ESPN/Sky vs. NBCSN poll | FerrariChat

ESPN/Sky vs. NBCSN poll

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Dec 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Did you prefer ESPN/SKY to NBCSN F1 coverage in 2018

Poll closed Jan 9, 2019.
  1. I prefer NBCSN because I liked Hobbs, Matchett and Diffey

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. I prefer ESPN/SKY because it was commercial free

40 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. I prefer ESPN/SKY because the announcers are more knowledable

18 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. I prefer ESPN/SKY and I now use Mother's products because they allow commercial free broadcasts

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. Paul DeResta is a marble mouth

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  6. What happened to Natalie Pinkham?

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. It was time for Hobbs and Matchett to retire.

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  8. Other

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    USA TV viewers, what are your opinions of the 2018 broadcasts on ESPN/SKY vs. NBCSN in previous years?

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The team at SKY is really knowledgeable, especially analysis by The Ant and Paul di Resta(when I can understand him). I always enjoyed Hobbo and Matchett(not Diffey) but their act got a bit stale. Time to move on.

3. COBrien

COBrien Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Not a fan of the SKY broadcast team. Ant and Paul DiResta add some value, but Croft and Brundle (and the broadcast in general) is the LH show. Understandable given that it's a UK team and LH is the hometown favorite, but annoying when you're looking for unbiased coverage of all the teams. And Croft is a bit over the top with his coverage. I liked Hobbs and Matchett, Diffy was ok. Would much prefer to have them on the coverage, possibly aided by someone Ant/DiResta like in the pits.

daytona355 and Greg34 like this.
  4. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    The Sky/ESPN commercial free coverage (Thanks Mothers!) is far superior- and I liked Hobo and Matchett. Yes the LH fan club vibe is a little hard to stomach at times but that is up to another team to shut that up. If I could add just one thing to the coverage it would be a more mechanical point of view like Matchett's.

Sharknose likes this.
  5. COBrien

COBrien Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago
    I agree the ESPN commercial free coverage is great, far better than missing 25% of the race on NBCSN. I'm curious if that will continue this year, or if it was just a stop-gap from ESPN last year because so many people were complaining about their coverage the first race. And I agree a more technical/mechanical commentator would be a nice addition. I don't think the LH show will stop even if LH is losing. The Sky broadcast is the UK broadcast, they're always going to be on the side of any driver from the UK and/or team from the UK. It's the same with any other sport in any other country or city, and you can't really fault that. The Italian broadcast team favors Ferrari. I'm sure the Dutch broadcast team is all about Verstappen. If there was a US-based F1 broadcast team and a US driver, I'm sure the same thing would happen. At this point I'd much prefer a non-biased broadcast group, even at the expense of some commercials.

6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    SKY is 100% better across the board. No commercials, announcers who are actually at the race, and giving multiple stories and points of view. No one is perfect and Brundle is not the guy for the pit walk...it is just not his thing. But he has more F1 seat time in a car than all the other announcers combined and so when he discusses the track he really knows what he is talking about. This is all so much better than NBCSN. It's been along time but only the old original SpeedVision was as good as SKY...at least in my memories. And yes I'd pay to have SKY's commercial free coverage.

375+ likes this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    ESPN/SKY because of the knowledge (PdR) and commercial free when compared to NBCSN or SpeedVision.

The only gripe I have with ESPN/SKY is like either a practice or 2 or qualifying are "locked" or like the last 2 GP's practices and qualifying were also "locked."

"Locked" meaning you had to have ESPNHUD or some other form of ESPN.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  8. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    After the first race I liked sky well enough. I think I watched more races this year than I have in a while but not due to the broadcast, it was more about the racing. There were some good ones this year. Kept me coming back but really had nothing to do with the announcers etc.

9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I like the lack of commercials. It was really nice.

However, the broadcast team all have stale personalities and I could never really understand them clearly.

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    SKY/ESPN a 1000% improvement.

Though, with NBCS as the benchmark, it really wasn't difficult to do.

BHW

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I love Hobbs, met him several times and I admire Matchett, met him as well and read both of his phantastic books. So clearly I'm a fan of them. In addition NBC got rid of Varsha a while ago, which helped things greatly.

That said the Sky team is simply more knowledgeable. I'm stunned by Brundle's insightful comments and I like Gordon Ramsay as his co-commentator (I know it's not Gordon, but he sounds just like him). And you can't beat commercial free anyway.

timjen88 likes this.
  12. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    This year 2018 ESPN vs last year 2017 NBC

I watched the entire 18 season on ESPN. com. Practice 1 2 3, qualifying, race.
    NBC did not broadcast all seasons.
    On ESPN.com the pre/ post race shows are not shown as far as I can tell and that
    if not a deal breaker to my vote.

