Ferrari 430 or 430 Challenge ccm calipers/rotors | FerrariChat

Ferrari 430 or 430 Challenge ccm calipers/rotors

Discussion in '360/430' started by zipperkarting, Nov 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zipperkarting

zipperkarting Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Hi everyone
    I need some advice on the subject of CCM calipers/rotors.
    Over the last few months I have been accumulating parts to make up a CCM kit for my 360 Modena as I want to convert the braking to carbon ceramic.
    I finally got all the parts together and chose to go for a 430 Challenge setup. I stupidly forget to check that the calipers/rotors would fit my 18" Challenge rims and had to fork out for a set of 19" Challenge rims. (Got a lovely set of 18" Challenge rims with Mich's if anyone wants to buy them!)
    OK so got all that sorted and set about disassembling them and repainting the calipers/rotors and re-decalling them. They look very nice now.
    Then along comes a guy with a brand new set of 430 CCM calipers/rotors at an unresistable price.
    So you see my dilemma?
    Do I continue with the (older) rebuilt 430 Challenge calipers/rotors or just install the new 430 ones?
    What do you guys think I should do? Clearly I want the best braking.
    Thanks.
    Paul Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login l Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    When you say you "clearly want the best braking", what exactly do you mean? Are you planning to track your car regularly? If not, then Carbon Ceramic brakes are more of an aesthetic and/or show-off thing than anything else. For daily street driving, it's hard to go wrong with the steel step because they'll never fade, even during spirite driving, and replacement rotors and pads are reasonably priced. Carbon Ceramic setups are overkill for the street. But if you are aiming at track use, they're hard to beat, and in your situation, both options seem good, so go with the less expensive one.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    You forgot to mention that steel stops better when cold on the street.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  4. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Thank you. But I want to install carbon brakes so that’s not up for discussion. I’m not trying to be flash, I’m 70 years of age for goodness sakes, I'm just wanting a special car.
    I’m going to change the complete exhaust too so is that overkill? I already changed the suspension.
    Please check out 360Trev and see what he did to his car. No one criticised him.
    What is your problem?
    What I’m asking for is a professional recommendation on setup not your biased opinion!

RANDY6005 likes this.
  5. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    I would go for the Challenge setup, if the rotors are in good shape.

(CCM's are great for street use, rotors will last "forever" and keep your wheels free from the annoying steelbrake dust).

zipperkarting likes this.
  6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The silver calipers are from a later V12 - same caliper as the 458 but with different pistons. This family of caliper has completely different mounting spacing to the 360/430 and will not fit without an adapter bracket.

The yellow calipers are F430 398mm Scuderia/Challenge calipers and will bolt straight on to a Scuderia hub to suit 398mm discs, or a standard 360/430 hub together with the F430 Challenge spacer studs to suit a 398mm discs.

7. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Wend installed my 430 CCM brake kit there is more than just calipers and rotors. I know the brake booster are not the same . I can tell you if the CCM brakes where the same price as steel EVERY one would go with CCM brakes . I think that was my best upgrade I ever did ! No brake dust 38 pounds less rotating mass and unsprung weight car turns in better and they warm up quick . Worth the money and not to mention they look Fantastic and there is no empty space. ZipperKarting good job !! I would go with the new stuff but that is just me
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

clean512 and zipperkarting like this.
  8. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Thank you for your comments, made me feel a whole lot better.
    I was beginning to think that I was the only one doing mods and that the rest of the FERRARI owners frowned upon any such modifications.
    Yes I know there are more than just calipers and rotors. I bought a new brake booster and rear hsndbrske calipers and also invested in some braided hoses.
    Thanks again.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  9. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    You welcome ZipperKarting Ferrari owners I think are 50 50 approve and disprove that is why there is Democrats and Republicans. If I had a Enzo or F40 or a CS the super rare Fcar I would agree with no mods, the 360 where massed produced. I do not consider using factory parts as modifying your Fcar you are up grading .. Just my humble opinion modifying to me is like installing air ride shocks turbo aftermarket spoilers aftermarket wheels and so on

10. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Woah, easy there trigger... you asked for opinions and then you strike back with that BS? You claim to have been criticized, but I don't see that anywhere. And, my personal response ended with an answer to your question. Nobody is trying to talk you out of anything, just offering up some food for thought. Sounds like you're the one with the "problem". Relax.

whatheheck likes this.
  11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Mark gave you some very good advice here...

