F430 Coolant Temp Issue? | FerrariChat

F430 Coolant Temp Issue?

Discussion in '360/430' started by caymangone, Dec 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Guys. My coolant temp gauge stays at the 120 degree mark for several minutes without moving after idling for several minutes. As a matter of fact, I can drive several miles before the needle begins to move off the 120 mark. Outside temp around 50.degrees. At first I thought the thermostat was stuck open so I just replaced it. Same issue. Could it be the temp sensor? Most sensors I've seen either works or they don't. The gauge will eventually start to climb up to maybe 160 indicated but it definitely takes way longer than it used to. I haven't checked the fans but I don't think they're running at cold start-up and I don't think that would matter anyway if the thermostat is closed. Next, I'll check the coolant temp indicated on a scanner tool and compare to the gauge. Any other ideas? The gauge sensor is right above the thermostat, correct? Thanks!

2. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    First with the caveat that these cars are notoriously slow to warm up, especially at idle, fans are easy enough to check. Could be a stuck relay. Also check the coolant level. Has the heater been working properly? You should get heat in less than a mile of driving. FWIW, I don't let the car idle for longer than it takes the exhaust valves to close, less than a minute. Roughly 5-7 miles in 45 degree ambient before the water temp reaches 140 degrees and 10 miles before the oil temp is 150 degrees.

3. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Shad99! The length of time I let it idle depends on how long it's sat and at what temp. On hot summer days, I'll take off after the exhaust valves close like you. On colder days, I'll give it a little longer. I've got an incline out of the driveway and the F1 will slip a little more than I like if I take off too soon (cold hydraulics).