2010-13 California vs new Porsche 911 thoughts? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2010-13 California vs new Porsche 911 thoughts?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Cazten, Sep 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Where did you find a 2013 Cali30 HS for 100K! Deal!

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Do yourself a favor test drive a AMG GTS. All my summer cars went into storage so I just bought Porsche #42 a 991 C4S, never thought I'd buy an AWD car that I did not intend to convert to RWD. I guess I'm getting old. If you test drive a 360/430 find a gearshift, the F1 will seem like it takes for ever to change gears after being in a DCT.

3. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I second a 360 manual. I just test drove this one twice this week (https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d437&zip=34638#listing=209384629)

I know for a fact they will at least go to 110K on it. I almost bought it yesterday but the wife just wasn't feeling it and even though it's for me, I want her F car experience to be a good one because I plan to buy a 458 Italia after I'm done with the 13 Cali30 I'm about buy. If you're interested in that black gated 360 I can give you more info about what I saw, heard and felt during my time with it. -Adam

4. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I had GT3s, GT4. Lotus Evora 400 handles better than my current F cars, 458 and FF, as well as those old porsches. That's why I have hard time to trade it in for something else and it's still in my garage. Try it!

Carnut likes this.
  5. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It actually depends on how and where you will drive. I drove a 360 Spider for many years, both on an infrequent daily basis and also tracked the car, regularly. So, the car was set up mostly for the track, at least brakes and suspension. Of the cars you list, the 360 will provide the most value, but the technology is old by today's standards; the 430 is somewhat newer, but still not nearly state of the art, especially the transmission. I had the first Boxster and Boxster S and found them to be excellent value - my first mid engine car, but not in the same category as any Ferrari. I have driven a ZO6 Vette at the track, but not much on the street - it is extremely fast, but not much else. Don't know the Evora, but loved the Elan and am sorry that I never actually owned one. I currently track a Porsche GT3, if you want to track your car and also have an every day car, the 991 GT3 is the perfect car and basically only requires an upgrade to the brakes to drive at decent track speeds.

I was not impressed by any of the California's, but really like the Portofino and expect mine to arrive in January; I will not be tracking it.

Good luck.

Rob in Potomac

6. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    I've had a couple of sports cars since selling my Cali 30 HS including a 991.2 Carrera S. Compared to say a 991.2 Carrera S, the Ferrari wins in terms of sound and shift feel. But everything else like handling, tech, and especially build quality, the Cali doesn't compare with the Porsche at all.

Caymans, while somewhat lacking in power, are very nice handling cars (had a 981 GTS at one point). But I find it too planted to the ground and too serious so it was somewhat boring to me. Plus whether you like it or not, if you own a Cayman without owning say a 911 yet, you will always think of the 911 at the back of your mind.

I'd say the Carrera S is a nice upgrade over the Cayman S and since the C2S is one of the more common 911's out there, you will probably find a used car at a good deal easily especially with the 992's just around the corner.

tomc likes this.
  7. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    The amg gt , might be the car you need. Drove one on a track, it is silly fast and grips like sandpaper. If you have not driven one please do. And they can be had for under 100 k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carnut likes this.
  8. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I've had both a 911 Turbo Cabriolet and an AMG GTS.

I play golf and transporting a set of gold clubs is important to me. With the 911 I could get 2 sets of clubs behind the drivers seat, if I took the longest clubs out of the bag (the long club lay in the rear footwells). Luggage then went in front in a custom case I purchased from Porsche. It was very time consuming getting the clubs in and out of the car and if the bags were dirty they would mark the interior.

I didn't like the fabric roof as it got marked.

However, the 911 was very quick and an amazing drive as it was 4-wheel drive. The PDK gearbox was second to none. However, I felt that the driving experience was very clinical and with no drama.

It only lasted 6 months before I changed.

AMG GTS

I had an Edition 1 that came with the fixed aero and racing seats amongst other additional options as standard.

I could get 2 sets of golf clubs in the car easily. On one trip I had two sets of clubs and enough luggage for a 10 day holiday, with my wife. So the car is practical.

The engine was amazing and the sound from the exhaust put a smile on my face. The car handled well, but not as good as the 911 IMHO. The gearbox was not brilliant, with upshifts ok, but downshifts had a definite delay. The driving experience was absorbing particularly on twisty roads when the gearbox is being used resulting in amazing cracks and pops from the exhaust.

I sold the AMG GTS to get a Portofino after 18 months of ownership.

California

My California was one of the last produced before the Cali 30 came out. It was fully loaded with pretty much every option.

I was able to get two set of clubs in the boot and also enough luggage for a week long trip but utilising the drop-down rear seats.

I loved the fact it had a hard-top convertible.

The quality of ride was good until you really pushed the car. This is when it would roll so it was not as good as either the 911 or AMG GTS IMHO. The gearbox and engine were great and there was a shotgun blast from the exhaust when changing up the gears.

I loved my California, but sold it when the Cali T was announced because I though its residual value would drop. I made a mistake, as prices stayed pretty firm.

Summary

I went from California to 911 to AMG GTS.

Making a choice between the three is very difficult, it comes down to personal preference.

Although the 911 and AMG GTS are great cars, I loved the Cali's hard-top, the beautiful interior, the great engine and gearbox and the fact it is a FERRARI.

Makuono likes this.
  9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I guess I am in the unique position to go from Calf T, to AMG GTS, to 991C4S. or at least I will be when spring comes. Right now the other 911 as well as my other summer cars are in storage. I have to say though with Michelin winter tires I was amazed what the 991 can do it 20 degree temps. I probably should not say this but it happens on Porsche forums when a Corvette has better numbers (they say so what it is a corvette), I have found that when people say it is a Ferrari that is supposed to mean something, to someone like me without any emotional attachment to cars who merely sees them as machines it sound like they are trying to convince themselves they own the right car. I still say the AMG is the best drivers car, then the 991, then the Calf T, and that is just looking at them as what they are machines.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    Thought I would throw my opinion in here as I have owned Porsche 911's and Ferraris (mid engine until I bought the cali) for the last 22 years.
    The 911's have been a regular daily drivers and great cars but each one has got better and strangely more boring to drive. The Ferraris I have had have been mid engine screamers you can only really drive on weekends without bad backs and bleeding ears.
    But that changed as I bought a McLaren which in my opinion was so much better than the Ferrari equivalents, but I still wanted a Ferrari so tried the California and was surprised how good a GT it really was.
    I think the problem comes where people try and place the California. Its not a 458 or 488 screamer and its not a V12 front engine cruiser.
    I don't think I would ever think 911 or Cali. I drive my 911 and put lots of miles on it, its a great car, the McLaren is an awesome screamer and the Cali fits a really nice spot in between, where I can use it in a practical and frequent way which still makes it always seem special.

4th_gear and tomc like this.
  11. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    Have you looked at 991.1 gt3? Great value. Cali is a grand tourer. Feels much bigger. Coming from turbo Porsches feels a bit slower but that exhaust and downshift s are sublime.