What happens if I leave my battery disconnected? | FerrariChat

What happens if I leave my battery disconnected?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bluebottle, Nov 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I may have to leave my 550 for protracted periods over the winter in a garage without power. Normally I have it connected to a battery conditioner.

Rather than let the battery run down, I am thinking off turning off the power by using the cut-off switch under the bonnet (hood). What would happen if I did this?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I do it all the time on my 308. Also four more cars.

Matt

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I do not own a 550 but I did search for you and found a thread with a relearn process once you connect

It was stated that if you do this that after a number of drive cycles it will learn anyway.. personally I would do it

1) Turn off all accessories, especially the A/C and radio.
    2) Disconnect the battery using the Battery Disconnect Switch.
    3) Wait until the car is full cold (overnight) or 30 minutes if she is already cold.
    4) Put the key into the ignition and wait 30 seconds.
    5) Turn the ignition to On and wait 30 seconds.
    6) Turn the ignition to Off and wait 30 seconds.
    7) Turn the ignition to On, wait for the Check OK lamp and start the engine.
    8) Let the engine idle for 10 minutes with no inputs
    9) After 10 minutes, you can turn on the A/C and radio, inserting the code if it is a Becker radio.
    10) Drive the car gently for 20 minutes to let all the self-learning procedures complete.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Might you have left out step #3.5? I don't see how you can do step #7 if the battery is still disconnected in step #2.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I guess the original post were it came from was incorrect as well

For this post OP would just make sure everything is off , connect battery and start from 4

Sorry and thanks for point that out

energy88 likes this.
  6. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Exactly what I have done this the past couple years, for the same reasons you mention
    Then turn on the cut off switch come spring, after 5-6 months of hibernation, she starts right up, follow the startup procedure thereafter.
    In my opinion, its like pulling the battery and storing it on a shelf, it has extremely minor residual drain over time.

I am not certain if the alarm on the car will continue to drain the battery slowly, I don't believe the alarm disconnects as part of the cut off disconnection? Can someone chime in on this?
    Ron

7. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
    I do this with most of my cars when they are not In use. I prefer this method over recharging and jump starting my cars.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Will have to modify my procedure because of course you have to turn the battery disconnect switch back on. Assumed most folks would know that, but...

On Motronic 5.2 and 7.1.1 Ferraris with the 3 fob alarm system, the alarm system bypasses the disconnect switch. Because of this, there is still a drain on the battery with the switch off. So if no maintainer is used on the battery, removing the ground terminal may be a better choice for long term storage.

What you do to earlier Ferraris without an alarm is often not directly transferable to later model Ferraris.

Once I looked, I see I had already updated the procedure with a few other notes included. Guess I thought the numbers were superfluous.

Run Cycle

Run cycle.

Turn battery disconnect switch off and turn off all accessories (stereo, A/C, etc).
    Let engine get completely cold or wait at least 30 minutes.
    Reconnect disconnect switch.
    Disarm immobilizer with the fob.
    Insert key in ignition and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition to on and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition off and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition on, wait for Check OK, and start. May have to push fob again if 120 seconds have elapsed since last fob actuation.
    Let idle with no input whatsoever for 10 minutes.
    Turn accessories back on and drive gently for 10-15 minutes at least.
    You will have to insert stereo code, if required.

308 GTB and flash32 like this.
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thanks on behalf of me and the ferrari community

10. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Do make sure the battery top is clean. In spite of disconnecting it, a light film of the right make up of dust on a battery case can lead to loss of voltage, particularly when the humidity is high.

11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I would also add that to lower the drivers side window slightly is a good thing because the windows will of course not work after the switch is shut off. I would say to lower the window JUST enough is best because then it is harder for «foreigners» like birds, mosquitos etc. to find their way into the car. I would also say that to check that the car is completely clean is very important. You never know what kind of small animals like rats, mice etc. there is in a garage. They smell the slightest amount of everything biologic things. A smal spill of soda (sugar), forgotten things under a seat like candy of whatever attracts these small creeps. It can be nightmare when you get back and there is something small walking silently inside your car... I am talking of experience. Had a can of coca cola in the mid console of my BMW. A sudden stop made it spill. I had nothing to dry it with since I was not prepared for it and had to clean it up at the nearest gas station. It thought it was ok, but a liquid finds its way whereever it flows. Later I parked the car and left it in a garage for about one month. When I came back, there were ants going around inside the dashboard and carpets... i vacuumed them all I thought. So driving off again was not especially fun. And when you feel there is something on your leg while you drive at highway speeds at dark.... it gave me panic! Because you know it is there, but not what it is. So CLEAN everything the best you can.

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Thankyou all for your contributions, very much appreciated. Two supplementary questions:
    1. Can I still lock (and later unlock) the car with the disconnect switch at "off", or will I have to leave the car unlocked?
    2. From what you have said above, if I use the disconnect switch, and lock the car (assuming I can) the alarm will be activated. If I were to disconnect the battery to eliminate any battery drain by the alarm, will the alarm not go off, thinking someone has tampered with the power supply?
    Thanks again for your help.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- The alarm will still have power, but the remote unlock and window lowering system will not. That is why everybody says to leave a window down slightly. You can disarm the system with the fob, but nothing else will work. You can lock the car with the key.

Alarm may indeed go off with ground terminal connector removed, but since it is powered by the rechargeable battery, you may still be able to disarm it with the fob. Have not tried that myself. Also disarming the alarm before removing the ground connector may prevent the alarm from going off at all.

14. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    I use the battery cut off all the time on my 550 even though i do have power in my garage.
    Just lower the windows a touch and i don’t bother locking her
    Never had any issues.

15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    OK, thanks for that. I think I'll go with just turning the disconnect switch off instead of physically disconnecting the battery terminal, having first lowered the window a touch, lock with the key and set the alarm with the fob.

Then I should be able to access the car again by disarming the alarm with the fob and unlocking the door with the key, right?

16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The locking system will not function is disconnect switch is off ..

17. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    When I disconnect the cutoff switch the doors stay unlocked. May need to key lock them if you require.
    My locking system does not function as well with the fob

18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #18 F456M, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Are you sure the alarm is working with the battery switch off?? My understanding is that there is a small battery inside the siren, so that if the alarm goes off beeping, and the thievs take off the battery cable from the battery, the siren will continued to beep. I thought that the alarm is completely inactive when the battery cables are removed or the cut off switch is turned to off.

I always lock and arm my 550 with the fob even for longer periods. Now this summer, I have mounted another battery in the spare wheel well with a separate cut off switch inside the cabin so I can add more volts and amps if needed. I am also going to mount a smaller outside switch so I can parallell the two batteries if the main battery is drained. That way, the can can be left anywhere (even outside in rain) and still be completely dry inside and start right up if the alarm have drained the battery. Also, the windows go down when the outside parallell switch is enganged.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The picture also show the two toolboxes which is all kinds of tools in one, and spare oil filters, bulbs, etc. In the other. A beige rugg is also there to protect the rear shelf IF I need to put some thing up there which should be in the trunk. And one seat cover for the dog! I have never had te original toolkit so this is my own version. Two emergency triangles are also there, very important if you get stuck on a twisty road, one some 100 m. for cars coming in each directon!

19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I never expected this thread to be quite so interesting when I started it!

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Erik- Yup, the alarm bypasses the disconnect switch to keep the rechargeable batteries in the siren charged. Not a huge current draw, but can be a problem over a long time span.