Sold - 1977 308 GTB | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sold 1977 308 GTB

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by david, Sep 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

A little later than my car #21039

2. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    I remember when I bought this car. I had been looking for a nice 308 for quite some time and I saw an ad for it in FML. And in issue after issue, the ad drew my attention. It was priced a little higher than I thought it should be, but gosh it sure sounded nice. Well, one day I decided to contact the owner and see what I could find out about the car. No answer. Phone number was incorrect. The ad appeared in the next issue of FML and continued to beguile me. But I couldn't contact the owner.

So my lovely wife, in all her innocence suggested I call my brother in law, who lived in the same town as the owner. Of course I said that was stupid. Just because someone lives in the same large town (population ~90K) as someone else, does not mean that they know each other. So she called her sister and it turns out that the owner of the car was a good friend of her husband's brother and lived just up the road from my brother and sister in law. This would be yet another time that my wife got to triumphantly tell me that I'm an idiot.

So, my brother in law got me the correct phone number to contact the owner and we started to put together a deal. I flew down to check out the car, and it was everything I was looking for. As you can tell from the photos on the nweuro site, it was an absolutely classic 308, just the way I wanted it. So we negotiated a deal. And that's when I lost my job.

Fortunately for me, I appeared to be somewhat employable and had another job in a matter of weeks. So we reopened discussions and consummated a deal. I flew down for a second look and paid for the car. (Side story, I ran into my ex-boss in the men's room at the Burbank airport. He was uncomfortable to say the least. I didn't tell him I was down in California to buy a Ferrari, but I probably should have.) Anyway, I had the car shipped up to me and that was that. I think from the time I first saw the ad, to the time I actually had the car in my possession took probably six months with a whole lot of twists and turns. But man, it was totally worth it!

rob, JuLiTrO and Hightower like this.
  3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Great story Dave....
    I honestly don’t understand why your car hasn’t sold yet....

4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    + 1.

5. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    I think people want a pretty blue car like the one you got. I can totally understand the desire for a non-red car, but I really can't change the color of my car to make all buyers happy. That said, I think it looks pretty dashing in the traditional Ferrari red. It would also be a great color for a Christmas present! Wrap it with a nice yellow and green bow and you're pretty much set... :)

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Yes it would LOL

2 years ago I sold my 77 red gtb with 25k original miles on it to a guy in holland for 110k.......I actually posted it on eBay and he contacted my that way.

Maybe more exposure would help?

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Your story definitely falls under if it was meant to be it was meant to be! You should of told your ex boss you just bought a Ferrari.

david likes this.
  8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Great story and a great car. I hadn't noticed that it wasn't sold yet, I too can't believe it. It's a very fair price on a great car. Hell it even seems cheap compared to what mine went for. Your is a LOT nicer car and a GTB to boot. I miss the old club days chasing each other around on weekend trips.

david likes this.
  9. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Here's to driving these cars!!
    CLASSIC! GLWS

10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great looking car glws

11. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    Hey, I just saw an article talking about Voyager 2. I guess that it has just left the solar system. https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/news/details.php?article_id=112

What caught my eye is that both Voyagers were launched in 1977 a few months before my car was built. One Voyager has over 13 billion miles on it and the other has over 11 billion miles. They apparently are both still going strong, like my car. And I'm pleased to say that my car has significantly less mileage than those slightly older spacecraft.

It takes light (traveling at the speed of light!) about 20 hours to go from Voyager to earth. It might be a bit of a humble brag, but my car could get from Seattle to San Fransisco in less time than that. I will admit that the few times that we did that drive, we kind of stretched it out into a multi day adventure. It's a lot more fun than traveling at the speed of light, although it would be kind of fun to not age I suppose.

The cool thing is, you could probably buy my car and get it to your garage a heck of a lot easier than you could get one of the Voyagers. So there's that...

bagelboy, Thomas Magnum and JuLiTrO like this.
  12. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Or at least George Jetson could....

13. bagelboy

bagelboy Karting

Apr 18, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Henry D.
    Dave, I love your wit, your story and especially your car. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. DanishCarnut

DanishCarnut Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Heine Hansen
    What a nice car, and history. Can't believe it's not sold yet.

15. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Hi david
    Thanks for being such a good steward of this really nice car. I've read all your threads, and had a good look at your car today.
    Left a deposit :) I promise I will take good care of it!

When I get it up to Vancouver - maybe I will wait till the weather is better for the roads and the looming government shut down is over - I'll post with pics and my story about my ill fated 328 that this car will replace.

Ryojo

Oengus likes this.
  16. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well done. Fantastic car.

Oengus likes this.
  17. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    @Basal Skull I'm really glad to hear a fellow FChatter is the buyer! I have enjoyed owning and taking care of this car for many years so it makes me happy that it will pass on to someone who will appreciate it. I'd hate to see all that effort go down the drain. I hope you enjoy all the little extra items included in the sale. Keep the log book going, you will enjoy it when you review it years later. I kept it in the driver's side door pocket and filled it in every time it left the garage.

Jason chuckled when he saw the boxes marked "Ferrari Parts - Do Not Discard". A few years ago, I marked those boxes to avoid catastrophe. My intention was to own the car forever, and I figured I'd mark the boxes before I slipped over the edge. He and I have both experienced older friends and relatives slipping into dementia. So he immediately knew that everything I had done with the car was done with the intent of keeping it forever.

Enjoy driving the car. Enjoy working on it. Enjoy showing it off. You will be amazed at how many people will stop and tell you what a special 308 it is.

david

JuLiTrO likes this.
  18. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Yes, I plan to keep the log going! That log's a great idea. I'm not an expert but I like to think I know my way around these cars (had a 86 euro 328), have looked at a few, and when I saw your car with all the records, boxes and saw your threads, it didn't take long to make up my mind. Carb/GTB! I'm pumped. Can't wait for the weather to get better so I can take her home. My goal is to keep all my cars, and this one might be the last car I want to get. We'll see.
    thx again for taking such good care of 'our' car. And if you ever want to come take a look at her, or take her for a spin, let me know, I'm not that far away - Jason has my contact.

Ryojo

david and rob like this.
  19. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    As you can probably tell from the latest posts, the car has sold. Very happy with the sale to an enthusiast who will take great care of the car. Also a shout out to Northwest European who brokered the sale. I'm not really savvy on all the ins and outs of buying and selling and Jason really made it easy for me and I'm assuming he made it easy for the buyer as well. This post is to tell the moderator to mark the ad as SOLD.

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Congrats on the purchase and sale. This car looked like a special one.

david likes this.
  21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Congrats, on both sides of the deal!!

George Vosburgh and david like this.