need parts for f430 spider convertible | FerrariChat

need parts for f430 spider convertible

Discussion in '360/430' started by bocaf430, Dec 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    Is there a source for parts for spider components other then the Ferrari dealership, one of my side flaps must have got hung up when I went to put the top down,...well it broke...its a fiberglass flap...looks like from the dealer the part alone is around $798.00 I would buy a used one if I could and just have it repainted... is there a used parts source? thanks in advance

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Try eurospares, they are always breakng cars

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Or Exotic Italian Recyclers. There are a number of places that break cars. It is also a fiberglass part so you could repair it.

4. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrparts in Sacramento and eBay too.

5. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    thank you all

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    To save you some effort, the last 3 are all the same place. They DBA several different names.

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John - Ferrparts is not Exotic Auto Recycling. Ferrparts is Ferrari Part Exchange though.

8. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I have a feeling this is not going to be a cheap repair :( so pissed this happened..... this is the first issue I ever had with this car.

9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The flap breaking tells me that there are pre-existing problems. Do a thorough inspection of the capote mechanism before replacing the flap.

10. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    It always worked perfectly prior.... top doesn't get put down often... I think something just got hung up... it works fine now.. as long as the capote flap (what's left of it) is in the right position

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There are threads on here about this. I can't remember if it was a microswitch or related to the elastic straps. Maybe both. As I recall, that person just repaired the flap.

12. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I think I just need to replace the flap... its working fine now.... I was not paying attention and then just heard the flap crack.... any idea on cost..replace flap and install?

13. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Its called a "Capote Flap". I broke mine because the cable popped out of the drive assembly and it got out of sync. You need to fix this first so you don't bust your next/new one. I had mine safety wired so it doesn't pull out again. I bought a reproduction from Exotic Auto Recycling which was a poorly made casting; tabs broke off immediately. EAR accepted the return BTW. Looked for a used one but none available at the time. Paid the $700+ OEM price and had it painted. Ended up being a $1000 bill all in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    thanks dave…… they were able to remove old and install new without pulling car apart?

15. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Yes, not a big deal. Safety wiring both cables in the drive mechanism was just a matter of stopping the tonneau in the right position. Getting both capote flaps in sync was the greater challenge.

16. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Did you bring to Rob?

17. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I told rob about it, I need to bring it to him, it happened day before heading back to LI... all good with your car?

18. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Yes mine is great. Just won a Platino at the palm beach Concorso.

19. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Can you point to the spot where you safety wired it? Also just to clarify, if it is working correctly and you want to safety wire it, you do not need to pop off the flaps, correct?

20. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I did not actually do this myself but it was described to me by my mechanic. I believe there is a central (centered) motor drive that provides the rotation to the two (like a speedometer) cables that in turn drive the Capote flaps. The cable and sleeve can pull out of the drive unit enough to get out of sync. I don't exactly know the mechanics of the safety wiring but it should be accessible by raising the tonneau cover. As I understood from him, the safety wiring is done at the motor drive end, not the Capote end.