dash removal | FerrariChat

dash removal

Discussion in '308/328' started by Stephen B., Nov 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    Greetings, It was suggested I move my post over here for better response. I seem to have a loose connection on the back of my fuel gauge in my 1975 308 GT4. Wondering if there is an easier way to get back there other than removing the front dash panel. After reading the repair manual it looks quite labor intensive, don't really want to disassemble the dash if I don't have to. Any info is most appreciated.

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    There are a few screws behind the indicator lights that allow removal of the instrument panel
    There are quite a few definitive threads to be found here

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I have my gauge panel out now on my 1982 308GTSi if you need any pictures.

4. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I moved the dash (instrument panel) on my GT4 out a few inches about 15 years ago but don't remember the details. IIRC, the heater control cables were a big problem and the dash pad overhang prohibits getting in behind the dash until you pull the panel pretty far out. I would try going in from underneath, pulling the dash would be a last resort.

I believe the "hidden screws behind the indicator lights" is for the GTB/S, the GT4 dash is completely different.

5. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    The gt4 dash won't come out intact without dropping the steering column out of the way, which is a complete pita.

It might be possible to get to the retaining knurled nuts on either of the speedo or tacho and remove that through the panel, which would then give you room to access the fuel gauge wiring though the hole. Can't recall if you can get to them from underneath, or if you will have to remove one of the side panels (heater or fan/hazard) which can be a challenge in itself if the captive nuts spin (as mine did).