308 QV engine rebuild | FerrariChat

308 QV engine rebuild

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ray F, Nov 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Hi all, my faultlessly maintained 85 QV has now done 115,000 miles and - whilst still running well - I'm contemplating a rebuild in the near future. I was wondering what mods would be useful - something that might increase the torque in particular - and also whether to have the valve mods made so as to run on unleaded and to run on waterless coolant?

Would value your opinions...

thanks, Ray.

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    In my opinion the mods you can make are largely limited by the stock mechanical fuel system. How stock do want the engine to look/remain? You can increase the compression and maybe change the crank stroke and a few other tricks. But if you want real horsepower improvements, you will need to go to a programmable EFI and then you can do almost anything (turbo!). No need to do any valve mods for unleaded fuel, it is compatible now.. But I am sure you will need new valve guides at 115k miles.
    I am sure some others will pipe in as well.
    Good luck.

3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Maybe just increase the displacement to a 3.2 and chase the 328 engine specs by changing whatever would turn it into a 328 engine. It will-look stock and give you a bit more umph.

4. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    There's very little if anything you can do to a QV/328 to increase its output without spending serious money. At 115K you would reasonably expect yours to be down on power a little, but unless its drinking oil etc then probably not that much.

First thing I would do is get it compression and leakdown tested to get an idea as to how much wear there might be. If the compression is good and even across all 8 then in the absence of any other known issues I'd probably leave well alone. If it needs a rebuild then that plus a service of the injection & ignition systems might yield a surprising amount.

If you decide to build a serious motor then as always don't put the cart before the horse...sort out the suspension & brakes first!

Options to add more power: EFI & programable ignition will add a bit and improve fuel consumption no end. Either Nick's Forza setup or throttle bodies if you can find a manifold. Either one will run to thousands.

After that its those plus head work & if you have a ton of cash spare then you can go as far as a 360 crank & new pistons for a truckload of extra power. Good five figure sums needed to achieve that though.

...or there is forced induction,

Its all been done (but usually at significant cost). There are plenty of threads about different engine configs.

FWIW I looked at most options available to increase power output on my 328 but in the end decided to leave well alone and enjoy the thing for what it is. If it needed a rebuild I would almost certainly leave it bone stock.

5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    ferrariowner mentioned it already in post #2, but no valve work needed for unleaded, the stock QV engine is already designed for unleaded fuel. Evans waterless coolant does not need any specific changes, either, just follow the procedure to drain as much of the old antifreeze as possible, run the prep fluid through, then you're good to go.

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've read quite a bit on this, and have yet to determine the benefit of switching to waterless coolant.

Martin308GTB, Crowndog and waymar like this.
  7. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
  8. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
  9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Is this something like nitrogen filled tyres ?

Best from Germany
    Martin

newark_308 and thorn like this.
  10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A set of high compression pistons and a set of Euro camshafts and a pair of a Euro Digiplex boxes,
    You should have something close to 275 HP and if you want to go a little further, maybe a port and
    Polish heads should be enough for a starter.

Crowndog likes this.
  11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Wow! I didn't know that there were heads being made in Poland!

Pero, Cuddy K and Martin308GTB like this.
  12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  13. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    No, it's very real - and highly recommended by Nick's Forza Ferrari.

Here's the Evans Waterless Coolant website: https://www.evanscoolant.com/

Here's the explanation from Nick about the advantages and benefits: https://www.nicksforzaferrari.net/evans-coolant.html

Water is an excellent fluid for cooling as long as it remains in a liquid state, but when water turns to steam it has virtually no capacity for heat transfer. Evans waterless coolant is a superior fluid for transferring heat in engines because it remains in a liquid state until above 375°F—well above the operating temperature of an engine.
    Within an engine cooling system, the hottest surfaces are those adjacent to the combustion chamber, specifically the cylinder liners and cylinder head. These hot spots cause water to vaporize, preventing efficient cooling and causing loss of performance and unnecessary engine damage. When the coolant fails in this way the engine becomes even hotter, causing more hot spots and more steam.

Evans waterless coolants will not boil around these engine hotspots, maintaining efficient cooling performance even when the engine is put under extreme conditions. When water turns to steam it pressurizes the cooling system, putting stress on hoses and other components. The significantly higher boiling point of Evans coolants means significantly less pressure than water, resulting in a less stressed cooling system.

Water contains oxygen, which causes corrosion and also allows electrolytic activity which further damages engine metals. Evans waterless coolants eliminate corrosion and electrolytic activity, significantly increasing the life of the engine & also making it much easier to dissasemble Ferrari engines if needing a rebuild due to the lack of electrolosis caused by the Evans Coolant. Do your mechanic a favor, install Evans Coolant. I have been persoanlly been using it in all my cars since 2001, you should too!

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Evans boils at a higher temp, but it's less effective than standard 50/50 glycol for heat transfer. So the coolant isn't boiling, but the heat is also not leaving the engine as quickly.

Under proper pressure, 50/50 boils around 260F (and with a functioning water pump, isn't hanging around static in the engine.)

I respect Nick's opinion, but I feel that if your coolant is boiling at standard running temp, then you have far greater problems than not using waterless coolant.

Martin308GTB, 308 milano and JCR like this.
  15. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  16. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I love the "water contains oxygen" bit :p

Pero, newark_308 and Martin308GTB like this.
  17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ironic, considering the main ingredient in Evans is C2H6O2.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  18. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    What put me off waterless coolant was that apparently it's flammable. I'd rather my engine overheated than the car burned out.

19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    A recommendation from a source many of us hold in high regard.

If the coolant has turned to steam, it has changed the volume of the coolant significantly enough to open the pressure relief valve in the expansion tank cap causing a discharge of coolant. A test for the sufficiency of the boiling point of any coolant is whether it causes a large discharge from the expansion tank. Most coolants are sufficient.

Engine designers must ensure there is sufficient coolant circulation to provide sufficient cooling to those localized hot spots. A clean engine has no problem. A poorly maintained cooling system could certainly have oxide deposits which could gravely reduce the engine's cooling capacity. At that point, a coolant with the highest available heat transfer capacity will help the most.

The maximum pressure of the cooling system is set by the pressure rating of the expansion tank cap, typically 1.1 bar (16 psi). The characteristics of the liquid coolant do not affect this.

The biggest source of oxygen in the 3x8 system could be a dangling vent style expansion tank cap, which is the incorrect type for the 3x8. If the system ingests air every heat/cool cycle, oxygen will be introduced into the system. If the coolant cannot absorb the air, then no oxygen will be absorbed either. Most coolants have significant anti-corrosion additives.

Wbo?

20. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It shouldn’t be no more flammable than the gasoline which you have more of in your car than the waterless coolant.

21. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Yeah but it's two lots of hoses to develop leaks and the cooling system has a lot of hoses and clamps.

derekw likes this.
  22. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Thanks for the ideas all.

23. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Try pouring 50% water & ethylene glycol on a hot header and let me know what you see : - ).

24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Pure ethylene glycol will flash. But 50/50? I believe you'll see a pool of warm coolant on the floor.

Image Unavailable, Please Login