Ferrari 288 GTO wrecked, how many | FerrariChat

Ferrari 288 GTO wrecked, how many

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by tomgt, Nov 8, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers

Cavalcade 2017

How many were wrecked?
    Do all 272 still exist or not?
    Did Eurospares parted out a 288?

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    FWIW this GTO went back to Ferrari SpA and has been fully repaired.

3. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Ok. Do all 272 still exist?

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The damage doesn’t look too severe. It’s a shame however they can be fixed. It’s also a shame when it’s not the exotic drivers fault.

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I can't really say, I have heard of 1 or 2 that were badly burned, but then I have also heard they were being rebuilt.

With current values, there is every incentive to rebuild.

6. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Badly burned needs new car to be manufactured. Chassis, engine and gearbox do not survive when it burns to a crisp.

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Essentially.

8. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ...all of which costs less than to manufacture than the value once rebuilt, thereby making it worthwhile. I've never understood how burnt/crashed cars rebuilt by modern day restorers are worth even close to an original example. If all the paint on an original Picasso melted in a fire, would anyone pay for the same canvas repainted/recreated by a modern expert painter? If I buy a vintage ferrari, I don't want one with major the body panels built and formed in 2018 for example.

so nobody knows how many?

tomgt likes this.
  9. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    It's kind of weird because a lot of older cars weren't that good to begin with, despite their current values. It's far from a Picasso analogy.

Acacg, tres55, Robert W and 2 others like this.
  10. The Nutsack

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The point is when you pay those prices, you're buying a work of mechanical and visual art. Don't you want it to be created by the original artists and not some modern restoration shop (as talented and skillful as they are)

tomgt likes this.
  11. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The Picasso is unique, where as a 288 is a collection of components made in large numbers. You could take 10 288s strip them to a bare chassis and block, mix up all the parts and re assemble all 10, they would all still essentially be the same again and no expert could tell the difference.

Better to have a phoenix example for people to enjoy than a pile of ashes that no one can appreciate anymore.

There are a few pics out their of some distressed 288s, Marcel identified the VINs of those cars at the time on fchat.

BMWairhead, INTMD8, m5shiv and 2 others like this.
  12. The Nutsack

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm not saying they should not be rebuilt and enjoyed. Just that to me a rebuilt car is not nearly as valuable as a more original one. I recall that a recent 250 GTO was rebuilt essentially from a bare chassis and still sold for a BIG number. To me, that car is closer to a replica than a real 250 GTO, but just because they started with a (totally destroyed) original chassis it was considered an original car, doesn't make sense to me.

LVP488 likes this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Years ago Ferrari rebuilt a fire damaged 288 GTO. It was essentially a new GTO that the owner received. That car was assembled by the factory to fix any damage done by the fire.

Acacg likes this.
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It is logistically impossible to know exactly how many have burned worldwide to this very day, save to say that as someone who tracks the cars closely for business reasons, I'm aware of just 3 cars having serious fires, there may be a couple more, either way it's a relatively small number, a handful covers it.

Given current values, I think all of them will come back, if they haven't begun or completed that process already.

I think burnt/crashed cars do bring significantly less in the market than cars without that history.

Some people are okay with a car going back to it's original creator or artisan Ferrari SpA to be reborn, and prefer this over having an independent restorer do the work.

15. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    how many new cars could ferrari build if they decided to?

16. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Ask Ferrari Classiche

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So would you pay the same $$ for an original 288 in perfect condition than you would for a burnt and rebuilt at Ferrari Spa in 2018? Or less? Or more?

18. The Nutsack

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I hope the original is worth more, and it certainly would be to me. The 2018 version, even if built by Ferrari, is more like a pur sang Bugatti in my eyes.

I think it would be really cool for Ferrari to announce a limited run of ~100 brand new 288 GTOs, F40s, or whatever. People could buy those cars and actually drive/enjoy them, although I suspect they would overcharge all the LaF owners, who would stick them in garage as a "modern collectible" rather than enjoy them...

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    An original perfect condition GTO is always worth the most.

Ferrari SpA is simply a good option to save a damaged car.

Many original GTOs and F40s are regularly & enthusiastically enjoyed.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1. This analogy never makes sense. No matter how hand built, cars are built from diagrams by workmen and fabricators, be it at the factory when new or by a restoration shop 30 years later. Part of the whole point in a production car (no matter how exclusive or limited in number) is that it can be replicated more than once.

Even a Singer Porsche ...handmade from start to finish, is built to a formula.

Additionally, cars are meant to be serviced and if needed, repaired. It's inherent in their creation. The lines between new tires, new hoses, new leather, new paint, new manifolds, new engine, and new body panels are arbitrary ones.

I'd argue this is especially the case when the origin DNA of the car brand is racing. Racing = crashing = new parts/rebuilt cars.

A painting possesses none of these traits. It is a singular thing that is meant to sit on a wall and be looked at, not used up and worn out, then fixed and put back on the road. However, even if we accept the comparison - conservation is an accepted part of maintaining art for the ages, and yes, that often includes cleaning and "touching up" a painting. As long as the conservators are good at their jobs, you'll never know it happened. I'd say it's fair to apply that same leniency to mechanics and restorers.

I'd be happy with a properly rebuilt GTO.

GSF355, luigisayshello, Acacg and 4 others like this.
  21. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Look up 'the ship of Theseus'. People have been discussing this for 2000 years.

Szmar likes this.
  22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Anyway, between an old, banged unrestored example and a brand new "reconstruction", I prefer the old one. It's a vintage car, it's supposed to have some "history" behind.

23. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    I saw one in San Diego. Mistook it for a 308 and passed it by, then caught the tail.... first glance mistakes....

24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I should have bought the one off the dealer's floor in 1987 for $85K, but it looked "just like the 308 I bought for $50K"! dah!

slracing likes this.
  25. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Given current values there are probably minus half a dozen wrecked GTO's ;)