Biggest complaint about your 308/328/GT-4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Biggest complaint about your 308/328/GT-4

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308 milano, Dec 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Patience is a virtue - I plan to get one next month. Just have to find the right one. Then I'll find something to complain about.

308 milano likes this.
  2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Where are you located, I may know a couple for sale, any particular year you’re looking for?

4. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I’m sometimes taken aback by the HP complaints. For a while I had a Cayman S with 285 HP pushing around just over 2900 pounds. I never wanted more power and the car was a blast in our AZ mountains. My 308 purportedly has 255 HP pushing around just over 2300 (VR) pounds. So my 308 has between 10-15% more HP/pound than my Porsche Cayman S had. And...guess what...the 308 feels a bit quicker actually. The Porsche will crush it in terms of comfort and road holding. But as to the 308 being under powered, mini van food, etc...maybe I’m just too easy to please.

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    The position and ergonomics of the gas pedal seems to be optimized for full throttle. So I got aching problems in my right leg on longer distances with half or less throttle.
    I showed the problem to my physiotherapist who showed me some training excercises. Problem disappeared.
    It seems WE have to to adapt ourselves to the little discomforts and not the other way round (modifications on the car).

Best from Germany
    Martin

6. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I'm in Austin Texas. I'm really looking for a Euro QV - ideally 84 or 85, but would be happy with an 83. Prefer red over tan, ideally with black carpets though.

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I often wonder, who these folks are, who complain about horsepower. Our cars are up to 40 years old and considered as classic cars.
    They are a lot more, than just fast cars from forgotten times. I love the raw feeling of my carb beast. Noises, handling and such things.
    Talking about horsepower versus fun: My wife owns a 100hp Fiat 500 16V with sports suspension. Our quattrovalvole family go-kart :) A serious challenge on twisty roads for heavy sedans up to 300 or even more hp.

Best from Germany
    Martin

vaccarella, Hannibal308 and thorn like this.
  8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The QV was my dream car since around 1979, but a few months before I bought one I was cross-shopping a new bespoke Cayman S Turbo. The Porsche was a bit more money, but superior in every technical way... certainly so much faster. I also love the styling tweaks of the latest models. It was my son who said late one night, "Dad, the Porsche will be awesome. But in 2-3 years, it will be just a car to you. And you'll be wishing you had bought the Ferrari."

He was right, of course. There are certainly days I wish I had the Cayman, but I never wish I'd bought it instead of the Ferrari. And it's fast enough to make me smile.

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    We need a REALLY LIKE button...

Martin308GTB likes this.
  10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Interesting. I find the 308 seat to be one of the better ones around. I guess it relates to body shape or something.

robbie308 and Martin308GTB like this.
  11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Mine has this complete concave shape, as it I'm forced to almost slump in it.

12. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As to horsepower, I had always wanted a 246 Dino and the 308 was my second choice so I ended up with more horsepower than I originally planned. I think it gets brought up disproportionally in 308 discussions because it looks so similar to the Boxer and people who don't really know Ferrari's don't know that it was the Dino's replacement and not supposed to compete with the supercars of the era such as the Countach. It was however perfectly competitive with its peers such as the 911 and Corvette.

Complaints? Nah, I knew what I was getting into when I bought my 308. Its exactly what I expected it to be.

13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    And the trunk is too small to carry home a big galvanized steel oil drip pan for the garage floor.

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    only time I don't enjoy my car is the few occassions I've ended up driving on a rainy night.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh and my third complain is, they are under priced.

308 milano and Albert-LP like this.
  16. Dorsetgem

Dorsetgem Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    Verwood UK
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Being a short arse I would say the seating position, and pedal location on my RHD.

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The only complaint I have about this design masterpiece and Ferrari history milestone is the price: too low. That's one of the best looking and best cars Ferrari ever did.

ciao

308 milano likes this.
  18. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I'm a short arse too and my gt4 fits me perfectly ... except that the sun visor is completely useless of course.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    And that's perfect for me.

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    What's wrong, if good things are inexpensive? I like the fact, that the cars are still reasonably priced, since insurance rates are value dependent and crazy values attract 'false friends'. See the increased thefts of 308s over here in 2015, when there was 'that bubble'.
    It's still just a car for me and should deliver fun and not sleepless nights in hotels, where there's only outside parking.

Best from Germany
    Martin

robbie308 and 308 milano like this.
  21. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I dislike how many misconceptions people have about the car; overestimating complexity and cost of maintenance, inaccurate performance and weight statistics, overstated fragility and special treatment required, exaggerated lack of availability of parts, etc. All are not true.

Hannibal308 and Martin308GTB like this.
  22. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I have owned my black '87 GTS for 31 years. Things I don't like about it are:

1. Under certain sunny conditions seeing the instrument cluster hood in the windshield.
    2. Insufficient AC even though mine works as best it can.
    3. Large turning radius.

23. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    A few observations from a non-owner (currently at least; I plan to own a 308 at some point.)

The arguments I am reading could be made about most sports cars. On NSXPrime, just swap out Ferrari for NSX and you will read similar threads. Horespower? Fragile parts? AC? Hardtop versus coupe? Sight lines with sun in your windshield? Hell, even my right IT band hurts when I do long drives if I don't use cruise control. You get the idea.

Here is why I stalk this site; the car is drop-dead gorgeous. It is a moving piece of art. Were I able to find a rolling chassis (i.e. justify some expense), that car would be in my lobby as a piece of art. When I think of what Pininfarina did with these cars...pure love. Can you imagine that final design meeting? Sitting back and smiling, knowing you nailed it. You could just walk away from your career at that point knowing you hit the pinnacle.

As it stands today, I have the Japanese version of art (which I will never sell). I do make concessions to my Italian friends and have added Tubi exhaust (all my NSXs have had Tubi on them - though I haven't gone so far as to put ITBs on yet!)

Give me a few more years to address some financial responsibilities...and god-willing, I will own a 308. I may just buy some white coveralls and treat the car like it is in surgery when I work on it (read: slow, methodical, precise, intentional.) And, I will post my photos of the car.

You are all super lucky to own these cars. Keep them in good shape for the next generation of enthusiasts! I will be knocking soon.

thoke, Crowndog, 308 milano and 3 others like this.
  24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Wow! Thanks for this. I will print and frame it and hang it onto my garage wall. For the rare occasions, when I sometimes wish to light up my car :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

Crowndog likes this.
  25. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    All that’s been covered plus the S-L-O-W
    windows.