Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 396 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Downdrafts built for the Middle East market had these.

That particular car no longer has the safety panel, and is in the USA.

ken qv likes this.
  2. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Wow, very interesting! The show was in September 1985 and our car was deliver in November 1985... I wonder...

3. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    GLA12997 was delivered on may 14th 1986.

4. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Great that another has come to the US (so many have left)..
    Is the tailcone slit/Middle East market a solid theory or just a “most often” “usually” type of thing? (because Lamborghini!)
    Mangs’ car:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    May the 13th, but note John's not talking about GLA12997.

It's not a theory, the specification for cars built for the Middle East market included this application plus the larger airtight air-box, and a 3rd brake light on the power dome, there are lots of examples of this.

Meanwhile the car you show no longer has the rear safety panel either.

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Period pic by Marcello showing no less than 5 Downdrafts in what I think are the 3 most prolific colors, red, white & black, in that order

Spyder-Man, Boomhauer and ken qv like this.
  7. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    This is an important remark but since it is not DD specific, I did not want to spoil that thread with it. Joe has already mentioned many cars coming from Europe.
    I started a new one at the right place about a possible giant sucking sound of classic exotics leaving Europe. May be we will have a Countachless Europe soon?
    It would be interesting to put any perpective you may have ove there.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/are-euro-goverments-pushing-for-the-death-of-large-displacemwent-pertol-cars.590148/

8. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I will check that out.. last recession in the US it seemed half of ours left for Japan. Some DDs included.

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  10. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    It is a brake warning reset button.

11. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I thought it was for low brake fluid?

12. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Yep, if your brake fluid is low, this illuminates. Only purpose in pushing it is to ensure the bulb isn’t burned out (sort of test feature so to speak).

Mike

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you all for the responses

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I would say that some USA buyers are cherry-picking nice examples of Downdrafts (and other variants) and bringing them in, we've been involved with @ a dozen cars coming here in the last 5 years, and a significant number have come in with other parties, but regardless, there'll still be many Countachs in Europe, all this activity is still a fraction of the Countach population.

The last recession from 2008 saw some Countachs outbound from the USA but not mainly to Japan per se, in fact in recent times a number of Countachs including Downdrafts have left Japan, at least 2 of which came to the USA.

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Come Fly with Me.

Speaking of travelling Countachs, the German-based JLA12378 is at last ready to get on a plane, destination USA

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Nice pic, Joe. Whoever the photographer was, he captured that power dome perfectly.

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

An older post for sure, but it was worth affirming this earlier statement from Joe.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    A talented man.

Thank you.

20. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Lemacc or Joe,

Do you think the factory would have records if the Frankfurt Motorshow car was GLA12889 or GLA12914? The Rosso Speciale cars that would have been produced at the end of 1985.

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Hopefully! Although I'm not clear on how to get Polo Storico to share recorded material at present.

22. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    None of these two cars were the 1985 Frankfurt Motorshow car which was sold in Germany after the show.

23. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Hi John,
    Lemacc = Leo :) I can just tell you from own experience. Thru some special contacts at factory i got a built sheet some years ago, before even Polo Storico existed. This document includes datas like fabrication date, color combination, engine-, gear-, diff- number, delivery date, delivery to which dealership and documented services at certified Lamborghini dealerships. In this document it was also stated, that my particular Diablo Roadster was a show car at Geneva Motorshow and had a special leather /interior. I don´t know how accurate the factory handled these datas in the 80s. But to answer your question short, it could be possible that they documented this information too.

24. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Thank you! Do you know which chassis this was?

25. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    No, unfortunately I can't find it now, but probably I recorded it somewhere. IIRC, it was an earlier car than the two that you mentioned. I knew the first owner who passed away last year. He told me that he later sold the car in Germany when the prices were high. This must have been ca. in 1990. He did not know what happened to the car later. He saw it once again some years after selling it, during a Lamborghini meeting, and then never saw the car again. He regretted to have sold the car. I personally saw the car in 1985 during Frankfurt Motorshow and found the colour amazing, but never again saw the car. I would really like to know what happened with it. Phantastic car, and with all these stories, maybe my favourite Quattrovalvole (here in Europe we do not say "Downdraft").