Philadelphia Advice ... | FerrariChat

Philadelphia Advice ...

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by mikesufka, Nov 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I'm flying into Philadelphia on Friday, January 11th, for my niece's birthday. I was going to fly home on Sunday, January 13th, but thought maybe I could stay another day and fly home Monday instead.

Tentative plan would be to stay downtown on Sunday, walk around, bar hop, and then have a nice dinner. Any must see bars or restaurants ? Recommendations of things to see ??

MDS

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    When I was last there, friends took me to this place near U of Pennsylvania. I don't go to Philly enough to know if that constitutes "downtown", but this place was really good.

https://podrestaurant.com/

T

3. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I heard about McGillin's ( started in 1860 ) which would be neat to see. Would like to hit a good and old steak house or Italian ... If they're within walking distance, even better.

MDS

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dinner: Devon Seafood or Parc, nightcap at Rouge all on Rittenhouse Square. Simeone Foundation Museum is 5 minutes from PHL; I highly recommend it.
    https://www.simeonemuseum.org/

dkyranakis and 375+ like this.
  5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

If you can do it, Simeone is a once in a lifetime kind of deal. Amazing stuff there, and it is literally 5-10 minutes from the airport as VJ noted.

Seeing the Liberty Bell may sound hokey, but it's there, you're not going back soon and Independence Hall is right across the plaza/mall.

There are a ton of good/great restaurants in Philly, it's kind of a secret how many good places are there for eats. But, if you want true Philly flavor, go to Pat's or Geno's on Passyunk Avenue and dine al fresco on a delicious cheese steak. Not an outdoor type? Tony Luc's has a pretty good version as well. If you make it to Pat's or Geno's, try not to do so before 1 or 2 AM, that's when it's most fun.

Fancy? Meh, I don't really do fancy.

Not as fancy? http://whitedog.com/location/?University-City-1 White Dog Cafe used to be one of my favorites.

Cuban? YES, Cuban... This place was great last time I went. http://www.cubalibrerestaurant.com/en/philadelphia

If you want to walk around, South Street has a ton of bars and restaurants. Including the one listed above. Take a cab, parking sucks.

D

6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Great recommendations for sure but for the best Philly steak sandwich, Jim’s on 4th and South is tops. “One wit fried onions, provolone cheese and gut the roll”. Pat’s and Jim’s mezzo mezzo. Tony Luc’s, yea quite good.

7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Simeone Museum if you can!

Sharknose likes this.
  8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Have not had a Jim's. Have to admit the ambiance at Pat's/Geno's is hard to beat. Nothing like drunks, cops, hookers and gunshots in the distance to make for a fun final stop on your Philly tour.

Viperjoe likes this.
  9. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Pep's bar and grille. Killer hot beef sandwiches. Let me know how it is. I haven't been there in 15 years

10. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    If you are into art, the Barnes Foundation in downtown Philly is a must see. It is one of the world's greatest collections of impressionist, post-impressionist, and early modernist art. It houses the world's largest collection of paintings by Renoir (181) and Cezanne (69) as well as works by Matisse, Picasso, Modigliani, Van Gogh, Monet, on and on. It is mind boggling.

https://www.barnesfoundation.org

Sonicsound, 375+ and dm_n_stuff like this.
  11. ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2007
    N.W. PA
    If you want to do something a little different, do an Eastern State Penitentiary tour. It’s not far from Barnes.

dm_n_stuff likes this.
  12. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Thanks guys ...

Any recommendations for a central hotel within walking distance of McGillin's Bar. Also, any recommendations for a steak house ( think Sparks ) or a good old school Italian place ? I have never been downtown, so I really don't even what street or area to stay in.

MDS

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ritz-Carlton is a couple blocks away.

Holiday Inn Express - Downtown a couple blocks the other way.

AND, Morton Steakhouse and Del Friscos a couple blocks away as well, if you're still looking for a steak joint.

WAWA for coffee and a breakfast sandwich or hoagie right there too.

All within a couple blocks of Broad Street.

D

mikesufka likes this.
  14. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Perfect !! Thanks.

dm_n_stuff likes this.
  15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#15 dm_n_stuff, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Last thing.

Italian Restaurant - Dante and Luigi's in South Philly.

http://www.danteandluigis.com/

Has LOTS of local history. Google it. And the food's good, too.

When I went last, the guy I was with ( a local South Philly guy with some interesting jobs in his past) asked me if I wanted to sit in the, "shooting or non-shooting" section. I kid you not. I suspect now they have something less of a sense of humor about it.

Found his picture, thought I'd add it for color. He was a well known South Philly guy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

D

16. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    That sounds perfect - I'll check it out.

MDS

17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This place looks fantastic! I'm going next time I'm in Philly. Thank you!

18. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

It kind of fell on hard times maybe 20 years ago and got new ownership, but it has a lot of history and a five star ZAGAT rating, if that's worth noting.

D

19. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Steak house - Butcher and Singer on Walnut street.
    Seafood- Estia on Locust Street. Right across from The Academy of Music.
    Fine Italian - Dalio’s.
    There was a major water main break near McGillin’s so you may want to check it has reopened. Alternative - Pastrami and Things on 18th between Market and Chestnut or 4th Street Deli (bring a huge appetite).
    South Philly - Dante and Luigi, The Saloon, Ralphs.
    The Barnes, Academy of Natural Science, Ben Franklin, Philadelphia Museum of Art (my grandfather was one of the architects), and the Rodin are all clustered within walking distance.
    The Westin Hotel - valentine and Winthorpe (Trading Places).

mikesufka likes this.
  20. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Viperjoe and mikesufka like this.
  21. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

22. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
  23. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Wow -

I might need more than a Sunday to play ... Think Algar Ferrari has a F50 to drool over ( never seen one ) .... ???

Thanks guys ...

MDS

darth550 likes this.
  24. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert