488 Replacement | Page 35 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    So I guess at least this car will be able to beat the 720S? :p

2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Obviously your dealer talked about 488 replacement not the top mid engine new range ( hybrid + 800 hp) ?

3. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Probably but much more expensive too

4. emiliojose47

emiliojose47 Rookie

Nov 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Emilio José Rodríguez Villar
    The way he told me looks like he talked about 488 replacement to be launched at Geneva 2019 autoshow...
    He did not tell me anything about V6 engine for the moment...

5. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    With same power like pista is strange

SoCal to az and F2003-GA like this.
  6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly - all replacements have comfortably eclipsed the previous gen's VS model
    So it sounds strange but in this case maybe because of a hybrid V6 and V8 models
    they want to the replacements to be positioned differently in the hierarchy- will see soon

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Splitting the rear-mid is going to be a real test for Ferrari values. When you only have one truly "exotic" Ferrari to buy (the V8s), it forces all wealth segments to the same car. Whether you're Joe Schmo or Bill Gates, you're buying the same new Ferrari and the entire market is targeted with one car.

By splitting it up though, Bill Gates is no longer buying the "entry" model. He's moving upmarket. I think that could significantly shrink the buyers pool for the replacement. Whereas the Huracan and Aventador are vastly different cars, I don't see that happening with Ferrari. I see Ferrari delivering two excellent, exotic, sporty cars. One isn't going to be a pig with a mediocre transmission with more show than go. Both will be show and go, just one will be better.

8. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
  9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    It's an old mule so none of the bodywork is going to make total or somewhat sense

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It doesn't need to. It will be fast enough.

11. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Hard to believe they are going out there in December when they have that brand new and WARM design palace!
    Maybe they are expecting a bigger crowd this time...

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Don't worry. I'm sure the new option list will recover it and them some. A couple of triple paint jobs will more than cover it....probably pay for the structure as well.

tekaefixe likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m finding the claim that the replacement will have “only” 720 hp hard to believe. That is the same as Pista and what will be by then a 3 year old 720.

740, 750- it can’t be 720. I was looking forward to the replacement 488- but come on man. That ain’t right!! Has to be more! Say it ain’t so!!!

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    How much HP do you want? You can't even use what you have now most of the time. I think this whole HP war has got to a point now where it is becoming irrelevant over a certain figure.

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s not a matter of want. Cars are measured by the power they put out. One expects each new generation to out do the previous. Ferrari of all brands is supposed to be at the top. Now I find out that the replacement is the same as the Pista?

I’ve spent my whole life wanting a Ferrari. Grew up adoring them. Now that I can actually afford one, I’m seeing the brand of my childhood dreams not being able to keep up with competitors. I hope this is all fake news.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Perhaps born a bit too late. Certainly a different culture before going public. But they still make the best engines in the world by far and the total package is still the most special out there IMHO.

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Not at all. Just use 2rs as an example - has only 690hp but the world sees it as the car to beat at the ring - cars with greater HP still struggle against it let alone be able to beat it! Ferrari is globally THE car of desire for many reasons than just outright hp. It is the Italian style-master. I mean just look at Pista!!....those lines!! The thing is gorgeous ! It oozes the Italian styling which the Italians are renown for, and an engine with sound others can only dream of. Way too much emphasis on 720 these days coming from owners on Ferrari forums but on the street, and in real life, the Ferrari remains the car most still aspire to own for the same reasons you still want one and, bought one.

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I own both Ferrari and Mclaren. I’m not some Mclaren homer here. Just an enthusiast. Did you ever stop to think that all the Mclaren owners that you seem to worry about on Ferrari forums are all former Ferrari owners? That should tell you something about Ferrari and it’s direction.

The 2rs doesn’t excite me. Sorry. Anyways, will just have to wait and see what the replacement looks like and performs. I’ll vote with my wallet as I have no blind allegiance to any brand.

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #871 Shadowfax, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Wow OMG! Talk about sensitive! .....not worried about Mac owners at all - have no need to....nor bothered if you like 2rs. If I wanted a 720 I could buy one tomorrow....no shortage of cars. Was just pointing out the obvious with regard to global sentiment and aspiration re who's who in the zoo and, that hp isn't the be all end all that you are making it out to be. Much more to a car than just huge HP....

PS have you ever stopped to think why 458 owners still prefer their cars and, why many still buy less HP cars than the latest with the greatest HP number?

crinoid likes this.
  22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Huh?? Sensitive?? What the hell are you talking about? I made a comment on a car discussion forum.

I realize it’s your schtick to try to paint anyone that doesn’t share your viewpoint about your beloved 2rs as sensitive, especially Mac owners but give it a rest.

Your act is getting old.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    You're heading off topic again...

And beloved 2rs? I thought it was my beloved 488? ....you need to make up your mind.... Can't imagine how you'd deal with me owning a Mac. I'll keep that one up my sleeve....lolol....but I have 3 supers in my stable...just as an fyi heads up.

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Congratulations on your 3 supers. Very happy for you. Must explain why you are so full of such wonderful information.

As far as topic, I’m very much on it. Feel free to ignore my posts if they distract you. No need for you to get side tracked as you have lots of valuable wisdom to share with the board.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #875 Shadowfax, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Ermmm...wonderful information? Ferrari being the object of most peoples (car) desire is not news btw....don't blame me (SF) and put your hate to one side for a moment if you are able, please! Ferrari has much less to worry about than any of the others. Again, having the biggest HP number is not everything as you seem to think.

And to the topic:
    I also don't see it as any real surprise if 488's replacement will preserve Pista's performance credentials in a similar way as 488gtb preserved 458 speciale's standing. The replacement will outperform Pista but not by a great deal. The real differences will most likely be in the interior design, Media interface and changes to the exterior design. Hopefully all quirks will be replaced with functionality.