My vote ESPN is better.
    (Commercial free is even better)

13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Right. That's why I said in post #1 "USA TV viewers, what are your opinions of the 2018 broadcasts on ESPN/SKY vs. NBCSN in previous years?"

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I have to admit to growing tired of NBCS F1 coverage a few years ago. Leigh Diffey
    was the real reason. The worst, the absolute worst! I'd rather listen to fingernails on
    a chalkboard than Diffey's nonsensical ramblings.

I actively searched out an alternative and found SKY's live streaming broadcast on the
    Internet and never looked back.

Now, with SKY broadcasting on ESPN, no need to go on an Internet search for the races
    again. It's awesome. Hopefully, this reflected in the form of improved ratings in the U.S.
    for F-1 this year.

BHW

15. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I like Sky's coverage better as a whole, they are actually at the race and no commercials for us. Jenson Button should do the pit walk next year....

timjen88 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  16. Alexweav79

Alexweav79 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Owensville, MO
    Full Name:
    Alex Weaver
    While I liked Matchett and Hobbs, they got a bit tiring. Croft and Brundell can be annoying with their LH love affair, but it's something I can live with, because as a whole, the broadcast crew if much more knowledgeable and they are at the race. Their post race is phenomenal. And Mothers sponsoring the race for no commercials is icing on the cake.

timjen88 and 375+ like this.
  17. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Interesting. I don't see the so-called Hamilton bias you and others have mentioned.

Also, I don't watch the post-race. The minute I see the finishing order I turn off the TV. If I've watched the race intently, which I do, I don't see what a post-mortem adds.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The British motorsport media are inherently biased towards their home drivers. Of course, like
    politicians, they have to play to their base that are paying the bills. So, British broadcasters will have
    an emphasis on Hamilton just as German broadcasters will have an emphasis on Vettel, etc.

The British have raised it to an art form though. Remembering back to 2000 when Audi Sport came
    to the ALMS and the in-team jockeying for media attention was high. At the Texas ALMS round, Biela
    and Pirro won overall with McNish and Capello in second. But the headline in the very British Autosport
    magazine in giant black font across the top of two pages read, "McNish Finishes Second at Texas!".

I'd be hard pressed to remember a time when the headline read who finished second and completely
    ignored the winning team. I may relate this did not go down well within the Audi Sport team but
    it illustrates how nationalism comes into play in racing. And, since the British invented motorsport
    media (a-hem), they've got a corner on the market.

But, in the end, it all comes down to who's looking at the advertising.

BHW

05011994 likes this.
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so Will Buxton is just F1's in-house team now, no TV time?

20. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Any news yet about 2019? Is ESPN committed for coverage next season with Sky?

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    But I do. The Sky team is enamored with Hamilton, no doubt. Not that this bothers me one bit. :)

22. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    I had no big problem with the NBCSN team. I thought they were all fine. And I think the fast talking Will Buxton did a better grid walk than Martin Brundle.

The commercials made the broadcast unwatchable though, except as a taped experience. Thank you Mother's Products for 2018!

I think both the Sky and the old NBCSN teams sometime miss the evolving action because they're so geared to needing to chatter to fill air time. What's wrong with some silence (as evidenced in older broadcasts). Minimal commentary and more focus on the sounds of the in-car would be a preference for me. Throttle control, steering input, and more focus on the evolution of an overtake, which often takes several laps to set up, than the repetition of the last 5 seconds of the "event". Maybe more focus in interviews about how a driver/team set up a situation rather than just the moment.

I thought the Sky pre-race shows often stumbled. More technical insight would improve it, as well as ditching the supposedly famous non-racers on the grid.

I felt sad for Johnny Herbert and Martin Brundle with the buffoonish stunts that Sky seemed drawn to. Aside from the fact he didn't barf, MB's helicopter ride at the USGP was a distracting bore. And JH's ride with LH could have been interesting and insightful re how a top driver approaches unfamiliar conditions in an unfamiliar car, but it just turned into silly wahoo-ing. I'd really like to see Aston or Mercedes use those promos to let the drivers talk about the tracks, rather than doing outlandish burnouts and spins.

23. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I for one would like to see Buxton back and doing the grid walk. He seemed to get much better participation that MB does.

timjen88 and tifoso2728 like this.
  24. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I agree and apparently so do quite a few others. Brundle is fine as an in race commentator. But Buxton seemed to put a ton more energy into the grid walk.

I guess we can't have everything . . .

25. COBrien

COBrien Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Interesting...I thought it was just me thinking that Buxton did a better job. I didn't like him much at first, but he grew on me after awhile.

After watching the pre- and post-race Sky interviews this year, I always felt like the drivers were annoyed talking to Brundle or anyone else from Sky...as if they really didn't like them at all, but tolerated them because they had to. Whereas over the past few years the drivers seemed much happier talking to Buxton.