Remove Instrument Cluster to install new guages | FerrariChat

Remove Instrument Cluster to install new guages

Discussion in '360/430' started by hazmatgreg, May 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hazmatgreg

hazmatgreg Rookie

Nov 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    #1 hazmatgreg, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    Hello all,

I just purchased a new Ferrari 360 Modena Challenge-Style Tach Face (Yellow) to install in my instrument cluster from 'ferrari accessories dot com'

Could anyone give me guidance as to how to remove the cluster to install this unit (the steering column seems to be in the way)...

has anyone else ever purchased and installed this part?

2. hazmatgreg

hazmatgreg Rookie

Nov 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    #2 hazmatgreg, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Happy to help ...... see this thread.....

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176480&highlight=yellow+tach

Also, check out the search function near the top right corner of your screen. You'd have a hard job doing anything on your car that hasn't already been done before and documented too!

Good luck!

4. hazmatgreg

hazmatgreg Rookie

Nov 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you for the link...and the great advise!

5. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You're very welcome. Be sure to thank the people on that thread for making it such an easy job for you to follow.

Note post #4 above also, user seeking a web link to follow your recent purchase.

Good luck with your install, it's an easy enough job to do (with all the help in that thread) just go carefully and delicately and all should be well.

6. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Please take pics of your installation and of course the finished product. Day and night shots pls. Good luck.

7. hazmatgreg

hazmatgreg Rookie

Nov 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you all!

The unit I bought was from 'ferrari accessories dot com'
    (sorry, the forum won't let me post the actual link)

It was expensive $500...but still cheaper than buying new OEM guages!

8. Hemming

Hemming Rookie

Dec 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    peter hemming
    Hi mate

Hopefully your still on this,

I can’t seem to wiggle the instrument dash out of my 360 manual, it hits the two metal bars that stick out and I’m not sure to over come this ..

You can see in the photo with the screwholes

Could you assist please ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

9. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Inside the dash left hand side, midway along the column assembly is a small square metallic bar a couple of inches running front-to-back direction with the car, with 2 x 8mm (from memory) bolts. This bar forms the stop for the steeering height adjuster. Undo the front bolt all the way and loosen the rear. DO NOT completely remove both as it's a awkward piece to reposition. The bar can then be dropped which allows the steering wheel to drop further down. The gauges then rotate out easily.

Hypek9 likes this.
  10. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    About that bar. My steering column would not drop enough until I removed both bolts but was able to get it back on without much trouble. As I recall, I took the seat out to lay on my back to get under the dash. Used an inexpensive plain yellow face but added a metal Cavallino that is the same exact size and shape as the black one on the OEM tach. Used the same tutorial as noted above. To get the needle to align perfectly on the 0 when replacing it, reconnect the power plug before reinstalling the gauge panel and turn on the ignition to reset the spindle to 0. Then put the needle back on in the correct position.

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Thanks for all the details. I have to do this to get my cluster carbon dipped over the winter.

Fwiw, my car came with a yellow tach on it.
    It could just be my tinge of colour blindness, but when lit at night, it looks more green than yellow to me. Looks good during the day though.

12. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    If it's a ricambi/hill engineering yellow tach face, yes it is slightly more "green" when the backlight is on due to slightly different light filter colours. Mine is the same, but it doesn't worry me.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Just did this to replace a stepper motor in one of my gauges. That bolt is super awkward, too long and too tight, but it's doable. When you go to put it back in, get a helper to align the wheel or else you will have to hold it up while trying to thread it.

14. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone found a source for the 360 gauge cluster stepper motors? My speedometer is stuck on 180 and won’t move anymore. Don’t ask how it got there!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I ended up finding an incredible deal on a complete gauge cluster that I tore apart. I went back and forth with NMBTC, but they told me that the motors are proprietary. @eric355 may still have some left to sell or https://www.autotronics.co.uk/ sells them, they were pretty pricey though.

Qavion and Aeron Fout like this.
  16. modificator

modificator Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    One thing to add is that the cluster does not need to be disconnected before removal. Just rotate the cluster to the RIGHT and it comes out nicely. After that the cluster can be turned backwards and the connectors in the back can be disconnected.

Do not try to pull out the cluster straight over the steering wheel or by rotating to the left.

I'm 360 Canuck and Qavion like this.
  17. modificator

modificator Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George