Tyre pressure sensors | FerrariChat

Tyre pressure sensors

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Drew Waters, Nov 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    My Maranello 575 issues a warning periodically that the pressure sensor needs maintenance. My previous workshop simply cleaned some component and all worked well. I have exported the car recently and engaged a new workshop, who are unaware of the ability to clean the components. Does anyone have a brief suggestion on how to do so? do the wheel sensors have bateries in them which may require replacing, as well?
    Thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome: the senders in the wheel typically last about five years maybe a little longer - if you have no record of changes and are getting false readings.......

There are threads about their replacement in the 575 section for example

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The batteries in the pressure sensors go dead over time. You can have a shop with a Ferrari dedicated diagnostic computer read out the remaining life of the batteries in the sensors. Most likely yours are dead.

4. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    To add onto this, 99.9% of ALL Ferrari TPMS are vin specific. It is also highly recommended you use genuine Ferrari TPMS as aftermarket ones will inevitably generate errors. Granted, OEM TPMS will be more money, but it's piece of mind knowing the parts you're buying fit YOUR Ferrari, based upon YOUR vin.

Also, yes, the batteries can and do go bad.

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Kinda one of the cheaper wear items

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    One issue with using genuine Ferrari TPMS sensors, is that Ferrari has superceded the part numbers of most of the sensors multiple times to newer generation sensors. The new sensors have the advantage of having a longer battery life. The downside is that they are typically incompatible with the original TPMS ECU that was installed in the car, so to use the newer sensors, the ECU will have to be replaced with the updated ECU as well.

7. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    The newer, superseded sensors FROM FNA, do not require a replacement of the TPMS ECU. However if one sensor needs to be replaced and that sensor has been superseded and/or replaced by a newer number, then the other sensors also need to be replaced. But mandatory replacement of the TPMS ECU is incorrect.

8. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It depends on the car. On early 430's you must replace the ECU, when you replace the sensors with the updated Ferrari part. There are many threads on this issue and I have run into the problem multiple times. Even the part numbers supplied by Ferrari on the DEIS using the cars VIN have been wrong. I can not tell you the number of times our parts department has given out the wrong TPMS sensors. They always have the updated ECU's in stock and the service writers warn the customer that the ECU may need replacement. I had the same issue with 575's. I installed the updated sensors and they were incompatible with the old ECU. Ferrari superceded the 430 and 575 ECU to the same part number. You can get around this by purchasing old version Huf sensors from the aftermarket instead of Ferrari

9. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Per both of our Ferrari Master Technicians, 99.999999% of the time, the TPMS ECU does not need to be replaced when swapping any or all of the TPMS (this goes for all if not most models with TPMS). TPMS are ultra vin specific and are to be ordered as such. Also, I can't stress enough that aftermarket sensors are a crap-shoot; either they'll be fine or they'll throw errors every five seconds. For piece of mind it's always better to use OEM TPMS. If you're not using OEM TPMS from Ferrari you're straight-up gambling whether they'll work correctly or not.

The ECU doesn't need replacing unless it is necessary; the ECU only needs to be replaced if it is physically damaged and/or there is a wiring issue. It is incorrect to say that a customer HAS to replace the TPMS ECU if new and correct genuine Ferrari sensors are being replaced. That is unfortunately just not true.

Have TPMS ECU's been replaced in the past? Maybe, but in my 15 years of selling Ferrari parts at Continental AutoSports I've sold exactly one and it was for a F430 where the customer used aftermarket sensors.

Is it mandatory that the ECU be replaced when new AND correct genuine Ferrari sensors are installed? Absolutely not.

10. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Umm, Huf is the OEM supplier of TPMS sensors to Ferrari. Ferrari does not make the sensors. So you are saying that a Huf replacement TPMS sensor that is identical to the Ferrari part won't work because it doesn't come in a box with a little horse on it? I guess that NGK spark plugs and Bosch fuel injection parts won't work in a Ferrari unless they come in a with a horse on it as well. Give me a break.

PVEferrari likes this.
  11. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    Thanks for all your help guys. I replaced the senders with genuine parts even though the old ones started working again(!). All good now, and a light footprint in maintenance compared to other parts.