FERRARIS AT MOTOR SHOWS | Page 16 | FerrariChat

FERRARIS AT MOTOR SHOWS

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PAUL BABER, Dec 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I disagree. 2677GT is clearly a 1st series car. It is a fresh discovery that they really seem to have planned a facelift for the 2nd series, which was then withdrawn (or postponed) for a reason or another and finally the only difference between late S.1 and early S.2 cars is the trunk support changed from telescopic to swing type.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    mcimino and of2worlds like this.
  3. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Dave, I've dug out old magazines from 1961 about the Motor Show, but as yet nothing that shows what I believe is your car. There is an Autocar issue that shows a side-on image of a 250 GTE 2+2, but I'm pretty sure this is a library image / press photo (not one from the show stand).

Secondly, can I applaud you for a moment for (a) having the good sense to ask for expert opinion via this forum (I've lost track of the number of individuals whose first appearance is to boldly claim to know exactly what they have - only for experts to disgree completely), and (b) having the good sense not to turn a 250 GTE in need of a full restoration into a 250 SWB replica!

-Ed

of2worlds and Ferrari27 like this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Just out of curiosity, was this "Speciale" actually built at Pininfarina facilities or was it (too) contracted to Scaglietti ?

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Pretty sure it is a Pininfarina built car. The "f" badge above the Designo di Pininfarina badge is the tell tale of a Pininfarina built car from a Ferrari to a Ford Focus Cabriolet (they built those too :) ).

My pic of the car during Monterey week 2016 with the "f" badge marked.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  6. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Timo I looked over the car too in 2016. Lots of phillips screws - you know what that means

TTR likes this.
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Matthew, I wouldn't be sure the "f" insignia alone guarantees the entire coach building having been conducted at Pininfarinas.

I've been involved with restorations of (non-Ferrari) "Special Edition" (vintage) cars carrying same insignia and featuring aesthetic, cosmetic and/or other luxury(?) appointments/details designed for them by "Pininfarina", but weren't actually built (or even modified) by them or anywhere near Italy. :rolleyes:

I've also heard/read of other special edition, "designer"-model (vintage) cars commissioned by various manufacturers that were sent to Italy in semi-finished state, but the actual hands-on coachwork wasn't necessarily done by the "design-house" itself.

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    From what I remember Pininfarina only built one 365 GTB/4 and that was the 1968 Paris show car. They had their own interpretation of the design; which some referred to as a 7/8ths scale Daytona for the red Paris car.

9. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Are you sure? In the Italian period magazines the car represented (not at the show, but in the streets of Milan) is the 007S, which has the trafficator stick in front of the door. The 015S has the air vent in that position, moreover the 015S born in dark red and the 1949 Geneva car is in light color in the video. My opinion is: the car in the Ferrari stand is the 013S. What do you think?

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    One can barely see 007/S on that video, but it is there, behind 0004/M at 0:32 - a dark car with light colored interior. Cannot see the trafficator on the few photos I have from Geneva, but it must be there!

mcimino likes this.
  11. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    I know the trafficator or the air vent aren't visible in the video. But the color is and it' isn't a dark color but a light one. If the car in the stand was the 015S, it would be almost black and not grey as like as in the b/w film. That's the reason I'm asking for.
    I checked also the Suisse magazines of the period and there isn't a single picture of the stand. The Ferraris are represented through the factory photos only.
    A further investigation is necessary and maybe we can find something knowing the production or the delivery dates of the cars. The 015S, for example, was delivered in July 1949, so it couldn't be in Geneva on March.....

12. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
  13. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Take a look to the spider. Isn't white or ivory? So, why is grey in the video? Because the film is old and damaged and digitally reproduced. I restored the color palette of the film: the spider is white now (see also the shadows on it) and the coupè is medium grey. So it could not be dark, while the 007S was originally dark. I think the car in Geneva is another one. If you know the production date of the 007S we could exclude it from the list for sure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino likes this.
  14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    007 S:
    The XIX Geneva Motor Show was held 17-27 March 1949.
    The factory sold 007 S on the 28th June 1949 to first owner Cantiere di Portovenere S.p.A., a company domiciled at Piazza delle Oche 1 in Genova, Italy.
    The factory issued their Certificate of Origin for 007 S on the 2nd July 1949.
    The first registration was on Genova license plates "GE 45650" on the 7th July 1949.

Marcel Massini

15. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Thank you Marcel, so the 007S could not be at Geneva in March as I suspected before...
    My opinion is it was the 013S there, am I correct?

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    007 S could VERY WELL BE at the March 1949 Geneva Motor show!!
    And AFTER the show it went back to Italy where it remained for a few weeks and was then sold to the first owner.

Marcel Massini

17. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Sorry, but I don't understand. When the 007S had been produced?

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Prodotto PRIMA del mese di marzo 1949. Già nel mese di Dicembre 1948.

Marcel Massini

19. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Ok, this makes the difference. It's the kind of data I was looking for, because I was thinking the same about the 013S.
    Now we know that the dark car photographed in the streets of Milan isn't the 007S, unless it was repainted for the Geneva motor show. Thank you very much!

20. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Only 007/S had semaphores : then the 1949 Geneva Show car was necessarily 007/S...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino likes this.
  21. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    You cannot "restore" a color palette like that. To my eye your "restored" version is much worse than the original professional footage which is pretty damn good concidering the terrible lighting conditions.

Geneva car is 007/S, there is absolutely no question about that. Several excellent photos exist taken both in the show and then afterwards sitting in a factory corner waiting to be sold and delivered.

22. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    I didn't see them, where did you find them?

23. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Ok, but did the 013S have them too? I don't know....

24. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    In the Tipo 166's book on page 35. Also in the Mr Prunet's book about Ferrari Road cars...

25. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Ok thank you, but at page 35 the Touring body isn't recognizable: only the front is visible. I'll see on the Prunet's book I don't have here.