S-Line exhaust review | FerrariChat

S-Line exhaust review

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kn1ghtley, Dec 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kn1ghtley

kn1ghtley Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Hi everyone. I recently purchased the new S-Line exhaust for 458 and wanted to give an honest review. Although S-Line has made many exhausts for 430s and 360s, there have only been a handful of these exhausts made so far for the 458.

Long story short, this is arguably the best F1 / high pitched sound you can get on a 458. Some may know I had a F430 with S-line exhaust. Ever since selling that car, I missed that sound so much, and all I've been trying to do for the past year of 458 ownership is to bring that sound back. With the new S-Line exhaust, I think I have accomplished that (or come pretty close).

My setup:

S-line exhaust
    Fabspeed headers
    Fabspeed test pipes
    Evoms tune

Stock 458 exhaust: my thoughts

I purchased my 458 with the stock exhaust installed, but with high flow cats and sport headers. However, I have driven several other 458s with stock exhaust, stock headers and stock cats. I think we can all agree that that the stock sound of a 458 exhaust is heavenly. However, I am a fan of higher pitched exhaust notes (F1 sound), and I think all Ferraris should sound that way. The sound of my car prior to S-Line was definitely louder than normal with the headers and cats setup, and it sounded great. But my main gripe was that it sounded like too much of a challenge/GT car (similar to my F430 before I installed S-Line), and while it sounded awesome, I really wanted that F1 sound. I was looking for a more exotic sound, more than just a sporty one.

S-Line exhaust impressions

Once again, I have to give major props to the guys at S-Line. I don't know how they did it, but the way the exhaust sounds in comparison to the F430 exhaust is scarily similar. The way the tones change as you go through the rev range is so similar to what I experienced with my F430. Needless to say, going up the rev range with this exhaust installed is an experience in itself. Knowing that you can do that at any time you please is so nice. Hearing the sounds ricochet across the nearest buildings is so pleasing. You can imagine what taking this car through a tunnel would sound like. A couple 458 owners who own Novitec exhaust (probably the closest exhaust to S-Line in terms of high pitch F1 sound) have said they want to switch.

Install: RMT Motorsports in Yorba Linda, CA installed this exhaust for me. It was the first 458 S-Line exhaust they installed, and had no issues.

Loudness: I've experienced my car with the S-Line exhaust installed in two setups so far:
    1. Race headers + test pipes + S-Line (current...and the most awesome)
    2. Race headers + high flow cats + S-Line

There is no change in exhaust tone/pitch when you change from setup to setup - the only thing that really changes is the raspiness and the loudness. You'll only really get more rasp if you straight pipe the car. I think a civilized setup for people that like their car loud but manageable is setup #2 above. Race headers with stock cats would be the level under that. I do recommend having at least headers to bring the sound out more - they complement the S-Line very well.

Startup: Cold starts are not louder than with any other exhaust. That will mostly be affected by your headers and cats setup.

Shifting: The sharpness of the downshifts are emphasized just that much more with the high pitch tone. It's an intense sound, and you'll probably find yourself needlessly downshifting just to hear it more and more. After I tuned by car, I noticed faster/crisper upshifts when hearing it from the outside.

Crackles and pops: I did not notice a noticeable change in the amount of crackles or burbles from just the exhaust. On 458s, in my experience at least, most of this will be controlled by your ECU. In the videos below with the test pipe setup, I have a Fabspeed/EVOMS tune with basically the highest level of crackles/burbles and pops you can get on a 458.

Pros:
    - best F1 sound option for a 458 IMO
    - there is virtually no drone (at a couple very specific RPMs you can get a hint of it, but it's negligible)
    - loud only when you want it to be (drive normal, windows up, music on...it's totally normal)
    - the high pitched wail from each downshift is so pleasing
    - decent amount of weight savings coming from the stock exhaust

Cons:
    - no valves

Videos (all instagram videos below)

Race headers + high flow cats

Cruising 1 - inside the car
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BnVEdNZnSbj/

Cruising 2 - inside the car
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm98EYoHVUC/

Tunnel inside the car
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BnAJ9s9FyNo/

Race headers + test pipes (most extreme setup)

Normal driving
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqocg23lhZ4/

WOT pull
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BplHDGDlHjw/

Interior sound, with pull and downshifts
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BoYEnPBFhSz/

Flyby 1
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo7zkrTFV9y/

Flyby 2
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BoDfTDeFUvl/

You can see many more videos on my Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/brentruiz_/

S-Line's website is https://www.s-linesound.com/ or you can send me a message and I'll put you in touch with them directly.

Thanks for reading!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

FourFiveGreat, F485, ShineKen and 5 others like this.
  2. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    Thanks for the great write-up and vids ! A buddy of mine has an S-Line exhaust and aftermarket headers on his 430 and it sounds amazing. I just bought Fabspeed headers for my 360 and am going to get an S-line exhaust in a month or so. When we get our 458 in a year or so we will definitely try your set-up.

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Love the car color. The best.
    Nice sound. Surprised at the lack of pops though.
    My last 458 was a ‘15 spider and it pooped like it was a ‘10 with original SW.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Love the S line on my 16M....wish they would make it for my Speciale. I’d get it in a heartbeat.

Sent from my 16M

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    S-Line does a great job.

6. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    This system is awesome! Had it on my 430... Great write up Brent, I think with this, people will have an idea on what to change out and what not too.....like changing out just the exhaust and not the cats or headers will only change the tone and won't get louder. Like if you want to go slightly louder than stock then you add highflow cats,louder than that? ..... go straight pipe, louder? ......change the headers too.
    I still need to hear you car! Brent I think 1 step louder for you would be to remove the precats on your fabspeed headers(unless they don't have them)...it will be like your 430.

7. tlow888

tlow888 Rookie

Aug 7, 2016
    Nice write up Brent. Looking forward to hearing from the S-Line owner so we can install it on one of the Gitlow Media cars. We may even consider an install and review write-up.

8. 45800

45800 Rookie

Aug 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sah
    Installed the s line exhaust with test pipes today
    OMG is the best sound ever.
    Even better than my x Huracan with custom exhaust. I am happy with F1 tone and how loud it is.
    I don’t think I will add headers later.
    I drove the car for 20 minutes no check engine light.
    It might come later.

This is the best exhaust for 458

plastique999 likes this.
  9. BrettD

BrettD Rookie

Jan 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Brett Fuller
    Hello,

I am thinking about doing this same setup with the s line test pipes and s line exhaust. Would you have any video clips to share of it?

I’m trying to figure out what would be the better of the two options for the best f1 sound. Fabspeed headers & sline exhaust or sline test pipes and exhaust.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    What’s the aluminum shield between the Ediff and exhaust? Guess it’s not oem

11. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
  12. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
  13. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    How would this sound with just the S line and Test Pipes?

14. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
    #14 FourFiveGreat, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Similar tone, slightly muffled and a bit less volume. Doing all three is obviously the optimal move for the most extreme sound (that last 3-5% of sound), though the lion's share of the ROI comes from those 2 pieces. Here's a video of a car with only the 2 pieces.

deli333 and mdrums like this.
  15. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
  16. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
    NormalGuySupercar just posted a fabulous roundup of an assortment of 458 exhaust setups:

I won’t spoil it, but the original setup as described in the OP makes an appearance. Worth a watch, thumbs up, and a subscribe.

ShineKen likes this.
  17. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What is the difference in sound between the steel and titanium s-light exhaust? Is it a really noticeable difference?

18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    S line needs to make an exhaust for the Speciale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What would it sound like with stock headers and cats with the s-line exhaust?