Future of the A-10 Warthog | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Future of the A-10 Warthog

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Feb 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No reason to go to Long island. The A-10 wing replacement program is not even using Northrop-Grumman as a source.

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That plant is now gone, replaced by a shopping center! Grumman inherited what was left of the A-10 program when Republic folded, probably because of proximity. I think that Northrop Grumman is still in charge of maintaining the drawings and supplying spares.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The last time I was at Hill (depot, Utah, 2010) they were replacing A-10 wings there, and other upgrades as well.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#304 Tcar, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    So who's doing the work; supplying parts... if not N-Grumman?

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #306 Wade, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Kelowna likes this.
  7. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Wonder if that is from beating out the skin after the pilot bounced the refueling drogue once or twice.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #308 tazandjan, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Lots of folks can do wing replacements, sheet metal repair, or a glass cockpit like the A-10C. Building new ones from scratch is another ball of wax that makes no sense, even if the tooling was saved, which I doubt.

In the F-111 world, Congress had us build additional tail numbers in 1971-1974 in small batches, on an annual basis. So GD dug out the tooling and dutifully built the additional F-111Fs. Most of them came out crooked and did not perform nearly as well as those built in 1970 and earlier. We had two F-111Fs at the 431st TES, 70-2400 and 74-187. 400 was way faster (could actually supercruise at mach 1.05 in mil) got better fuel consumption, and required way less maintenance. When in formation, 187 always required 400 to throttle back considerably so she could keep up. Usually, we just let 187 lead and 400 could always keep up. We thought it might be the engines, so we swapped them. Made no difference, the crooked one was just slower.

Jim- Yup, knew the plant was gone. The one in Farmington, NY, too, where they built P-47s

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Simple BDR (battle damage repair). :)

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's Farmingdale, by the way. The flight test hangars on the east side of Republic Airport are still there and house a nice little museum.

Oh, and the pizzeria in that shopping center is dynamite! I attended a model show in the museum a few years ago and they had pizza delivered from across the runway. It was better than any I've ever gotten in Atlanta!

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- Yup, Farmington just came out of the typing because I live in New Mexico.

12. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
  13. Bludiablordstr

Bludiablordstr Karting

Sep 15, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    OK, never flew the Hog in combat, I was a "Cold Warrior", think Fulda Gap and dueling with ZSU-23-4, but loved the Hog. Got 200 hours A7-D, 1000+ A-10A, 600+ F4D, 600+F-16A, if "They" asked me for a retirement gift one more tank of gas any jet, I'd ask "Them" can I have 300+ rounds in the A-!0? If not then the Viper. Delivered the 5th Hog to Eillson back in '82 or "83 straight from the Hagerstown, MD factory. Best (fastest) Hog I ever flew, engines hadn't been detuned yet. Nothing can replace the GAU-8

Wade likes this.
  14. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    4-ship formation from Indiana NG flew over Purdue's stadium during the pre-game this past weekend. Missed getting a pic of that, but you can just make out one setting up for landing. Pilots were honored during the game (2 were Purdue grads).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    and Purdue beat #16 Iowa on a last sec FG. Go Boilers!!

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They probably sounded like a flight of vacuum cleaners. The S-3 Viking (that used the same engines) was nicknamed "Hoover".

ralfabco likes this.
  16. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    lol They did a pretty low pass right over my head and the sound and feel was a little underwhelming, although I knew what to expect. A flight of 4 F-22's that low would have had the crowd holding hands over their ears.

17. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Not loud, in that mission you don't necessarily want the bad guys to hear you coming..... In the middle east they got the nickname "whispering death".. I think that says it all...

Kelowna likes this.
  18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Whispering Death tag has been used on a lot of aircraft.