ppf on a new portofino | FerrariChat

ppf on a new portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by lfc-Q8, Nov 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    Hi guys,

I’m a first time Ferrari owner and I’m expecting delivery on my Portofino early December.

It will be in Rossa Corsa with Cuoio interior with Rosso stitching and horse on headrest.

Front camera, yellow calipers, rev counter and shields.

Sports exhaust, electromic mirrors, mageride suspension

Passenger display, aluminum footrest

HELE, fire extinguisher, and RFT are mandatory options in my region.

I`m considering wrapping the whole car with PPF and not sure with which material should I choose. 3m, xpel, huperoptik (they have ppf in my region), stek, nano guard, flexishield.

Your recommendation will be highly helpful.

2. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    i use Xpel, so far so good. durashield yellowed before. no idea on the other brands you mentioned

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    whichever one has the ceramic built in

Kaangunes likes this.
  4. IAAI

IAAI Rookie

Apr 28, 2018
    Hollywood FL
    Full Name:
    Herb Weinberg
    I used Xpel and friend used 3M. 3M dulled out and he just had it removed for Xpel with then total ceramic coat. Beautiful. His Car is red

5. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I would focus less on the actual product and more on choosing the best installer and they will have their own preferred product. In the UK, my research suggests Topaz in London are the best. Not sure which product they use.

BTW my spec is very similar, except I chose Rosso Portofino rather than Rosso Corsa (which is leading to quite a delay...).

Out of interest, did you go full cuoio (incl. dash and top of doors and rear seats)? I personally think that looks best, although I made a last minute change from cuoio to black dash to avoid glare (also, I think full cuoio including the dash is a bit too full on)

TheMayor and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have Xpel on my Cali & Porsche, and Huper Optik on the windshield of the Porsche. Happy w/ both products after 15K miles/2.5 yrs on the Cali and 45K miles/5 yrs on the 911 in the hot Texas sun...T

7. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    as it being my first Ferrari i couldn't choose another color besides rosso corsa maybe in the future i would be brave enough to choose another color.
    as for interior i went with black dash and steering wheel, for the glare as you noted and the black steering wheel wont the color wont fade out as a colored one.

8. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    wouldn't the built in ceramic fade after a year or less?

9. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    i`m located in Kuwait where we normally have 130F summers. my local huper optic dealer claims to have huper optic ppf, but i couldn't find it on their website or any other place on the web. and it has self healing and nano ceramic built in.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh it all deteriorates - paying 2k to put ceramic on film which you replace every few years makes zero sense. so might as well buy the film with the ceramic and save the 2k. the idea that people are willing to spend 2k "because the water comes off faster" is truly surprising when so many people ***** and moan about cost of servicing these cars.

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My Porsche has the Huper on the windshield. It lives outside, 24-7-365, and we've had several hot summers since I bought it, although not 130 F! About 110 F max.

This web page claims they have PPF, but mainly talks about the window coatings, which they are most known for.

http://almanaautomotive.com/products-services/huper-optik

Might be worth a call directly to the manufacturer.

Best of luck and congrats on the new car...T

12. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    the local dealer which has both the ppf and tint. looking around i think huper optic tint is best, so even if their ppf isn't the best the tint is and i wont be changing the tint the entire lifespan of the car. the alternative is to have my Ferrari local dealer install 3M ppf and tint, which ill pay double what i`ll be paying for the huper optic.
    both will have 10 years warranty.

tomc likes this.
  13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I put Suntek Ultra on my Cali T and 488.

14. Gooey

Gooey Karting

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gooey
    I would like to get my portofino wrapped.
    However the dealer said that they can’t cover the entire hood and there will be seams near the windshield on the left and right side. Has anyone put the clear bra materials on the hood and not have any seams?

15. sandisk

sandisk Karting

Jul 16, 2013
    There are 72 inch rolls of Suntek and Xpel now available along with larger printers. A number of dealers already have these so its just a case of finding a PPF supplies who has the necessary. With the larger rolls, no seams/joins are needed on the bonnet...……..

16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I strongly agree with Karl, the installer is more important. I have used a few different films (and installers), the Xpel on my girlfriends car starting to peal off after a few months, on car done by a different installer it was perfect after over a year. You will hear some installers say Sunteck and Xpel are not as good as the newer 3M stuff and then others will say the opposite. You may have things in your country we do not have here OP. I have given up on film myself, but that is because the cars I keep any length of time (my one of a kind 997S is now almost 14 years old, with a bit 17K miles, without a mark on it), seem to somehow stay unmarked. I like using all my multiple polishers and hate the lines on the film, that I have to watch out for. I buy a bunch of new products every spring to try out. Xpel if I remember has different levels of installers on their site. The ones who can do the custom cuts are usually the best ones, and I'd be wary of the ones who can come to you or even a dealer. It really takes a special environment to do it right.

17. BHMSOCCER

BHMSOCCER Rookie

Dec 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I have the seems on the hood of my new Portofino. It isn't ideal but unless you are looking for it, you really don't notice it.

18. Gooey

Gooey Karting

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gooey
    Did they give you the option of no seams?
    The thing about seems is the trap dirt and wax and they become more noticeable over time.
    Maybe there is a way to take care of so that doesn’t occur.
    I think in an ideal world you would not want seams

19. Tessy

Tessy Rookie

Jan 27, 2019
    NIceville, Florida
    My Cali 30 I just bought has one piece Xpel on hood and is hard to tell there is anything there.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh who cares if it isnt 100%. not noticeable.

21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The key to making it look great is prep and install. I suggest you get a quality detailer to
    Do a full paint correction then if you want ppf expell seems good to me then also a ceramic coating it will make a heck of a difference in the looks personally i am not a great fan of doing the full car i just do the bumper persoanlly but the paint correction and ceramic coating will make it look so good

22. BHMSOCCER

BHMSOCCER Rookie

Dec 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I was not given the option and only noticed it when I picked up the car. It is in a spot that stays relatively clean so I am not too worried.

23. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Suntek and....do you guys know how easy applying ceramic coatings? Paying $1000s let alone $100s to do this is goofy.

Yes, you can add the ceramic ON TOP of the PPF. Suntek comes with it, but you can add more if you would like.