458 Maintenance Inspection Results - 22K miles - 4 years | FerrariChat

458 Maintenance Inspection Results - 22K miles - 4 years

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Aeroengineman, Dec 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    At 22,587 miles and the 4th anniversary I took my 2015 458 for its “free” annual service and here are the results:
    1. I had them dipstick the oil and it was almost to the bottom of “one quart down”, that's over 5600 miles since last year at this time with 70% of daily driving mixed with 30% spirited driving. That's an awesum oil consumption rate.
    2. Rear tires new a year ago had 5mm tread above the rub indicators (new =7mm) Front tires are 3 & 4 years old and showing cracks and showing 4.5 and 2.5mm respectively so I will get two new ones in April for the driving season - the car is needing an alignment because over the last 4 years I hit two pot holes that popped the front tires.
    3. Front and rear brake pads at 9mm (10mm is new) = 150,000 miles before they are gone.
    4. Disk Rotors front and back are worn 2% so I will never have to replace them.
    5. I asked of there was a clutch reading and they said this isn't like a regular clutch and they simply don't wear out so we have no indication and we've never seen a failure (High time local car is 85,000)

This car is as good as any Lexus my wife has owned. I don't drive the car really hard on spirited drives like you'd drive it on the track for your best lap, but I did keep pace behind the lead car (488) in the middle group on the 1500 mile Grand Tour of Oregon we did last summer. I don't track the car because its black and I don't want the chip rash on the paint and the risk of loss due to a moment of bad driving skill by me or someone else.

I would encourage the 458 community to report their maintenance results here along with their driving style so we can develop a data base to know what to expect.

Here is my toy:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 707

707 Karting

May 29, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Knock on wood. So far i have the 7 year maintenance program. 2012 458 spider. I had my battery changed about 2 years ago under warranty. Also i changed all 4 tires at around 20 000 km. Changed the back to a bit wider. Did the brake pads this year at 27 000km, went looking for brambo. Part alone was $5k Cad. Went with pagid instead. No issues so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wow that is great news. these cars are really bullet proof. mine has one year of warranty left i might not even need to renew it

4. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    These are as mechanically bullet proof except sensors are on a timer.

Have a 2012 spider 44000km
    Besides regular maintenance (oil brake fluid etc)
    Replaced:
    Pair of o2 sensors + rear right speed sensor in 2017
    Rear left speed sensor in late 2018

However my e diff recovery light has come on.

The gearbox ediff pressure running invalid signals, sign that sensor needs replaced, sensor is in DCT gearbox, classified by Ferrari as a level 2 repair, meaning needs ediff to be de coupled with transmission, come off and dismantled sensor replaced.

Will cost me 13k at dealer, 6k at independent.

Would have been covered under extended factory warranty but I had exhaust mod so voided it.

DefunctNeurons and whatheheck like this.
  5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I wouldn't think an exhaust mod would void the transmission warranty. I'd personally fight that.

However, if you modified the ECU that controls the gearbox, then that would make sense.

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agree, I think this really depends on the dealer.

Sent from my 16M

7. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    In the US we have the Magnuson - Moss Warranty Act which in essence says a warranty can't be voided due to aftermarket parts unless it can be shown that the parts caused the problem.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    I’m in HK we don’t have consumer protection laws like in the US

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Good info here Dave !

Oil consumption looks hughe but is within limits …. but it shows that we need to check it once a month …

Tyre wear is normal, I count one rear set every other year, fronts every 3 years.

Pads is another story, it depends on the use of the car. If you do 2 or 3 "real" trackdays, your pads may be gone completely :eek:

Same is for front rotors … beware, these CCRM disks are frightfully expensive …

Interiour should be cleaned once a year too imo, carefully use a soft cloth with warm water for most rubbish.

Apply leather cleaner and moisterizer (or what that is called) then … not much of work !

And allways on a modern battery tender, my last battery was changed by myself exactly two years ago now. See page 5 of my thread Yolo.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Interesting your impression on oil consumption. That's only 0.2 quart every 1000 miles. Bad consumption by my experience on an engine is 1000 per quart. It would be interesting if more people reported this statistic. I am going to check the oil level in 3000 miles to see if the rate is holding.

11. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    My AMGs and Porsche's tell me when to add more oil. I assume the 458 does the same? Or do I actually need to check the level?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Personally i would be worried if it was not comsuming oil, if its not dropping you need to think about fuel contamination as all engines burn oil. Consumption in reasonable ammounts is good as it allows you to top up with new additives

Melvok likes this.