‘‘Tis the season for rodents | Page 2 | FerrariChat

‘‘Tis the season for rodents

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Dec 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’ve had mouse traps all over the garage, but they aren’t biting. I see droppings on the tops of the car covers as a sign. With the cold temps, I should be able to report back in these soon.

2. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    If you store the car over the winter with no use, you could get a frameless bubble that would work in any space. I'm afraid any of the quick fixes just do not work and give one false hope! The bubble works with true confidence.
    Just talking out of experience.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Not sure how much difference there are between brands but when I bought my house a few years back there were a few of these plugged into one of the garages.

Should have known then there was a problem!

Anyway, one night I was working out there and after shutting everything down, just as I was going to walk out I heard "scratch scratch" from inside the wall. (insulated and covered in thin wood paneling)

That's not good.

So I pulled a panel off the wall and an entire mouse family was living in there no more than a couple feet away from a "mouse blocker".

So again, maybe a difference between brands but the ones I had did not seem to work.

The actual problem here was they used a 2.5" hole saw to put a 3/4" electrical conduit in the garage so mice could just stroll right in.

Filled the void with steel wool and expanding foam and have not had a problem since.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Apparently the Ultrasonic devices won't penetrate walls. So for me, I'd need battery devices or I would need an electrician to run power in my attic. I read so many reviews on these things and honestly they seem like snake oil.

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Some months back I saw a few mouse droppings in my garage. I set some traditional traps with peanut butter. I caught a couple of the little mice but some were so smart they could clean off the peanut butter and not release the trap. I really didn’t want to kill them. I just wanted to catch and release them in the field nearby. I then bought some sticky traps on small trays and added some cheese in the middle. These really worked. I put about 12 along the walls of our two car garage. Once you catch them, with gloves on, you scoop it up with a dust pan. Carry the little guy way away from your house. With vegetable oil in a sprayer, you spray where it’s stuck and help it release with a stick. They’re off and away.

Every time, I really cleaned the garage to see if there’s any new droppings. I also sealed the door really well. So far, they haven’t returned!

davidoloan likes this.
  6. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    OMG why are we still talking about loser solutions!! The only way to win here is to get an enclosure period!!!! Nothing, Nothing else works!!! PERIOD!!!

7. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Thats a loser solution. Hiding your whole car from a tiny mouse. Nothing works better than a cat !

8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    We left our mountain home in NC for FL home last January. When we returned in June mice had set up a home in the trunk of my 599. My girl and I left them all their needs to make it happen. A roll of paper towels in the trunk and a bag of dog food at the other end of the garage. When I opened the trunk there was a perfect pile of dog food and a beautiful Bounty-built home. A Ritz for mice over the cold months.....lol...... Leaving the trunk cracked for the trickle charger was enough.

I agree......the inflatable bubble is probably the best solution other than having a cat. But no animals for me. The bears, raccoons, squirrels and even elk are entertaining enough.

9. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    I don't understand this website; I have commented numerous times the Holy Grail of rodent control in one's garage! It's a bubble enclosure stupid!!! Why risk any damage to your vehicle on a maybe it works, peppermint cotton balls, or tail chasing cats. At best these approaches work some of the time. The enclosure works all of the time without fail 24/7/365. There won't be surprises when one returns from a long winter! Some people you can lead to water, but they have to be willing to drink!! Over and out.

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    On a brighter note, I checked under my 328 trunk covers yesterday. No mice.
    Also none of the usual droppings on top of the covers. It’s been cold and rainy for the past four days, perfect mice weather.

So far so good on the electronic solution.

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    We got it

Dave rocks likes this.
  12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    A quick update. It’s been almost a month and a believe I’m having success with the electronic product listed above.
    It’s been cold, and rainy and I was even out of town for a week, so quiet in the garage. Unless you can hear ultra sonic waves ;)
    There is no poop on the car covers (a normal occurrence) or any sign of rodents. I haven’t done a cavity check of the cars, but I think it’s working.