FF repair question | FerrariChat

FF repair question

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by speef, Dec 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Gang, FF in for annual at Ferrari, two leaks found, front timing cover and water pump. Big repair, most is labor as engine needs to drop out of way, they are quoting me $14k for labor and $6k in parts (new water pump) I know you pay to play etc but not $20k for a leak

Feedback would be appreciated, the leaks are not bad, car is perfectly driveable, I’m thinking I find an independent at a more reasonable rate (I assume about 1/3 of dealer) and repair pump (internally it’s fully functional)

Constructive feedback appreciated, and I stress constructive :) thank you !

2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    What have you got to lose by going the independent route? I didn't decide to get my FF until I knew that my indy would have all the diagnostic tools and software.

To be fair to the main dealer who has done some work on my FF's fuel system recently (turned out not to be covered under new power warranty) they effected a minor repair of the cabin night time ambience light by desoldering and replacing a duff LED rather than replacing the entire overhead console ($1000). The cost of that job at $50 wasn't enough to take the sting out of $3500 of fuel pump replacement though...

timjen88 likes this.
  3. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Wow, that is definitely something to look into. I would definitely get some quotes from indys, especially when it is an incidental finding and the car is perfectly driveable. BTW, what year is it and how many miles on it?

4. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    I assume you are out of warranty? If you had the warranty or extended power, would this have been covered?

5. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Those sound like general wear items, unless the warranty covers those sorts of things. Probably not, looks from your posting you have a 2012?

6. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Yup i’m under extended warranty but does not cover wear items like these

7. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Thank you

8. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    2012 25k miles

9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Given that my fuel pump wasn't covered by the warranty either, I'm starting to wonder if the warranty is worth bothering with. I know a PTU is going to be $$$$$ from Ferrari, as is a gearbox replace/rebuild if the speed sensor goes but this is where indys will be able to pick up the slack. I've spoken to mine and he says that he is seeing 458, Calis and now FF and F12 coming in to him. The learning process has begun and will be steep. I am resigned to being a bit of a lab rat for some of the fixes but as knowledge is gained on how to repair rather than replace, or replace at lower labour cost, the cost of keeping these cars will fall.

Look at the fix on the lift pump posted by Turbosonoma. There's a dollars and cents gasket fix for a problem which Ferrari otherwise mandates $10,000 worth of wiring loom, control software and pump replacement.

10. cwazyeurodrivr

cwazyeurodrivr Karting

Mar 12, 2017
    Bedford, NH
    #10 cwazyeurodrivr, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Find a established independent shop to look at it. Dealership in Boston quoted me $7100 for new front brake pads, and $4800 for rear on a 17 GTC4Lusso, w/39,890 miles on it. I also do my oil changes every 5000 miles , they wanted $699 for an oil change. I called a local small Ferrari guy in New Hampshire, all brake pads replaced, oil changed, brake fluid flushed , 2 new air filters, cabin filter, 4-wheel alignment , coolant flushed & replaced with waterless coolant, gearbox filter and fluid changed, was out the door at $6730. All he works on is Ferrari & Bentley I was shocked at his pricing and how many cars were there for service, rebuilt, and restorations. He also kept all the replaced parts to show me how worn they were, even kept small cups of the fluids replaced. He's be getting my GTC4Lusso and soon 812 for basic and medium level repairs & maintenance, anything warrantee related it will go to the dealer. When the service manger at the dealer called me asking when I'd like to get my car back in for the repairs. I flat out told him I got it done , and more for a faction of his estimates. He wasn't happy , he attempted to make a comment about after market parts, I stopped him and said " the independent shop I went to purchased all factor parts, with factory part numbers, and I have all the invoices, nice try , but you are 100% incorrect ". Do your due diligence and find a good independent local repair tacitly support local small businesses in the process

11. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Guys thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it, and I always go the independent route. Btw what’s the Ferrari shop in NH ? I have looked for good independents and the guy I had found moved out of state -

12. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Wow sounds crazy expensive! And only at 25k miles.. I am considering a 12/13 FF and intend on driving it 6k miles min a year with no intention of selling it. My biggest concern is something like this. How costly will it be to maintain a car with 40-60k miles in 5 years time from now? Is this problem you have a common problem with the early FFs?

13. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    I hear you, btw don’t know how common water pump failures are and certainly covers leaking this early is unusual

14. cwazyeurodrivr

cwazyeurodrivr Karting

Mar 12, 2017
    Bedford, NH
    http://www.fluentinferrari.com Bedford NH

15. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
  16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    So many movement to FL, even businesses. No wonder, with better weather, lots of Fcars, and possibly more friendly to businesses.

Factory warranty certainly doesn't make sense if things like that are not covered. If there are good indys around, skipping the factory warranty will be a no-brainer. Even without indys nearby, you might still come out way ahead by having car transported to the indy. The closest 2 good indys from me are around 480 miles away, But if I were in your situation with the car still fully driveable, I'd most likely drive home, get some quotes from those 2 indys, and if looking good, have the car transported to them.

timjen88 likes this.
  17. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Warranty is tricky, a lot of people do not have FF training yet, warranty is $6k a year, full powertrain, had tranny sensor failure last year, they covered the full rebuild ($20k+ job) so it’s a wash I think... that said, I have never gone to dealers unless I really had to

18. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Just fyi I took the car back as is, pressure tested coolant circuit, only leak appeared through a $50 hose, pump and radiator seem to be solid... just saying...

19. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    So all is good now without needing the $20K repair?

20. cwazyeurodrivr

cwazyeurodrivr Karting

Mar 12, 2017
    Bedford, NH
    No, they are in Bedford, NH

21. cwazyeurodrivr

cwazyeurodrivr Karting

Mar 12, 2017
    Bedford, NH
    I'm wrong, I called ... They are in process of packing up and finishing jobs to move... UGH ! Now I either have to do work myself, or call Miller Motors for them to come and get the vehicles for service as I did when I first got the cars. Boch will only see my vehicles for emergencies , Their customer service SUCKS

22. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    If you have several cars it pays too emnploy someone to take care of them x numbers a year, only issue is tooling - I did this is Cali works well, bought him some tools too

23. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Sorry for bad spelling / grammar - on the go

24. micah coley

micah coley Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    micah coley
    The timing cover leak is usually just the tensioner leaking. Can be done in car with just removing the front radiator brace, so do the belt, tensioner, pulleys, coolant, and upper coolant pipe seal at the same time.

Water and oil pump can also be done in the car. Here's what it looks like

ANOpax and vraa like this.
  25. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Absolutely fantastic video! Is that your channel?