Whos Gone Backwards in Terms of Ferrari Model Ownership? | FerrariChat

Whos Gone Backwards in Terms of Ferrari Model Ownership?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ihavearedferrari, Dec 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Curious to know who has gone from a newer Ferrari model to an older Ferrari model and not regretted their decision? And what made you make that choice?

I know of a few guys that have gone from a 360 to an F355 based on emotions. I'm contemplating "downgrading" to an older, higher mile car so I can put thousands of miles on it and not care about resale value.

Discuss.

Cheers

vrsurgeon and paulchua like this.
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I will stick with my F355 which I have owned for 18 years.

No manual, no buyee.

3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I have an 812 and a 575, the 575 looks great, but im not gonna lie and say its a better driver or anything like that. They're both cool in their own right, I think the 575 looks alot better, but man the 812 is just the best driving machine I've ever encountered by a wide margin.

daytona355 likes this.
  4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Ordered and bought a new 2015 California. Traded it in 2016 for a 2009 612. Not really apples to apples but it is going backwards in time. :)
    Best car move I ever made.

daytona355, randkin and G. Pepper like this.
  5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I -kinda- did. First was a 99 F355, now a 95 F355.

6. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Went from a 599 to a 360CS- only 3 years backward but feels like a generation separation

7. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    What are you considering swapping it for Adam?

8. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I traded back from the 488 to the 458 because I think it is almost as good and $100K less. I consider a good move. Then traded the 458 backwards to a California T, because I have not had one, and am very happy with that decision. The Cali will be my 20th F Car, with a 812SF due in any day. I am VERY impressed with the California T. Rides nice, handles nice, looks nice,very fast, bargain price. Great move.

daytona355 likes this.
  9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Well, I went from an '01 456M to an '00 360 stick, and the 360 is a lot more raw, but I also have an '80 308 GTSi, so right now I have two old V8's. So I guess getting the 308 after I already had the 456M was backwards.

I plan to sell the 308 and replace it with a 612 or an FF though, because I miss the 2+2 and the V12. I don't care if GT's are paddle shift, but the auto in the 456M got boring after a while.

I've been going back and forth between the 612 and the FF for over a year now. I love the FF's tech, but it looks awkward to me, while the 612 is beautiful. Tough choice, but I'm rambling now. :)

10. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mitch, if you ever decide to sell, let me know. I was the previous owner and once I get at least one kid out of the house I will start looking for another.

11. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Tried to go backward, way back... but the bank account said “Nope”.

Dave rocks likes this.
  12. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    #12 Testarossa Lover, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Had the Testarossa for 7 years and now have a F430. I am looking for another Testarossa. I will keep the 430, I never cared about mileage or values going up or down. Before I buy a 458, I will buy Testarossa. Not sure if I will sell the F430.

I guess that will be going backwards???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2494342

13. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    An 04 360 Spider and then added a 99 456M. Does that count as going backwards?
    Had I bought the 456 first, I probably wouldn’t have bought the Spider.
    Absolutely happy with the decision and order - the Spider is perfect for my 40s and 50s, the GTA for my 60s and 70s!

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My forward move was from a 1967 4 liter V-12 to a 1981 3 liter V-8.

Still pretty retrograde.

Matt

Boomhauer likes this.
  15. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Going older is not a downgrade in my experience. Drive feel is more differentiated by era... no traction, no ABS etc. Some of us yearn to learn each which improves our driving and gives a sense of fulfillment. I've driven cars from 1973 to 2015 on track over nearly 10 years.

one4torque, Portofino and paulchua like this.
  16. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    #16 Portofino, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    I would not use the language “ downgrade “ either .

Had mono speccio TR 86 for about 7 years traded it UP to a 360 which lasted about another 7 years before sale .Theses were high day and holiday cars .3 rd car .

My daily driver is Bentley Conti GT W12 .
    So in performance terms , refinement and even a “ special place “ to be I started to loose the special feeling and indeed the extra omph the 360 was supposed to do , coming from the Conti every day .

Also it had too much what I call electrotwackerey that in my view anaesthetised the experience.
    So I just stopped looking “ UP “ after all who really needs all those switches and programs on the steering wheel of 430 or 488 .
    Also from previous experience I realised about 300 Hp is about as much as any ordinary driver can handle in a 2WD car , without electrotwackerey stepping in wether you know it or not .

