HVAC flap motor and hiden fuse | FerrariChat

HVAC flap motor and hiden fuse

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Dec 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 Ferrarium, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Just a reminder for 348's to check these 2 things, super easy to remedy, quite cheap as a preventive measure. May as well replace an flap motor while you can, who knows 5 years from now if they will be available.

My HVAC flap door was not rotating up but you could hear the motor. I assumed it was the boss so I ordered a new brass boss and new motor for good measure. I swapped them both out. Turns out the boss was fine so I looked deeper and the yellow plastic gear was brittle and stripped teeth shown with red lines pointing to the damaged teeth. You could flake off teeth with your nail actually. When rotating into the pinion it would catch and jam.The gears still has lube in it it was like a thin Vaseline. I assume everyones motor will have this issue eventually.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

While in there I checked the hidden fuse and the 30 amp AC holder looked good. I pulled the fuse and noticed it started heating and melting. So I swapped it with a 30 amp Bullet type from Phoenix Gold.

The car handles, well not very good its lazy and is slow to respond almost like it has variable random alignment changes. Turns out my inner steering bushing is damaged you can push pull the wheel and see the tie rod at the inner buckling. The toe clearly changes as you drive and turn. Given the bushings ball joints are all old may as well do the whole thing and pack the front bearings and do sway bar mounts. All new nuts and bolts. Fingers crossed on control arm bushes since there is zero chance I'll heat the arms and anneal the metal.

I will be machining new inner rack bushing from Oilon, I'll make 12 and hand then out here to those that need them for free. Wade if you need one pm me. I had a Ferrari shop send me one they made from Delrin to save tine, it was well not very good so I designed some new ones with air passages in CAD.

The I have a few other things, all preventative, the motor runs amazing and fires right up cold or hot some check vales, fpr, solid copper hi temp battery cables, solid copper terminal lugs, new fuel hoses etc I'll rebuild the fuel pump last. Got 2 new IAC coming too.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Fun times ahead! Especially interested in your suspension/steering rack rebuild. And great idea about replacing the flap motor while the part is still available and relatively cheap.

Thanks for the offer on the inner rack bushing, 2 needed? I'll take them.