Maserati Khamsin | Page 297 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Interesting story!
    Not exactly what you would expect when you read "...under the same ownership for the last 40 years.....".
    But apparently all the numbers are still on the car (not like the car at the Bevely Hills Car Club)?

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  3. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    So Marc, you say for certain that the Gullwing car is the Skolnik car?
    Yes it will be interesting to know its future.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Carmine,

It was great to meet you and that visit to Gullwing was epic. Yes it was Al Skolnick's car and we shall see what happens to it! It was first offered to clients of mine, who have bought many cars from Gullwing, in July, but it was only actually advertised by Gullwing September 27 two days after we visited and Anthony Stella showed us the car. I am almost certain Gullwing don't know about its theft decades ago.

5. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Hello, Marc! Yes it was great to finally meet in person after so many years of internet friendship!

Yes, a Gullwing visit is an experience like no other.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    :)

In other news a very tired rusty Khamsin which was more or less beyond saving at a reasonable cost has been sold this week in Europe to aid the restoration of another and I was very glad to put both Maseratisti in touch and aid in the resurrection of a K. I am leaving names and chassi numbers out for privacy reasons.

Best regards,

Marc

MK1044 likes this.
  7. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Marc,
    Any chance of asking the new owner if he needs the rear side window trims ?
    I am still looking for some for #393.
    Thanks,
    Neil.

8. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Hello everyone. I have just found this rather sad auction of the Bertone family silver.

https://www.astebolaffi.it/pdf/auctions/102.pdf

Marc, I seem to recall from a good while ago that you came across the wooden box of Khamsin finishing samples at Bertone.
    Well, it is in the sale at lot 76. Just thought the Khamsinisti would be interested. Sadly no Khamsin design model, Miura and Countach though! And lots of Stratos bits.

Best regards.

Mark.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Neil, Mark,

Neil He is keeping them as he needs them sorry, did you try all the usual sources in the UK, Europe, the US?

Mark no you must be confusing me with someone else, I have been to Marcello Gandini's home to interview him and back again to give him his copy of my book but I have never been to Bertone's former premises. I saw what Maserati has, they even brought the huge plaster model to KHAMSIN QUARANTA in 2012 but finishing samples I have not seen.
    There was another such model at Citroen but that vanished.

Best regards,

Marc

10. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Ah. Maybe it was the things at Maserati I was thinking of Marc.
    Best regards to all

M

11. flo

flo Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Flo,

It is 040 which has been advertised by various German dealers through the years, it looks like a good car from what photos tell but red really does not suit K's and I guess that is why it has not found its custodian yet. Note the matching plug wires;-)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. flo

flo Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    hello marc
    thanx for the info,
    was it delivered like this
    colour wise?
    and
    early car vented nose .... could be one of the first
    should be 1974 not 1975 if production was in line
    red is not one of my favourite colours on any car..exept..

14. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  15. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014
    Hello Roger,

i think the green Khamsin on the Lift, could be maybe AM120-116

"Maybe" :)

Best regards

Zdenek

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Traveling today Flo, Roger, hope to have answers tomorrow.

17. Dr. K.

Dr. K. Karting

Mar 23, 2011
    Hi all,

another Maserati Khamsin came out of the hiding after years of storage.

A very early japanese car (AM120 070), which we found in Auckland NZ.

It´s now in Germany and will be restored to former glory.

18. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Zdenek

you could be right, 116 was a demonstrator for Thepenier so not unusual if it has similar original French plates as 016 (7001 YD 44) also from Thepenier,
    and the first picture (apparently historical) shows 7001 OV 30; Rastatt is not far from the French border...

Best regards
    Roger

19. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014
    Hello Dr. K

if I'm not mistaken, then it would have to be following Khamsin.
    If my information is correct, then this car was exported approximately about 2 years ago from Japan to New Zealand.
    It would be nice if you could show us current pictures. It would be interesting if the owner in New Zealand has changed something on the vehicle already. Furthermore, it would be interesting to know which original color the car had.
    I am glad that another Khamsin will be rescued and I wish you much success with the restoration.

Best regards

Zdenek :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Hans salm

Hans salm Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Hans salm
    Hello Zdenek,

correct, this is the car, the 31. made.
    Still with these monsterwheels, but now in silver and partly dismantled.

I have to ask my friend, if I could post any fotos.

21. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014
    Good morning Roger,

i personally think, that the first picture on the lift is not historical.
    I think the photo pretends that it is a historical photo because the photo shows two old cars.
    But under the beautiful Fiat 500 is an aluminum rim of a current car.

AM120-116 was sold in 2015 at Artcurial

https://www.artcurial.com/en/lot-1976-maserati-khamsin-2769-30#popin-active

I can not confirm that the car in the first and second picture is really AM120-116.
    It's just a guess of mine.
    I do not want to spread rumors.

Best regards

Zdenek ;)

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Flo,

I have heard back from Fabio Collina of Maserati Classiche and 040's original paint was grey code Italver 2252 with senape (mustard) interior. I don't have my paint booket in front of me but whichever grey that is it would suit the car much better than resale red.
    Yes it is one of the first vented nose cars and as confirmed by Mr Cozza there is is not logi to seek in why for example 180 has a smooth nose and not 040, it was just a question of what nose type the Bertone sub contractors (who assembled the cars before they went to Bertone for further assembly and Maserati for final fittings) had on the shelf.

Best regards,

Marc

23. flo

flo Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    Hello Marc,
    thank you for the info. the colour i cant track down in those list ( www search and thanks ivan the carnut)
    would be intresting which colur italver 2252 was?

kind regards
    flo

24. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Good evening. Does anyone know where the wiring connector block is between the fuse panel and the engine bay electrical and dash area. I found the rear (white) one tucked in between body panels on the passenger side just ahead of the upper fuel tank, with more than enough slack to easily access all connections. I cannot however find the one referenced on the left side of the wiring diagram with about 20 connections.

For the highbeams and head lights... do they only light up when the units are raised? Just want to confirm correct behaviour as I am currently wrestling with no high beams, also referred to I believe, as country beams.

Last lighting question. My reverse lights only go off when the gear stick is in reverse. I just found this...so have not yet investigated. Simply a reversed connector perhaps... any thoughts?
    Thank you
    Richard

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

25. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The headlights lights get power only when the buckets are raised. There is a pressure switch in the system that is normally open and closes when it senses hydraulic pressure, thus permitting power to flow to the headlights. It is T24 #34. Most likely your switch has gone bad. Easy way to test is to short the two terminals on the switch, headlights lights should come on. There should also be a manual override toggle for the lights, but I do not recall where it is located.

The reverse lights problem is more of a mystery. There is a switch on the gearbox, Table 12 #815, that closes when the gearbox is in reverse. Reversing the wires should not make any difference as the switch is either open or closed and does not care about polarity. I would start by located the switch on the gearbox, disconnecting the wire and jumping them. The reserve lights should turn on when the ignition is on.

Ivan

010 likes this.