Gear whine at 80 mph | FerrariChat

Gear whine at 80 mph

Discussion in '360/430' started by zsnnf, Nov 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I have recently purshased a 2009 Scuderia with about 20,000 miles. I love it! But, there is a gear noise/whine (or what sounds like one to me) right at 80 mph. Not there at 78 mph and gone at 82 mph. I have been told by a dealer that this noise is normal...(!!!???) and there is nothing that can be done about it. After about an hour in the car at that speed you are looking for ear plugs.
    So I will put it out to the Ferrari world, Does ANYONE have a gear noise/whine in their Scud at 80 mph??

Thank you for your responses.

Rick

catdog likes this.
  2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

What is "gear whine"? is it a whine while changing gear or there's a whine around the gearbox area while you are cursing at 80mph?

3. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    it is a steady whine/howl while cruising at 80 in 6th gear. It changes pitch a little if you shift down to 5th, but it is still there. It also changes pitch based on throttle load.

catdog likes this.
  4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

are you sure it comes from gearbox not from wheel? maybe a wheel bearing?

5. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    A wheel bearing would typically be a growl.

Any gear whine is bad... my buds race a 1974 Elite Lotus and it didn't sound right to me as it went by lap after lap. I mentioned it to them but they kept going until... KABOOM!

Btw LOTUS is short for "Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious"

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    If I had a gear whine I would be cursing at all speeds.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sounds like something else to me... Are you sure its not one of those cheap and nasty air inlet gaskets or perhaps a header gasket has gone bad. They are a failure weak spot and when they fail ever so slightly they can make a whistling sort of noise... Car needs to go on a diagnostic computer to see if anything can be identified. There is no way I would accept this from the selling dealer that they 'all' do this. They all don't!

catdog likes this.
  8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

usually if I have a noise somewhere, (any noise, that is), i have to locate the noise first. it is a little difficult. but ask somebody who's in business for a while locally will pinpoint it. Internet won't help you to locate the noise. We could help you once you know where exactly the noise's coming from, though.

9. Bwtyler85

Bwtyler85 Karting

Oct 25, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ben Tyler
    I'd be looking at the diff gears for the whine noise. If is still present in 5th or 6th at that speed would be diff. What oil are you running. Also could take to a workshop with a dyno so can run at 80 and poke your head around to isolate which area is coming from.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

10. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    i agree, the noise is probably the diff. But because I was told they all do this, my question was "Does anyone else have a Scud that has a diff or trans whine at 80 mph? Is this a common issue? /normal?

11. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Classic differential whine. This typically happens when some work has been done to the transmission (i.e. synchros replaced, gears replaced, bearings replaced, differential clutch pack replaced, or if it was simply disassembled and then reassembled for some reason). It could just also happen over time as the bearings wear down, causing a geometry shift. Unfortunately if you re mike (i.e. correctly set the gear teeth depth) at this point, the whine may differ or be reduced but still won't go away as now you have an incorrect wear pattern in the teeth. You don't want to just replace the differential either as this will only be a temporary fix. The only way to truly fix the problem is if you replace all of the bearings AND the ring and pinion, and properly set it up. Of course because of the acute geometry change, you might end up with a gear whine issue (not the differential). Replacing all the gears as well will solve the problem. However, at that point, you may as well purchase a new transmission.
    All this is coming straight from Carl Ryalls, who has personally rebuilt over fifty (50) 360 and 430 transmissions. The Ferrari dealers and Indy's send their transmissions to this guy.
    To answer your question, my 360 (which is not much different than your transmission) differential started whining from the day I got it back from an Indy here in the Bay Area (which no longer exists) after he replaced my differential clutch pack. Since then, Carl has replaced both my 1st and 2nd synchro pack and my 3th and 4th synchro pack (which was damaged from an unrelated issue) and the transmission is just phenomenal now.
    I know other people with similar differential whines, they just roll with it.

catdog likes this.
  12. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Thank you for taking the time for such a well thought out response!
    Anyone else out there with this classic differential whine?

AHudson and catdog like this.
  13. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Without hearing it it is hard to tell. Straight cut transmission gears like those in the Scud do make a whining noise. I hear it in mine when I'm cruising but it isn't obnoxiously loud.

14. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My '99 Modena 6 speed coupe has a whine at 65 MPH. Not loud, but noticeable. I don't worry about it. My 348 did the same thing and my friends 355 does the same thing. I tried some different diff oils, such as Redline, which in the case of the 348 made a slight improvement. I haven't tried anything other than the shell helix in the 360 because the noise isn't really a bother. Car has 23K miles on it.

catdog likes this.
  15. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    My car has a whine all the time :D:D:D

16. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Time to kick her out.

17. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    :D

Mine has a whine most of the time and then a loud sigh of relief when releasing the pressure ;)

catdog likes this.