think they're bigger than the sport they're representing.

These days with the long, drawn out NASCAR events (two hours of pre-race hype, 4-6 hour race
    duration and endless post-race analysis), they feel that every second must be filled with mindless
    rambling nonsense which amounts to little more than bashing the viewers over the head with their
    endless blather.

BHW

Jack-the-lad and Etcetera like this.
  8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Where we go again with the finin' & suspendin'...

This time, it's championship contender Harvick who's evident victory at Texas last weekend has
    been negated, points deduction, crew chief suspended and fined $75K.

And, for what?

After passing numerous pre-practices, post-practices, pre-qualifying, post-qualifying and pre-race
    inspections, it was found post-race that his rear spoiler was 200 to 300-thousands of an inch offset
    to one side. According to the official NASCAR announcement (that is), "A manufacturing tolerance
    would be ten-thousandths of an inch, not 300 thousandths of an inch. So yeah, absolutely 100 percent,
    no question, black and white. As black and white as it gets
    .”

300 thousands of an inch is as black and white as it gets? Where do they come up with this stuff? How
    does NASCAR even measure 300 thousands of an inch? Does one of those pit lane Bubba inspectors
    that oversees every pit stop suddenly spot that the spoiler is an eyelash width off-center?

Finin' & Suspendin' per Racer.com:

All of this has triggered NASCAR's "L1 Penalty" (oh no, not the dreaded L1!) resulting in Harvick’s AAA
    Texas 500 race win does not count as clinching a spot in the Championship 4 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
    The team has been docked 40 driver and 40 owner points and crew chief Rodney Childers has been fined
    $75,000 and suspended for the next two races. Car chief Robert Smith has also been suspended for the
    next two weeks.

All this means Childers and Smith will be on the properties of their sprawling North Carolina estates riding
    around on their Gators hunting and fishing with their high school buddies for the next two weekends.

What is always amazing is, how NASCAR may issue a Draconian penalty such as this for something
    so insignificant but they'll allow cars that have been in race crashes back onto the track, bodywork mangled,
    dropping parts everywhere, little more than mobile chicanes and usually the cause of more cautions, etc.
    That's all perfectly okay evidently.

https://racer.com/2018/11/07/nascar-clarifies-harvicks-penalty/

BHW

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Maybe it will shut up all the idiots that have been screaming "rigged!!!" all year when SHR and Ford has been dominating. It's a BS penalty.

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    So did nascar take back the chequered flag that harvick gave to the little boy after the race to? :rolleyes:

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #286 BartonWorkman, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Yeah, and that raises another good point...

If the race winning car fails inspection, they go through the whole usual spinning doughnuts, being handed the
    checkered flag and the Gatorade shower in Victory Lane, all the post-race hubbub, how is it that they're able to
    keep the race victory (including trophies, money, adulation, et.al.) but they're subsequently docked the race
    points, etc?

The standard NASCAR line is that they don't want the ticket buying fans to be "cheated". Ironic because NASCAR
    has been cheating fans for going on four decades now with all their nonsense so this hardly stands up.

It has been said that the most consistent thing about NASCAR is how inconsistent they are. Okay, maybe I said that.

BHW

of2worlds likes this.
  12. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I read it as 300/1000, or .3" That's not hard to measure.

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I'd like to find me one of them rulers.

BHW

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #290 BartonWorkman, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Pearson was one tough old bird, a genuine legend.

The only NASCAR race I ever attended was the 1976 Daytona 500 where he and Richard Petty collided
    as they came down to the checkered flag with Pearson emerging as the winner.

BHW

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The big finale this weekend at Homestead...

How great will it be if Truex pulls it off again for Furniture Row on their last race before
    closing the doors on their program?

I would be a real commentary on the state of things in NASCAR currently.

BHW

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I am really hoping Truex is right on Loganos bumper on the last lap ;)

18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm rooting for Truex and Furniture Row

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Absolutely, score another one for the little guys.

Ran across some of the XFinity race yesterday between halftimes of the football games.
    They sure run a high line at Homestead, perilously close to the wall in the turns, did
    they figure out that's the fastest way around or is that the best way to preserve their
    tires?

Had to mute the thing though, the announcers are virtually launched out of a canon,
    how anyone can talk that much that fast it beyond me. They're all so revved up it
    comes across as completely phony.

BHW

20. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Having to root for Harvick since he's SHR and Clint must have upset God or something, but I hate this format more every year.

KBR54, GuyIncognito and Enzojr like this.
  21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE not the 18 again :eek:

RedNeck likes this.
  22. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    As I said Truex in 2nd place, right on the 22s rear bumper on the last lap, would make my day ;)

23. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Put the bumper to his ass ;)

24. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Well that’s that I guess. The Ferrari crowd should be happy.

25. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    They really need to nix this Chase/playoff crap. How a man can have 8 wins and lose the championship to someone with 2 is beyond me.

KBR54 and GuyIncognito like this.