So with investment near the top , not performance i stated looking back into the 70s, for an analogue car preferably a carb version .
    At the same time the Gandini Bertone style GT4 now suddenly seems a pretty car .
    Times and moods change now 40 years + on the GT 4 has matured in desirably.At the time I was a 911 man in the 80 ,s and 90 ,s
    Because performance has dropped out of the equation for me I don,t need to go out and get a speed fix in the F car .
    I like the classic status and all that comes with it .
    I particularly like the 2-3 warning lights on the dash , high beam , generator ( snapped belt ) + another ? Ie zero CEL , zero ECU ,s
    No ABS , no airbags etc etc the mechs are simple as a wheelbarrow, just Boggo wheel bearings no inbuilt sensors etc .
    Love the quad twin barrel Webber’s , love the diss cap , etc .
    So it’s not “ downgrading “ it’s better to say I’ve gone retro or classic that’s how I think .

It’s smaller as well physically which I like the newer stuff are oversized imho.

Driving a classic / retro without “ nannies “ help well tingles more nerve ends .
    Gives a different experience to modern performance cars which exactly what I was looking for .
    The experience is out there just in a different decade you are not “ downgrading “

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I appreciate this, and respect it, but for me I want the best combination of classic and modern I can get, especially as taking vacations in my Ferraris is my main goal. I liked that the 456M was the classic front engine V12 configuration, but it had ABS, traction control, and an air bag. Pretty sweet in Ferrari's last car with popup headlights. :) My three vacations in it were sublime; US 60, the BRP, and to see the 2012 annular solar eclipse.

I feel the same about the 360 stick, and it's the first modern car with an aluminum tub. Doing 101 up the west coast in it next year.

The 308 has been a disappointment, frankly, as it's slow as a slug and a bear to wrestle around at parking lot speeds. Fun to be seen in, a hoot to drive spiritedly, and people love the car, but am I going to drive it from Texas to California for a vacation? Absolutely not. Too primitive.

The 308 did inspire me to get the 360 though, so it played its part.

Now I'm going back and forth between a 612 and an FF to replace the 308 (Really, it would be replacing the 456M). If the FF wasn't so funky looking, it would be an easy decision, as it's a thoroughly modern car, but still an NA V12. As it is, a pre-OTO 612 seems to be the ticket. The F1A is a real improvement on the original F1 transmissions, it has an auto mode for the "stuck in traffic" episodes, and there are none of the complex buttons and switches on the steering wheel. It may be the most modern Ferrari I could live with, but I have not yet driven an FF, so I'm not positive.

Themaven likes this.
  18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I sold my 458 spider back and looked for an F430 spider manual for a while. I gave up looking for hen's teeth and settled first for a Corvette C7 manual convertible and now an Alfa 4c.

It's enough fun for me.

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I’ve gone backwards on street Porsches (but not all the way back to air-cooled. BTDT). On Ferraris, I don’t envision going forward from my 355 Ch, but may go back to a specific 60s race car if I can afford to buy it and owner is willing to sell it to me.

20. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I went from a '97 F355 to a 2000 360, then back to a '95 F355. Love the visceral experience of the older cars.

mclaudio and Dave rocks like this.
  21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im about to sell my California and will eventually get back into a 360

one4torque likes this.
  22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Not a 355?

Matt

P.S. I went way back in time and got a ‘27 Bugatti 37B instead of my 330 2+2.

Matt

anunakki likes this.
  23. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I could always change my mind but Im thinking the 360 is a little more livable in my 'old age'

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    OP, it would've been funny if you said by going back you bought a Lincoln and continued to quote Matthew McConaughey lol.

“Sometimes you gotta go back to actually move forward..."

25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I had a 488 GTB (amazing car) and had a Pista allocation (also think it’s incredible). But, the cars that really excite me the most are older models. I have an exceptional 89 328 GTB and an equally amazing 99 355 F1 Berlinetta. After thinking about it A LOT, and really being honest about where my true passion rests with respect to this hobby, I decided to relinquish my Pista allocation and focus my attention on finding the right Countach, which has always been my dream car since I was 13. I love the modern cars tremendously, but I really gain a lot of enthusiasm from preserving and maintaining older models at to highest standard.