CT garage build thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

CT garage build thread

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by jlclt348, Sep 7, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Well, we finally moved into the property this weekend. We're getting ready to pour footings and install new columns in the main house, but even so I'm still pushing this garage forward little by little. HVAC contractor comes out next weekend to quote some options.

In the meantime, we've had a flooding incident so that's something else to keep in mind when it comes to upgrading the structure. The driveway drain cover clogged during heavy rain and backed up a few inches of standing water into the front part of the garage. I'm sure it's not the first time that's happened, so while I hoped to keep this project simple, now I feel like we should take down the sheetrock and see what might be lurking under there. I have feeling we'll find fairly extensive rot.

Wife is already pushing for tear down + rebuild back there. Yikes!

2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Hmmm, sometimes, its just easier and cheaper to pull it down and start again. On a plus that underground car lift will be much easier to install :)

3. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Well, the engineering consultant came out.
    The building structure is bad - it was either built wrong or the people who converted it into living space removed too much structure.

He had two things to say:
    1. The best option is to tear it down and rebuild it
    2. He's the chair of our town's zoning board of appeals and knows if we tear it down we will not be allowed to rebuild it

The structure is outside setbacks, which is grandfathered in, but the grandfathering goes away if we tear it down.
    So, in reality our options are:

1. Rebuild it in place, a section at a time to skirt the zoning regs
    2. Tear it down and build new elsewhere on the property

All that to say it might be a while before we cross the finish line with the project!

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I'd just rip it all down except for one wall (to skirt the regs) and rebuild ground up.

What other options does your property provide, and are they suitable to what you want to build, and a where you would even want a finished product?

5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I've rebuilt the lower 12-18" of almost the whole south wing of my house. Not that big of a deal, just takes time/labor. You can add in more structure as you go.
    If 19633500GT's suggestion will work, I'd explore that, as well. I know of several people who have done exactly that, where that was the regulation.

6. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I do have a spot in mind to rebuild another garage. But I hate to lose the grandfathered space. Right now I'm considering a third option:

when you're not sure what to do... do both!

I could add a brand new 2 car garage closer to the house, relatively soon. Then tackle this barn project in phases at some future date.

So for now it's "hands off" the old barn - no $$ investment for the time being.

My next step is to either track down an existing property survey, or commission a new one, in preparation of submitting a site plan to the town including the proposed additional garage structure.

7. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Here are the two heads for my new Fujitsu split system install. The two heads are fed from a single condensor outside. This heats, cools, and dehumidifies.

8’ ceiling fan ensures heat or cooling are distributed evenly.

I did have the tubing and everything installed for radiant heat as well, but holding off on that for now given that the price of the splits was about half as much as installing and plumbing the boiler for the radiant heat and installing, plumbing, and burying a 500 gallon propane tank (since I dont want to see it).

Plus I have AC and dehumidifier now.

After this winter comes and goes i’ll see if I want to utilize the radiant. You can see the radiant tubing coming up out of the slab in the bottom right corner of the second pic, coiled above the rolling mechanics stool

BTW, i’m in NW CT close to Lime Rock, if you ever wanted to swing by and see the install. Only took a day. Very clean.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
  9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    That's a bit of an extreme way to get a new garage door and respray!!

(I feel your pain and hope the car is ok!)

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    In case I haven't mentioned it before this is a simply amazing place you built. Perhaps my favorite of all of the garages I have seen.

11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Thanks Jim! Appreciate that! It’s been a fun project. More to do, but pretty pleased so far!

12. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  13. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    LOL that's what I thought. Had to look around for my wife when it happened, just to confirm she didn't give the car a little push (she's been after me to replace the old cummy door).

:)

14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    just curious - update?

15. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Reviving this thread. My garage build project is not dead, just very slow moving. "He's only MOSTLY dead."

Couple of updates...first, the main water line burst last winter. Turns out the new garage doors are very tight and waterproof. Got about 3" of standing water across the entire floor that ran out in a mini tidal wave when I opened the door.

Had to tear open the wall to get everything correct.

BJK likes this.
  16. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
  17. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
  18. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    And today we finally ripped out all the ****ty old mechanicals and installed an electric water heater. So much more space in there now.

Speaking of space...overall interior length is 28'. A ferrari 348 is 13'8" so theoretically I can fit two in there, nose to tail