Ferrari 250 Gte Front Suspension King Pin | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 Gte Front Suspension King Pin

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by christc, Dec 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear all,

I would like to ask you for a favour.

I would like to hard chrome and grind my old kingpins. Could you give me the measurements/ exact diameter of the king pin shaft at the location where the needle rollers run?

That would be very nice of you.

Thanks
    Chris

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    exact diameter? so to 1/100 of a mm? or only to 1/10 of a mm? on only to 0,5 mm?
    you mean the kingpin ( achsschenkelbolzen ) - outside diameter - or the inside diameter of the steering nuckle ( achsschenkelbolzen )
    what part of germany you are located?

3. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I hope you find this info, but wouldn't the old item itself suggest the original dimensions? The whole thing could not have worn away so uniformly that you would need to start from that point. Such things are typically scored at bearing surfaces only. I have had shafts and gears clusters chromed and machined without the specs, the items themselves were the reference. The key is an industrial plating shop and not one that does cosmetic plating. They should be able to make your pieces right. Anyway, just wondering if you need to make it that difficult for yourself. All the best.

john

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hello John,

I measured it as best as I could with vernier calipers, but my bearing faces are quiet worn so I would like to have a cross reference if possible. At the moment I am in the finishing phase of my car (see some photos enclosed) and the front axle is the last part I have to overhaul. I need to have the axle pins spray sputtered and grinded and will use hard chrome for the king pin. I know that others have been through this and therefor thought I might ask for accurate dimensions others used in connection with the king pin needle bearing.

Dear Mr. Schwabel,

we already had contact. I am in Wiesbaden.
    I will give you a call the next days.

Cheers and thanks
    Chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    For All who one day might need it:
    Diameter 21.91
    Parallelity of both bearing faces (upper and lower) 0.03
    Surface roughness 0.4

Cheers
    Chris