What's For Dinner? | Page 372 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sounds good. Sriracha makes anything taste better.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Homemade meatball subs. Bolillo rolls. Sliced in half. Toast under the broiler. Costco meatballs. Mozz. Tomato gravy. Back in the broiler to melt the mozz.

Homemade tomato gravy. Tomato paste, water, garlic, oregano, black pepper. Fortified with wine. Simmer & reduce.

T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  2. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    Hey tomc, appreciate the Cali thread. Just check to see where you are from see DFW. FOOD? shrimp curry with mushrooms and roasted broccoli florets. You like good food too. Seems like there’s a common thread.

3. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good food. Good music. Good cars. It's all part of enjoying the Ferrari lifestyle.

Roasted broccoli florets? That's an interesting option. Broccoli is one of the few veggies my Texan wife will eat with a minimum of squawking. May have to try that.

T

4. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Long day? Points for the knife and fork!

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Soup! Cold, great day. Good way to warm up the house and make it smell good.

Chicken noodle. Chicken, onions, celery, leftover pasta that was in the freezer, and a zuke. Herbs and spices. Fortify with a little red wine.
    Simmer.

Cioppino. Celery, turnip, onion. Red wine. Spices. Haddock. Mahi Mahi.
    Shrimp. Scallops. "Anchovy water" (tin of anchovies blitzed in a glass of water). Simmer.

That's 5 fishes in one dish. Three fishes, a mollusk, and a crustacean, if you want to be technical about it. We're doing "Feast of the Seven Fishes" on Xmas eve this year with our friends, and this dish will knock off 5 in one fell swoop!

T

NbyNW and TexasF355F1 like this.
  6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Lol. I was wondering if someone would ask about that.

They were hot a **** so I cut them into pieces.

7. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    I like this thread where we’re not talking about what’s wrong with the cars. But something I understand, food. I’ll keep up.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had homemade tamales.

*not made by me

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Made by whom? Best tamales here seem to be made by little old Mexican ladies. When our washing machine was on the fritz a while back, we went to a local laundromat. Some old lady used to stop by, selling tamales from an igloo cooler. Sketchy as heck, but everyone else was buying then. Man, where they tasty!
    T

wax likes this.
  10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly! Best thread on F-chat. No mystery electronic glitches, no angst about dealer games, no worries over whether or not to spec CF. Just good clean foodie-ing!
    T

11. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  12. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

13. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

We do talk about drives to get food... So some basic car related stuff mixed in!
    Ray

14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    They were made by my friend who is Mexican. Lol

Supposedly I'm getting some more from another friend but we'll see about that.

15. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Just left over homemade lasagna. When we had commercial apple orchards, most of the employee's from Mexico. Id get Tamales around Christmas time from their wives. Man that was some good eats!

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    TexasF355F1 likes this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sushi & a 'tini? Good way to start a meal.
    NbyNW...Since I know you like a good sweet, here is a dessert I whipped up last night. Based on something my grandma made when we were kids.
    They have a sweetened ricotta and chocolate chip filling. She used to deep fry them. I tried to be moderately more healthy (and they're
    already a bit of a gut bomb!) - so I baked them. The old gal would make a ton of them, and then only once every 4 or 5 Xmases as they
    were an ordeal. With 8 kids & almost 20 grandkids though, they wouldn't last very long. However, as grandma's favorite - she'd hide a couple
    from the hordes and masses, for us to enjoy with coffee once the holiday madness was over.

Alas, no one write the recipe down, so I made them based on memory...T

18. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Looks great! Powdered sugar reminds me of beignets at Cafe Du Monde. I’d like to have a bag of those right now.
    My sweet tooth is more talk... pie and cup cakes occasionally, haven’t had one in a while. Wife isn’t into baking. But still working on Halloween candy. Meant to bring it to work today to get rid of it. We have to get candy each year, but in almost 10 years at our house no trick or treaters.
    Ray

19. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Mmmm. Cafe du Monde beignets are one of those famous dishes that actually lives up to the hype.
    When my wife & I first went to NO together, we made a bee line for CdM. Learned a valuable lesson -
    don't wear dark clothing and eat beignets! :)

T

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yep. Down here in Texas, you can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting an awesome Tex-Mex joint.
    Our former neighbors made tamales @ Xmas, and they were good. But, one year her mother visited
    and made tamales. Oh Mama! The old lady probably used manteca (lard)...T

22. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

23. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  24. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

About 7 hours somewhat direct - Rapid to Cody. We took the scenic route around WY.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  25. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I was really hoping you'd say 15 minutes because you were just across the border. lol