Help! In Paris and | FerrariChat

Help! In Paris and

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ScottS, Dec 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Desperately trying to get my wife a Birkin bag for the Holidays. I spent several hours at the flagship store only to have a lovely sales associate Veto my request. Does anyone have a connection at Hermes Paris that could help me be a hero for my wife ? I guess I know more about cars than handbags. This is like getting a TdF allocation.

Thank you.

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    There’s a chance that you can get one at CDG duty free.

Or, call New York or Chicago retailers and have them deliver the day you return. I’d avoid VAT if I could.

(I’m not much help!)

Matt

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 4th_gear, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    I would never buy from a boutique unless they were polite and respectful. The "lovely sales associate" can stuff it.

Buy one from high end auction instead. Christie's has a huge selection, including limited editions. Like boutique prices, they are not cheap but it's more fun as you should do a bit of research before selecting lots to bid on. There's an auction in London on Dec 12 so you have time to register - that auction has more than 180 HERMÈS bags from various periods, colours.

There's FedEx shipping but no VAT if you buy (your shipping address) from outside the EU but US Customs may charge a tariff, easy to determine if you download the tariff table from US Customs. You will still pay US sales tax(es).

4. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Thanks. Auction looks like it is.

I cannot fault the sales associate just like my sales guy who says no to a Pista.

Chicago and NY no help. Ever.

Scott

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 4th_gear, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    True. It all depends on how they turn you down. Make sure you ask questions, get and read condition reports on auction lots. Good luck and have fun!

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Try Galleries Lafayette on Blvd Haussmann (they have a Hermes dept., for sure). Also maybe Printemps or Le Bon Marche?

… although I have no clue about what specific items they sell.

walnut likes this.
  7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

Is there a specific design or color she is looking for. I may be able to help. PM me?

S

8. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey Scott-*VERY IMPORTANT* make sure you get a copy of the Cites papers (pronounced "Sight-ese") if you purchase an exotic-skinned bag. I'd not even look at a bag at auction until verifying not only that they have the paperwork, but that it matches the bag. If you try going through customs and don't have, they may let you across the border, but not your bag ....

Good luck

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

^^^^ This...

Which also goes for an auction bag as well.. helps you to confirm it's the real deal... nothing like getting home and finding out you have a kit car built on a Fiero chassis and not a real Ferrari!

S

10. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Hermès in Vegas (bellagio) has plenty of bags when I was looking this summer if that floats your boat.

11. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Thank you. Went to 17 Rue de Serviers. Got some offers and made her happy. Was assured of a Birkin on my next trip from the SA. It’s like buying a Lusso to get a Pista. Know anyone that happened to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crinoid likes this.
  12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I was at Hermès flagship a few years back during tax free weekend. It was unbelievable. Must have been 50 ladies purchasing anywhere from 1 bag to several equestrian saddles being ordered. It was amazing to see hundreds of thousands being spent as fast as possible.

13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Glad it worked out. So, you now have a future allocation for a lady's purse???!!!??? ... It is a strange world.