Hamilton crashes super bike | FerrariChat

Hamilton crashes super bike

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Dec 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  3. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Perhaps the TT beckons for Hamilton

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I applaud him for this. Most pilots who are successful in either 4 or 2 wheels wouldn’t even have a desire to try the other. If one can master both 4 and 2 wheels it’s a rare ability that most don’t possess.

5. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I thought the other way round... I always thought 2 and 4 wheels are too different but since Schumacher tried 2 wheels and Rossi a Ferrari I get the impression that those guys simply have a sense for speed and body control... not that they reach the same level at the other sport but still they show some sort of competitiveness.... the days of Surtees winning both titles at the highest level or gone nevertheless, too specific are the requirements and commitment on both 2 and 4 wheels to simply switch.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Motorcycles anable the rider to feel things one cannot feel in an automobile--even an F1 automobile.
    That feeling is the intimate connection to the tarmac right in front of the front tire.

IT's fun.
    I'm pretty sure LH's contract does not stipulate he is not allowed to have fun.

neil e dale and Makuono like this.
  7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I can’t comment, I’ll just get banned, but I fell off the chair laughing!

nsxrebel, Lotaz, kes7u and 5 others like this.
  8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    It sounds like this event was organized by Monster, who sponsors both Mercedes F1 and the Yamaha team.

At any rate, I’d rather have him riding in full leathers on a track than in jeans and a t shirt on the street.

9. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    completely agree.

Off to MotoGP with him.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  10. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Yeah, but that doesn’t mean you should send him a set of skis.... ;)

Seriously, I think it is great to see him challenging himself, taking risks and generally having an exciting time in Motorsports. It harkens back to the days when F1 drivers excelled in other forms of sport, be it bikes, bobsleds or other forms of racing. F1 cars and tracks have become much safer even as the speeds have come up and lap times down, as has motorcycle racing apparel. Better than seeing him at the club, acting the fool or going off to “get serious” about an awful music “career” (anyone have the whole Jacques Villeneuve cd collection.....?).

daytona355 likes this.
  11. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    "His day was hampered by a small crash, and was able to continue riding afterwards."

Yea, not sure what funny about it...sounds like he a small scrape and a great time.
    Alonso has ridden a MotoGP bike on a couple of occasions - what bike fan wouldn't want to try out a MotoGP/WSBK bike if given the opportunity?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ATBNM3 and neil e dale like this.
  12. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I didn’t read the story, I only read the headline posted by the OP, I don’t care enough about Elton to read anything about him, I just had an image of my head of him upside down under a super bike hehehehehe

nsxrebel likes this.
  13. Timstudio

Timstudio Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    NL
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Did he try to pass Max?

daytona355 and Nortonious like this.
  14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Bet the stewards helped him up, while holding the other riders back and cancelling their times so as to reinstate Elton to the front of the pack, then let him get a half circuit down the road before they could go again Hehehehe. Normal service resumed!!!

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

nsxrebel likes this.
  15. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    It is much more difficult to ride a bike quickly than it is to drive a car quickly, as I am sure Lewis knows full well, or at least he does now! Regardless, with the level of protective gear that exists today, it is very rare there is ever a serious crash where someone gets hurt in MotoGP. As mentioned in a previous post, much better it happened on a track versus on the street. I'm glad he's okay.

16. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

Ok, before I reply, all of you Elton fan bois get a grip. I swear I say nothing bad about the guy and you all jump all over me

I would think it would. Most sports teams don't want their players/drivers etc. jumping on bikes (especially super bikes?) during the contract period. Last thing they want is to loose their star driver but maybe he has stuff like this written into his contract.

daytona355 likes this.
  17. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    This has far less to do with the protective gear but the trained pro-bikers who exactly know how to fall and who are mentally trained to get off a bike in the best possible way following mechanism...I doubt that any F1 (or other car driver) knows that the same way be it Lewis or anybody else!

neil e dale and daytona355 like this.
  18. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Good on him. I don't think (more) experienced riders would be tailing him like this if they were not confident in his abilities.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ATBNM3 and neil e dale like this.
  19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Why should they care? Anyone could win in their car with Bottas as butler.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Thats exactly right ! former M/C racer here ! we used to go spectate at the races in Laguna Seca CA every July ? we would hang out the whole weekend and then attend the Keith code Superbike school on Monday after the race at the track ! i got to sit on world GP champ Kenny Roberts bike there! Here I am on the track ! 1985 ? regards, Neil PS all us guys from Arizona smoked the Ca men w/ faster lap times ! Image Unavailable, Please Login

daytona355 likes this.
  21. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Reigning F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton has headed straight from the final round of the 2018 season in Abu Dhabi to Jerez in Spain, to spin some laps with his latest toys, a pair of Yamaha R1 superbikes prepared by World Superbike team Pata Yamaha.

Lapping with the team’s WSB riders Alex Lowes and Michael van der Mark over two days at the circuit used earlier this week for MotoGP and WSB testing, with MCN’s sources reporting that the five-time world champion was lucky to get away with a crash at the track’s fast turn seven.
    It isn’t the first time that Hamilton has taken to track, with the F1 driver a keen bike fan and reportedly fast to boot. An MV Agusta ambassador who has produced a number of limited-edition machines in cooperation with the Italian manufacturer, he also spent two days last year lapping with Cal Crutchlow in California. Image Unavailable, Please Login

ATBNM3, ktu and maulaf like this.
  22. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Speaking as a ex M/c racer .... the protective gear is extensive now even including a Michelin designed/made air bag that deploys if you go off the bike ! ( it's part of the leather suit ! ) there is lots of run off room , gravel traps to slow you down and usually nothing hard to hit ! it is really not that dangerous compared to riding on the street ! He was apparently riding two personal street bikes set up for him by a race team and has years of experience in M/C road race style riding! I doubt if he was running anywhere near competitive Superbike lap times ! he was having a holiday riding in a very safe place ...A track !

ATBNM3 likes this.
  23. Timstudio

Timstudio Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    NL
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Great hat Elton!

Nortonious, stavura and daytona355 like this.
  24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So, is this supposed to be some sort of proof that Hamilton is an inferior driver in some subtle
    way now?

Guaranteed, every one of the riders in MotoGP, Superbikes, etc. have dumped their rides one
    time or another multiple, multiple times.

Be thankful it didn't end up the way it did for poor Jason Watt.

Cool it already.

BHW

ATBNM3, william and neil e dale like this.