Messing around with having to have special brackets machined will be a royal hassle and simply isn't worth it especially when you already have F430 Challenge / 430 Scuderia calipers. The refurbished calipers will be no different to the ' new ' ones from a performance perspective if you fit brand new hills engineering pistons. Essentially a caliper is a big lump of cast or cnc machined alumnium alloy (i.e. a big lump of metal). If the original caliper wasn't damaged or corroded its function will be 100% assuming they are fitted correctly. When fitting bigger calipers don't forget to also buy the upgraded steel braided brake lines too, they make a big difference to pedal feel. You don't technically need the CCM brake servo, its just providing a bit more assistance (in my opinion a bit overly servo'd vs the Modena one). I quite like the feel of the Modena servo with the CCM's as there is more brake feel but it does mean you loose out on the weight saving from the newer Bosch CCM servo.

The F430 Calipers really do *just* fit with a cigarette paper spacing between the rim and the caliper, I don't know how this would work with a different shaped caliper from another model when the tolerances are this close. Messing around with having to have special brackets machined will be a royal hassle and simply isn't worth it.

On stopping performance it brings the car up to a level where its as good as it gets and if your car is lower weight too then you'll actually be able to out brake even the latest crop of 250k+ cars, ask me how I know. They are all saddled with 150kg+ of extra weight ;)

If you fit RS29's or RS19 Pagid pads and have good tires like Michelin Sport 4S or Cup 2's you simply will get other worldly braking performance. Don't forget to adjust the -ve camber higher on both front and rear to take advantage of the improved mechanical grip you get and allow these modern grippy compound tires to really dig in to the tarmac.

Good luck!

12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Ferrari made a judgement call on this and decided CCM's where the way to go for all their customers which I am sure most people know that CCM's have been fitted as standard now for years. Since then every single performance car brand from Porsche, to Bentley to Aston now fit them on road cars.

There are many benefits to drivers even if they don't race their cars such as lower maintenance, less brake dust, improved asthetics and now Brembo have come out with the latest CCM2 discs and Bosch have revised their software specially for CCM's and Pagid tweaked the pad compounds, the brake feel is excellent too even from cold. Ofcourse even the Challenge Gentlemen circuit racers are on a budget and getting through CCM's regularly even now the costs have dramatically reduced has forced them to look for better cost alternatives. This can be done but there usually is a bit of a weight penalty vs CCM's.

Steel brakes are a bit like the combustion engine vs electric drivetrain, they've had decades of refinement so yes they are really good at this point. The CCM's are relatively new but are getting better every single generation. Just like the electric car the technology will get to the point where steels won't ever be considered again, and the price will flip once they truely become mass manufactured. Just wait a while if you cannot stomach the costs. They are already less than 50% what they where when they first where introduced.

13. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Yep, I get it, and I would have them too if I had the option. I just felt compelled to start the thread off with the usual disclaimer all these related threads seem to begin with. The OP has a choice between two excellent options, and the F430 one seems to be the more popular one thus far due to it being more plug and play.

14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes I also imagine availability comes into it too. However once you compare the swept pad surface area of the 398mm disc with that of the 380mm disc of the common CS/F430 discs you'll see that the difference is huge! Significantly bigger than less than 2cm larger disc would have you imagine. As such the braking performance is also uplifted by a significant margin to point where you can really feel the difference on the road with better stopping distances (assumes you have enough mechanical grip to to use it!)

15. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    I also was contemplating CCM for my 360. Trying to track down a complete setup including B booster was hard even when they came up FS on F chat as Soon as there posted FS there gone.
    I set about building a custom brake setup
    using steel rotors as i don’t track my car
    Figured it was a good cost effective route to take. Rotors are 380x32 mm
    All four corners brembo callipers are all 6 pot.
    They fill out the 19 inch wheels nicely
    And bit of extra braking power comes in handy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

360trev likes this.
  16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    They look great and I bet they are a huge improvement over stock stoppers

17. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Thanks but your exact words were 'Carbon Ceramic brakes are more of an aesthetic and/or show-off thing than anything else'.
    So this isn't criticism is it?
    I appreciate where you are coming from but you aimed at the wrong guy.

18. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Thank you all for your very constructive advice and comments.
    Next stop to install the 430 Challenge set up with brake booster and braided hoses.
    And for fluid?
    Let's have your suggestions please. Fast road use mainly.

19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Without doubt Castrol SRF is one of the best and has been for several years now!

20. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    OK. I thought someone mentioned Endless RF-650 somewhere?
    I nearly bought that and still have it in my watch list.

21. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I'm have endless ...but w008 on my F430

f355spider and zipperkarting like this.
  22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Fast road use? Motul 660. SRF is marginally better, but way more expensive. But if money is no object, SRF.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. rob73

rob73 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I also stick with Motul RBF 660. Best value for money fluid available. No brake fade what so ever. Here in Europe we buy this at EUR30 a litre.