My First Post (458 or 488?) | FerrariChat

My First Post (458 or 488?)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by oo7ml, Dec 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi there,

This is my first post so apologies if I am posting in the wrong section.

I was hoping to order my first Ferrari early next year but I just found out this week, that Ferrari have just stopped production of the 488.

My car history has predominantly been made up of Porsches.

I've always been a fan of the '360, 430, 458, 488' range... however now I won't know what the 488 replacement will be for some time, and more importantly, considering it will be my first Ferrari, i'm sure my name won't even make the list :)

While I wanted to buy a new Ferrari, so I could spec it to my preference, I'm now even thinking if I need to buy a second hand Ferrari, I might be better off buying a 458 (not a Speciale) instead of a 488, for the NA engine, and the fact that they are probably a better investment for my first Ferrari, as they are the last NA engine in their category / range.

I would appreciate any advice that anyone here might have on my situation and my view above.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Welcome. You need to drive them both. The 488 outperforms the 458 in every aspect but the 458 fans will say that its NA and sound is better which is true. As far as investments- neither are but likely the 458 has gone through the depreciation curve already where 488 depending on which year and spec you buy may cost you a bit -not that it matters- none of these cars are investments.

No one knows about the 488 replacement and likely its 12-18 months away from being available and then you have to see if you can get an allocation. ID buy a used car asap, enjoy it and then trade in. Life is too short to wait for the latest and greatest model. Buy whats available and drive the hell out of it.

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    where did you hear that Ferrari stopped production of the 488?

4. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the reply, mich appreciated.

I called two separate dealerships last week and both said that they had stopped production of the 488, and they were therefore unable to take new orders.

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Buy a slightly loved 488 from your local dealer. Will help you get the replacement. Going forward, I don’t think getting regular productionodels will be as difficult going forward with Ferrari going public.

Cigarzman likes this.
  6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I’m afraid getting a regular production model will be like this. :eek:

Gh21631, klinkman and SoCal to az like this.
  7. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    if you want to be considered for future allocation, buy from your local dealer

Caeruleus11 and SoCal to az like this.
  8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Having owned various Ferraris including a 458 Italia I will comment on it. The 458 provides a glorious experience each and every time you drive it. It’s a raw visceral sports car experience. I wouldn’t hesitate buying one again. Go for it!

up4speed and m3doc like this.
  9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Search for a 458 spider in the color and spec you want in the used market. (Might take a while)

Buy it, drop the top and enjoy!

tekaefixe, anishka and SoCal to az like this.
  10. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks all, much appreciated... I'll let you know how I get on, thanks.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I really doubt Ferrari would stop the 488 production right now - what would they build now, only Pista / Portofino / 812 and hard to sell Lusso?
    Regarding 458 vs 488, the 458 fans are very vocal here which may distort the appreciation ;)
    Truth is, it all depends on what you're looking for. As an older car, a carefully selected 458 could most probably be a better value for money than a more recent, and significantly more expensive, 488.
    The 488 is for me a better car though, the 458 screaming that many seem to love is just a way to mask its lack of power. The 488 has 100 hp more as peak power, and the difference is even more than that, because more torque across the rev range actually means much more power at intermediate engine speeds.

up4speed and SoCal to az like this.
  12. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for your reply.

I called 2 separate Ferrari dealerships last week and both said that Ferrari were not taking any more orders for the 488 because they have stopped production. They expect to unveil it's replacement in March 2019 (Geneva Motor Show most likely).

of2worlds likes this.
  13. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I just checked with my salesman at Ferrari Lake Forest (Illinois), formerly Lake Forest Sportscars and he confirmed but stated that he thought they still had one or two 488 allocations and that production was scheduled to be stopped in June. So it does look like the 488 is winding down.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If this is true, then Pista production will ramp up and anyone who wants a Pista will be able to get one as many have been saying.

No sense in ordering a brand new 488 now. Get a slightly used one.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My suggestion is to test drive both from your local dealer. If you really prefer the 488, then that's easy. Tell the dealer you want to be in the first 2 years of allocation on the 488 successor- and get it in writing. Keep in touch with the dealer and stop by from time to time and meet not just the salesperson but also the GM and also make sure the GM is aware of your arrangement. If you prefer the 458, then you can get that, wait and see when the 488 successor debuts, and then you can see if they can put you on the list. If the wait is much longer than you would like, then offer to trade the 458 for a 488 but you want to be in the first 2 years allocation.

Between the cars, yes, I am taken by the 458's charms. I find the 488 to be very fast but doesn't have the same fury at the top of the rev range, certainly not the same sound, and overall just seems to me they decided to take the model in a more "GT" direction than the 458. Something I don't really appreciate. So the Italia is the better choice for me, but what about you. I think you have to consider that on the other hand, the 488 is easier to live with, and easier to take out non car enthusiast friends or spouses. And did I mention it is insanely fast?! It really is. The 458 is fast, but the 488 is another planet. And being newer means more warranty coverage.

theplanner and of2worlds like this.
  16. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    On a side note... I just called Lamborgini (am I allowed mention that word here :) to enquire about the Huracan, and he said the same... the current Huracan is now ending production and a new facelift Huracan is coming out in March called the Huracan Evo. It is basically the Performante without the wing on the back.

SoCal to az likes this.
  17. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Unless you are Kimi behind the wheel, buy a 2012 or newer 458 Spider, its more car than 98% of people on here know how to drive to its limits. Even in the rain you can roll down its rear window with the top up and not get wet and listen to the engine that you can't do with the coupe. That's coming from someone in Seattle!!! Check out my post on maintenance results.

oo7ml, tekaefixe and of2worlds like this.