Cheap DIY Cab B-Pillars fix (Secret revealed) | FerrariChat

Cheap DIY Cab B-Pillars fix (Secret revealed)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by AndruL, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Hello Fellow Fchatters,

Based on popular requests, here is the secret behind this simple cosmetic fix. These are plastic strips that are measured, cut, filed to size of the existing pillars then sanded smooth, primed and painted to match. They will be glued on to the existing Pillars with 3M double sided tape.

If you're handy, you can certainly make these yourself. If not, I can handmade them for you in my spare time for a nominal fee. I have made and shipped a few sets this past weekend. I will only charge for Time and Materials. PM me if interested.

Enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

sixcarbs and paulchua like this.
  2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Interesting. Purely cosmetic. Sort of like putting lipstick on a pig.
    Not being critical. I like the creativity
    The 3M VHB won’t bond long term but if you are very careful,raising and lowering the roof past the interference point this might be a good solution. Thanks for providing an alternative. Looking forward to seeing the cost and reviews.
    Perfect example of thinking outside of the box.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  3. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Thanks, Ron. As I said in my original post, this is not a functional problem but rather a cosmetic one and I could not justify the $1600 price tag on a pair of these so I came up with this simple, cheap, effective cosmetic solution and shared it with the community. You may switch to rubber glue if you wish to have a permanent bond. As for interference, I have tried raising and lowering the top with these on and they cleared fine, see pictures below
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Just curious, the gap between the door and the body at the base of the window strip is like mine, ie. a gap. Was there not some sort of weather strip to fill this gap originally? Looks like water could find a way into the rear window body cavity, if not the interior of the car itself.
    I find that if the base of the trim is bent inwards just a tad, it clears without rubbing and damaging the piece. I think in order to get the perfect seal here, the clearance and rubbing when the top is folded is very tight.

The plastic strip solution is no substitute for replacing the complex moulded part, I have Ron's as long term spares, and the originals are still going strong. But the simpler cosmetic approach has some merit for a car that mostly has the roof down anyways and driven in fair weather. Looks pretty good in the pictures, well done.

AndruL likes this.
  5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    For a more permanent bond, I suggest either CA cement or 3M Super 77.

Looks great!

Matt

paulchua likes this.
  6. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    [QUOTE= Just curious, the gap between the door and the body at the base of the window strip is like mine, ie. a gap. Was there not some sort of weather strip to fill this gap originally? Looks like water could find a way into the rear window body cavity, if not the interior of the car itself.

No, nothing there. My also came with a gap like that.

moysiuan likes this.
  7. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    My Mondiail 8 coupe came with the gap as well
    Best
    Jurgen

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks guys, always wondered if mine was missing some seal there. Never taken the car through an automated car wash to test the seals :)