488 Replacement | Page 46 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    show me where Ferrari said 'big brother' is a regular model >

stavura likes this.
  2. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Might be worth doing some homework. "They dont milk customers" - MSO make Ferrari look cheap in comparison - eye watering gouging. "They work very close with universities, have their own wind tunnel etc." Ferrari have had their own wind tunnel for many years. Ferrari have many collaborations including Boeing, Apple and many Italian and International Universities. Mac "innovate" - Mac dont build their own anything - they assemble, The engine and gearbox is Ricardo and IMO this means the heart and soul of the car is simply not there. Let alone one engine for all models - thats not innovation - thats just turning up the turbo boost.

Ferrari has and will react. BTW: Just because you have a CF tub doesn't mean you have a better car. Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari dont have CF tub and still manage to complete.

Oh and I have owned a Mac (650S) which I really did like but found it un-inspiring. The Perfomante on the other hand - simply brilliant !!

3. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    So will they build the Pista and Pista Spider beyond 2019?

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I still reckon the facelift 488 will be a 488 with the Pista body. Same as Lamborghini releasing a new facelift Huracan which is the Performante without the rear wing.

5. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    Everything you said here was correct except for 1 thing. Ferrari react? React to what?

Ferrari has a 5 year blue print. I SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY doubt Ferrari will be changing anything just because McLaren has built a great car. I think people miss the point.

GM, FORD, CHEVROLET, AUDI, FIAT want every person on the planet to buy their cars. Even Lamborghini if they could sell 25,000 cars a year they would. Ferrari could care less about that. They are bursting at the seams selling 7k cars a year. They'll be bursting at the seams and still be ultra exclusive at 10k cars per year with 36 MILLION millionaires in the world. Lets suppose just 100,000 of them are Ferrari fanatics. They have a pretty stable loyal customer base.

Shadowfax, Caeruleus11 and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  6. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    +1

Totally agreed as said in my previous posts! Don’t forget the coffee at Geneva.....488 sucessor no hybrid!! Big Brother yes

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1132 Shadowfax, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    I found the same after tracking 600. Great car but unfortunately it's the same old story with the engine. I was really hoping they'd fixed that TBH! Sadly a Mac engine really should not to be compared with any Ferrari, Porsche or Lambo engine as these engines are all simply in another league altogether.

A carbon tub simply does not substitute for a decent heart and soul and has not stood in the way of the competition producing competitive cars. Furthermore, the carbon tub also has issues which aren't to everybodys liking either. If the car had a decent engine and had some more room in the foot-well but until then I'm out. Suffice to say Ferrari remains on very safe/solid ground without CF tub..

Melvok, MANDALAY, Caeruleus11 and 4 others like this.
  8. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    See you there on the 8th :)

When will I see "Big Brother" :(

Melvok likes this.
  9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    You were spot on for Geneva !
    Congrats

10. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Thanks but its very unlikely a video from November 21 has not been posted here already - could it be the one in post #837 ?

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1137 Shadowfax, Dec 10, 2018
    Who wants little brother if big brother spanks little brother?

Sounds like one brother too many.

Little brother also won't be good for Pista unless little brother is weaker in key areas.

Maybe a sister is better.

tekaefixe likes this.
  13. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Interesting point. Might wait until I lock in Pista then :)

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'm thinking same. Will def need some clarity before proceeding any further.

Imagine taking a Pista delivery to find out it's knocked off it's perch by some "little brother" only to then have big brother arrive 12 months later to drive the final nail in. Nice!

Only thing which makes any sense is that "little brother" will be a face-lifted 488 with a "little" V6....and with maybe a few interior cosmetic changes and updates to the MI. That in itself will be bad enough for a 488 which hasn't seen its 5 year term out let alone a Pista. Owch. I can foresee a big bath on 488 and one which I may not wish to repeat. No wonder none are selling on the used market at the already low asking prices.

15. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Not going slower, only faster and faster and faster! :)

16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Further to the name game or perhaps more accurately number game Ferrari could call the V8 replacement for the 488 the 508 GTB and 508/ Spider. This in turn would follow with the V6 electric version known as the 506 GT/E. Then when nobody is expecting they introduce a limited run of 12 cylinder mid-engine cars called the 512 GTB and 512 Spider. The 'big brother' won't get a number id but instead a name like the 'Mugello' to further differentiate that model from the 508 series >

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Agree with most of what you said. Many are forgetting that Ferrari changed from 10 to an 8 year lifespan for the platforms years ago. This being said. If the really want to get their moneys worth out of the proven 458/488 platform they can stick a V6 in it and sell it (No ERS hybrid). Some of the people analyzing the mules have said that some of them seem to have a shorter wheelbase. I would say that it’s possible they’ve taken the 488 and shortened it and modified it for the V6 model and the V8 will have a completely new platform. Also the front V6 will use an existing platform as well.

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Seems as though Ferrari is, at least partially, taking a page out of Porsche's playbook.
    Create multiple different models to appeal to a broader demography.
    It will be interesting to see how things develop over the next 3 years at Ferrari.
    I'm keeping my "classics" though. ;)

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Agree - some clarity would be useful before committing.

Shadowfax likes this.
  20. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I can’t comment on the engine, but the car itself has received near unanimous praise from those who have driven it.

21. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    #1146 kandi, Dec 10, 2018
    ... 720S jumped two models up in horsepower or to be exact, PS (previous model 675 - skipping 720 - to real life figure ~775 PS) but the naming didn't quite respond that. Maybe they realized that 720S' performance with only 720PS from the engine won't make any wow factor.

22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Personally I can't see that happening - IMO would take the exclusivity out of he Pista if it were to drag on

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Agreed. But does Ferrari care as it would sell more high profit cars and satisfy the clients that were told they maybe could get one if there was an additional round. They did say it was not limited.

24. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    More like 800PS really. I think that was reported in some C&D magazine.

25. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    One can only guess what they're precise thinking is

Solid State likes this.