Replaced F430 O2 Sensors - big difference! | FerrariChat

Replaced F430 O2 Sensors - big difference!

Discussion in '360/430' started by TheCook, Dec 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I replaced my pre-cat O2 sensors today and took the car out for an Italian tune up to clean up the cats after running a bit rich on the old sensors. Car felt like it had found another 50hp! Genuinely astounded me when I floored it down my favourite stretch of country road. Granted I've taken 100kg out the car and had a DMS map that took it up to 525bhp, but the rears were lighting up constantly. First time I have properly s**t myself in this car for a while :)

Thought I'd post in case others feel their car is down on power a tad. Tell-tell sign is even just the slightest of sooty deposit in the tailpipe - they should run absolutely clean. Could be other causes of course (restricted intake, dodgy MAF, cracked manifold!!, failed ECU, etc) but with new O2 sensors costing just £50 online and fitting really straightforward it's worth investigating. Pre-cat sensors measure A/F ratio, post-cat sensors measure cat efficiency by comparing readings with the pre-cat (my understanding at least). Seems that these can start failing anytime and it's seldom a catastrophic failure, more often a slow degradation in sensitivity leading to the pre-cat sensor sending lean readings to the ECU and thus causing over-fuelling. Mine was worse on one bank.

Still loving this car and no plans to rest it for the winter - although cheeky front ARB bushings refresh scheduled for the weekend hence back on the ramp.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. unkle_uber

unkle_uber Rookie

Aug 4, 2013
    can you tell us the website which you got the O2 sensors ? u bought two am I right ? one for the left header, and the other is the right header?

3. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I bought from https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk. Left and right are the same part.
    Edit: 360 and 430 are the same part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  4. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
  5. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    The F430 doesn't require pre cats, most of the developed world knows this , just replace OEM headers with aftermarket with no precats and you will gain performance and sound

6. unkle_uber

unkle_uber Rookie

Aug 4, 2013
    Am I right that we have 4 O2 sensors ?

2 for pre-cats and 2 for post cats?

One part number for the Pre-cat , and another part number for the post cat ?

7. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    yes

8. unkle_uber

unkle_uber Rookie

Aug 4, 2013
    a Quick question on banks and O2 sensors when it comes to error codes:

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (BANK 1)
    P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (BANK 2)
    P2198 - O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich BANK 2 (SENSOR 1)

May I know, where is the system referring to for BANK 1 and BANK 2 ? And Sensor 1 and Sensor 2 ?

Bank 1 refers to the RIGHT side of the engine and Bank 2 refers to the LEFT side of the engine ?
    Sensor 1 refers to the PRECAT 02 Sensor (at the headers) and Sensor 2 refers to the POSTCAT 02 Sensor ?

I have an aftermarket high flow cat I know, but shouldnt this only trigger Sensor 2 and not 1, since Sensor 1 means PRECAT (at the headers) ?

9. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Precat means before the primary cat and doesn’t refer to the precats in the headers. I know - a bit confusing. Sensor 1, the precat sensor, measures the air/fuel ratio coming out the header and before the main cats. It’s readings determine any adjustments made by the ecu to the fuel mix.

The postcat sensor means after the main cat. It’s readings are compared to the precat readings to see how well the main cat is working.

I would start by replacing the precat sensors (sensor 1) on both banks They are easier to replace and you should do them together. They are also the ones that typically fail first, and incorrect readings from them can cause the comparison with the reading from sensor 2 to be outside the threshold.

The sensor 2s are most likely fine although while you are there no harm in unscrewing them and cleaning with vinegar and a toothbrush.

10. unkle_uber

unkle_uber Rookie

Aug 4, 2013
    So am I right to say....

Sensor 1 = Precat sensor = The one right after the header
    Sensor 2 = Postcat sensor = The one right after the main cat before going into the mufflers

Looking at the image below, Sensor 1 = Green and Sensor 2 = Blue.... correct ?

Now what about Bank 1 and 2 ? Bank 1 is left or right side of the engine ? Assuming you are looking at the engine, standing behind the car.

11. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Yup, your sensor labelling is correct. Sensor 1 is green, sensor 2 is blue.

Traditionally you address the banks looking from the front as this is the more common way to look at the engine and the way we read left to right across a page - so bank one on the left and bank two on the right. With a mid-engine car you look at the engine from the rear so bank one is on your right and bank two is on your left.

Here is a diagram with ignition order - kindly done by Stef.

Ignition order:

1. Cylinders 1 – 8
    2. Cylinders 3 – 6
    3. Cylinders 4 – 5
    4. Cylinders 2 – 7

Ignition coils reference : BOSCH single ZS-K-1X1E
    Spark plugs : NGK PMR8B

12. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hmm. I get where you are coming from but removing precats from the headers doesn't remove the requirement for functioning precat sensors (actually can introduce a whole world of CEL pain). Also removing them can take the noise level over the 105db threshold in place at most tracks in the UK so eliminates any possibility of tracking the car.

13. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Like the stripe! How many miles or km’s on your car when you changed the sensors?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

i think its a great idea. nothing wrong with alittle pre maintainence

15. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    About 26,000 miles. A lot of that on track so maybe higher temps than normal...?

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I've said this many times before about O2 sensors, they should be considered a service item. On Bosch ME7 they are used to adapt the fuel mixture constantly so if they are poor you won't get optimum power...

TheCook and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  17. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sounds like a good idea, especially since I’m going to swap out manifolds I might as well install new pre-cat O2 sensors.

Anyone have suggestions on the best place to buy them for a US consumer? Ricambi price on these is quite high ($240 each).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Assuming you have the Bosch part number, you can search Amazon and Ebay. One warning, read the listings carefully to ensure you are getting factory Bosch product, also check feedback. By doing so, I have gotten some screaming deals on factory Bosch parts on both sites. Most of the time, the parts are drop shipped from a local warehouse that supplies all the independent car shops in my area, so it is a legit source.