How to clear the Green wrench? | FerrariChat

How to clear the Green wrench?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Jul 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    How do you clear the green wrench on the left hand screen. I think it's for a service interval or something?

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It gets cleared at the dealership using a diagnostic computer when you take the car in for its annual maintenance.

3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Ok thanks

4. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I just had my yearly service. Was told by service manager that they couldn’t clear my green wrench icon this time because it can be cleared a limited number of times before Ferrari Corporate must get involved with the dealer to “open up more slots” in the ECU so they can clear it again. This will cost $500.00!! Anyone else come across this? My 458 is a 2010, so the yearly service has cleared the icon 8 times.

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That is offensive on many levels.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Yes, there is a limited number of services that can be performed on the car before the instrument cluster runs out of space. The mileage and date of service is recorded each time. The dealership no longer has the capability of reprogramming the instrument cluster without a special permission/code/programming from Ferrari corporate. The technician will have to connect the DEIS diagnostic computer to the car, then call up Ferrari tech help, hope one of the two or three people is available to help him (give him the code and special programming to reset the instrument cluster). A real pain in the a** that was not well thought out.

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I will ask at the next (free) service how that can be done in March ...

8. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I am told that there are 8 “service slots” in the ECU. With the 458’s coming up on 8 years old, like mine, I can imagine all the service managers saying to their customers:
    “ Yes, Mr. Jones, your yearly service is complete. That comes to $1,500.00.......and...uhhh....we can’t reset your service light without another $500.00! ...gulp...

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Right , and we are supposed to say thank you too. Geez.

10. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    I believe they need to be shipped to Italy but could be wrong .. and yes there is a charge -- Ferrari charges the dealer which in turn gets charged to the client

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This thread is about a year old, and there should be more people coming up on the 8 year mark. Did anyone go through, or have to pay for the process of having to pay $500 for the dealer to “clear up more spots” on the computer?
    I’m just curious because I do my own work, and have a tool to clear the light, but according to this, I only have “2 spots” left, and I want to know if I have to bring it to the dealer after that, so it can reset for 8 more.

12. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto

Attached Files:

13. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Update:

I have a 2010 458. I do my own oil changes which saves me around $800 from my local Ferrari dealer’s annual service bill. I still take it to the dealer to get the rest of the annual service done so they can “stamp” my service manual.
    (Look up my 458 oil change procedure. No need to remove the under tray panels anymore! - Piece of cake). Also, the dealer has reset my “wrench icon” eight times (each year I have brought it in for service) at no additional charge. Now....., when I took it in for its 9th yearly service, they told me that the 458’s ECU can only accept 8 “wrench” icon resets before they have to contact Italy and have it done remotely with special equipment and codes that only Italy has! It will cost me $500.00 or so to have this done! Needless to say I was pretty upset! I went up the chain of command, but to no avail. So, I got to stare at the wrench icon for awhile......until, I decided to hook up my $150 OBDII reader and see if just by chance it would clear it, and.....it did!!! No more wrench icon. And when you go to to “Service date/mile” screen on the left side of the dash, it just has - - next to the date and miles. I have no idea how to input a new date and/or miles, but I don’t want to!

Next time I go to the dealer, there will be a HUGE note on the dash reading, “DO NOT INPUT ANY DATE OR MILES IN THE SERVICE INDICATOR”!!!
    [​IMG]

14. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    AZLAMBO you stated that you can do an oil change without removing the bottom tray (my guess is that you suck the oil out). All of the youtube videos show removing the tray as well as the DIY section here. Can you post the link on changing the oil - the easy way? Thanks.

15. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    The green wrench appeared on my 488 because one year has lapsed since it was last serviced. One temporary way to clear the green wrench (if triggered by time and not mileage) is to change the date/year in the settings menu. Just move the date backwards and the green wrench will disappear.

DefunctNeurons, Tarek307 and Need4Spd like this.
  16. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    What scan tool do you use? I want to try that on my 488 Spider.

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    And what command did you use? Clear all codes?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

18. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    can you do this at any time? Ie, green wrench pops up a year after service, change the date one year back, voila no wrench for a year?

19. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I moved back the year from 2019 to 2018 last week and so far the wrench hasn't re-appeared.

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I love FChat!
    I saw this thread title for a while, and thought to myself can this thread still be going over such a simple question...so I clicked and read...now I am shocked at the lunacy of Ferrari and armed with valuable knowledge at the same time!
    Thanks!

Dorin Candea likes this.
  21. justsomeguy458

Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2023
    Florida, US
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did you have any issues changing the year? I tried this on my 2010 458 and when I change the date, click ok, then click down to go back, it resets the year to 2023. I ended up changing it cause I was scrolling through the settings and noticed the date was "wrong." Apparently the previous owner (or dealer) changed it to clear the dreaded green wrench.