New Effort To Build Racetrack On Oahu | FerrariChat

New Effort To Build Racetrack On Oahu

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by spicedriver, Dec 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  2. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Was reading about this recently. So they get the land from the government, but it's for "recreation". So the politics here are going to dictate what the land is used for. I think it's likely that the city will be besieged by people wanting to use the land for their own pet projects, so a track is no guarantee. I'd like to see it, but I've heard Honolulu politics can be downright Mexico City in terms of the favor dealing.

3. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    That is an understatement. Mexico City would be easier to do stuff in.

808Forza likes this.
  4. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am not holding my breath on this. There is so much resistance in all things that be Hawai'i.

All we have now is auto cross at Aloha Stadium.

After the rail gets finished in 2047 lets move our focus to a race track.

808Forza likes this.
  5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am thinking there is a lot of confusion between a race track and a drag strip. I bet we get a drag strip someday but a racetrack? NFW! Unless Ellison wants to build a belt road racetrack around his island of Lanai! Now we are talking. Come on Larry!

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    A 1/4 mile drag strip needs 1/2 mile shutdown, and at least a 3/4 mile return road = 1.5 mile road course. That's essentially what Hawaii Raceway Park was, on some 100 acres. This site has 200+ acres so it's definitely big enough for a club track (not an FIA spec track).

There was a dirt track operating for a time about 1/2 mile south of this location, with sprint cars and rails. Very loud machines. I don't believe there were any noise complaints. The place shut down because the operator was taking the gate and entry fees, and not paying the rent or any other bills.

The main proponent of the track Cobian is a motocross guy. My major complaint about his plan is that he wants to operate under the City Parks Dept. This means there would be no revenue, or entry fees. City Parks cannot generate revenue. All costs would be paid by the City General Fund. This is going to be a tough sell to taxpayers. IMO, it would be better to operate with enough revenue to pay the operating expenses, like the Municipal Golf Courses.

There are 2 main opponents. 1. The developers - Hunt, Castle & Cooke, Haseko, etc. These are Councilwoman Pine's campaign donors. Residential developers generally don't want any racetracks close by. They want to use the area for a traditional City Park.

2. Save Ewa Field - This is the group trying to save the original WWII airfield. Their main proponent does not want any racing on the airfield, or close to it. A small portion of the 1941 configuration does extend into the proposed 200 acres. Most of the airfield was demolished in the 1970's to make Barber's Point Golf Course. Of course the developers want to keep the golf course. The northern tip of the airfield is covered by a busy road, and a wastewater treatment plant. Hunt has also installed a 20 acre solar farm on the apron. Hunt leases most of the land for the airfield, they plan to demolish whats left for commercial development.

https://amvets-hawaii.org/tag/save-ewa-field/

808Forza and Bob in Makiki like this.
  7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    When I can take the Rail to the racetrack (they'll have bike racks to hold my mc, right?), and i'm in pit lane about to enter for a hot lap... I'll toast their efforts. until then, vaporware.

8. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Here is an update from Ryan Strada, a Morgan Stanley financial advisor in Honolulu and an SCCA driver (posted by his dad on Facebook):

"Oahu is the only major Hawaii island without a race track. Hawaii Raceway Park, which was a track providing almost all forms of racing (drag strip, road racing for cars and motorcycles, motorcycle dirt track, go-cart track, drifting, etc.), closed 12 years ago. There is a big push to open a new track on a portion of 500 acres of land at old Barbers Point to be given to the City and County of Honolulu by the U.S.Navy.

Thanks to efforts of State Representative Sam Kong and his team and Honolulu Councilwoman Ann Kobayashi, the Honolulu Council's Park and Recreational committee passed Resolution 18-265 urging the City administration to finalize the title transfer and use 220 acres of the property for a race track.

On Dec. 5th the full Honolulu City Council approved the resolution with a vote of 8-0 (one excused). If you support this, email: [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected] (or all three) indicating your position on this issue. Please pass on to other supporters! Aloha, Ryan Strada."