488 Pista - qualifying demands | Page 25 | FerrariChat

488 Pista - qualifying demands

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Doctor Mark, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Have to agree...my most anticipated new performance car.
    I love noisy cars though.
    But my Tesla S is the car I’ve owned the longest in my life and my fav. Well, there was an e36 M3 that is close.
    So there it is. Somebody will hate on that I’m sure but I love it.

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    EV is the future. Anyone can contract a CF tub, suspension geometry, or aero design, but EV powertrains are a specialty and that is Tesla's specialty. I'm very interested in what they will be able to accomplish.

Everyone else is working in the stop-gap, hybrid tech.

3. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Hmmmm.......I think EV is part of a future but THE future, nah. Anyone who believes that and argues that a 100% EV world is around the corner is living in a bubble built on flawed arguments and conveniently overlooked truths. I'm not a Tesla hater but then again I haven't drunk the kool-aid either, by your statement everyone else is wrong and only Tesla is right, now what are the chances of that? o_O

theplanner likes this.
  4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i thought TSLA specialty was garnering tax credits....

Bundy, LVP488 and gsm348 like this.
  5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I own a model S. I used to own a Model X. Excitement is not how I would describe how they drive.

Competent, fast but not exciting.

Bundy, stavura, theplanner and 2 others like this.
  6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Like the oil that cars run on? Like the factories States "pay" companies to build?

Without the tax credits Tesla wouldn't exist and EVs would be a decade behind. Auto manufacturers are not innovators. It's why they are behind Google in self driving and behind Tesla in EV technology.

Certain technologies are worth subsides. All military technology is tax payer funded...

dustman likes this.
  8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    But neither is a rolls Royce or Eclass. Tesla's current cars are just cars. They could easily contract with suppliers and Motorsport teams to make their cars more exciting aside from real engine noise.

I would assume they will make the Roadster exciting, just like the Nio is probably exciting.

NeilF8888 likes this.
  9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Happens all the time that someone is right and everyone else is wrong. Mortgage backed securities? Apple? Amazon?

No manufacturer is putting much money into any other tech than electric. Hydrogen is a science fair project compared to batteries/EV.

Current batteries might not be the final storage medium, but electrical energy certainly is. There really is no viable alternative at this time or for the foreseeable future.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Haven’t heard a single person on this forum talk about how engaging and exciting an e class or rolls is either.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. No doubt ev is the future but I have zero interest in the vapor ware known as the roadster.

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    you're just Hilarious

stavura and SoCal to az like this.
  12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    last i saw, the EV preceded the gas... and lost

it wouldn't exist because it is not economically efficient

13. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    One more "off-topic" comment. My second hobby is building home theaters (in my homes). I prefer front projection, large screens, etc., but just as important to me is the audio. When Dolby Atmos became available I immediately replaced my all of my audio processors, and added 6 speakers to my ceiling to accommodate the new immersive audio channels, because I know this adds to the overall experience of movie watching.

I feel the same way about my cars. To me, driving electric is like watching a movie without sound, it's just not the same........

Jim

Bundy, stavura, of2worlds and 4 others like this.
  14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    why can't you just pump it into the speakers then just like the movies you watch? you enjoy watching movies with fake sound, that sounds amazing and adds to the experience, so why is it so important that the engine noise is real?

We have the technology to procedurally generate all sorts of data. Simulating a great exhaust sound will only require good speakers and actually trying to design the cabin for it better.

15. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said Jim

of2worlds likes this.
  17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    NO

stavura, theplanner and Shadowfax like this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    An EV sports car is perfect for someone who doesn't drive a car, like noone.

Bundy, stavura, Ash Patel and 3 others like this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Seriously!

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm not lecturing anyone. Buy whatever you want. ICE is on it's way out. Fight to hold on, buy old cars, do whatever you want. I don't care LOL

This thread is about qualifying for a car with only 2 pedals and a turbo. 10 years ago people were crying like a baby about the loss of the manual. 5 years ago they were crying about the loss of the NA engine and exhaust noise. I think you know what people will be crying about next...

The wonderful thing about EVs and digital technology is that you'll be able to simulate analog systems very well.

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    So you established there's a whole lot of crying going on o_O

SoCal to az likes this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Unlike EV, DCT and turbochargers did not spread because they were outrageously subsidised.
    They were chosen because of their efficiency (that's progress) and not because of political bias.
    In France in the last 20 years the share of diesel engines jumped from less than 25% to more than 70%, just because of fiscal policies - now the official stance is that diesel is evil because there's more in pollution than just CO2 emissions; seems to me electric cars are the new diesel...
    While the petrol ICE needs to be superseded some day (just like steam before, again, that's just progress), the current support for batteries based electric vehicles is highly questionable.
    I'd rather see real research going on, be it about electricity, hydrogen or whatever.

Could anyone remind me the title of this thread btw? ;)

stavura, theplanner and Napoli like this.
  23. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Have you looked at the rate it would take to recycle out the current ice fleet? Based on US sales, it's something like 27 years, if we only sold electric cars starting today. Nevermind we will have a battery recycling and rare Earth mineral issue....you know since most are in Afghanistan and places that well, don't really like us. Or the fact that no one has a car that can do 400 miles without a recharge. I don't have 20 min to wait on my trips for a partial just to get me over the hurdle. Or that we don't have the infrastructure in place to supply the electricty demand.

AClark likes this.
  24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Now I have to disagree with you here (for once!)

I drove the Perf Spyder this morning, hit 1k miles finally WOOT WOOT!, and then jumped into the P90D. No sound but damn, the way it hauls ass is exciting. True. Just a different exciting. BTW, when I have driven non P/D Teslas, I agree they are boring AF.

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Never said it's going to happen overnight. It will happen very soon for exotics though since there is no price concern. You can't swing another $50K for your battery in your $350K Ferrari?

Also, keep in mind that the amount of time you'll spend topping up on a road trip will be offset by the other 99% of the time your car is charged 100% when you wake up every morning. It takes what, 5-10 minutes just to drive to a gas station, start the pump, pump the gas, and the leave? You'll never have to do that again.