Best 458 exhaust without hurting cruise noise.... | FerrariChat

Best 458 exhaust without hurting cruise noise....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sharon amos, Dec 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sharon amos

sharon amos Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    sharon amos
    Hi guys
    So I want to get a louder sound on my 458 when I get on the throttle - maybe an formula style sound but, and that’s where it gets tricky, I can’t have any drone or louder than normal oem exhaust when causing.

Anyone have something like this or heard something like this ?

Thanks again

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Tons of threads on this
    Get s line if you want highest f1 pitch but no valves so low revs you will lose a lot of torque due to lack of back pressure
    Get Novitec if you want second higher f1 pitch with calves. Get their iconel version for higher pitch still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. sharon amos

sharon amos Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    sharon amos
    But these 2 don’t make any drone or loud noise on a regular cruise drive ?

4. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    I think the only way to get louder than your stock sound is to go 100-200 cel(high flow) cats. I don't think you can go louder by just changing the exhaust and keeping your stock cats. ...heres why, with the stock exhaust valves open you're bypassing the muffler and the exhaust flow is going all piping(same with aftermarket exhaust). Its the aftermarket cats and headers that makes your sound louder. By change your exhaust only, you only change the tone/pitch of the sound. Maybe the factory sports exhaust by Ferrari will get you a louder sound? I don't know anyone thats changed there exhaust without getting 100-200cel cats or test pipes. When I had my F430 I changed just the exhaust part and it actually got quieter but the sound changed. I also believe you can not achieve the F1 pitch with stock cats and headers....at least not as high pitch.
    Maybe get Valve control first? or I would change to high flow cats and see how you like it first .....it will be your OEM sound but louder. But If you are sick of your OEM sound then just change the exhaust system to change the sound....... the problem with IPE F1(as pictured) you HAVE TO use their cats pipes(either straight pipe or high flow) with their system, stock cats don't fit IPE F1(the exhaust pipes are bigger on the F1)...but I think their "evolution" model works with stock cats but you should ask them first. Hope this helps

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    #5 veilstylez, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    BTW I have IPE F1 with test pipes on my 458. It's loud, no droning and I love it....I can even go louder. Plus its on a spider so its even louder with the top down or back window open.

6. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    You’ll want high flow cats, a muffler, and a valve control system of some sort. That combination will address your use case the best.

IPE is probably the highest pitch. Novitec and Kline are tied for second. Lowest pitch is Capristo.

7. sharon amos

sharon amos Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    sharon amos
  8. sharon amos

sharon amos Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    sharon amos
    I’m really debating between
    FI F1
    Or
    IPE F1

And there is also coupe of good prices on

Tubi
    Or
    Akrapovic.

Anyone own any of this system and can give personal experience

9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    FI and IPE are made in Taiwan.

Tubi made in Italy.

Akrapovic made in Slovenia.

Akrapovic is known mostly for their titanium. They have their own foundry in house which is unique.

If I was given those options I would choose Akrapovic, but majority would probably choose IPE.

10. sharon amos

sharon amos Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    sharon amos
    The akrapovic one for sell here doesn’t come with the car. Will still be strong and nice?

Also what type of tone is it. F1 style.

11. twcferrari

twcferrari Rookie

Feb 22, 2005
    California
    I'll send you a PM in a bit regarding my 458 exhaust and what I did.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #12 Caeruleus11, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    I agree. I would get 200 cell cats, and perhaps software that avoids the CEL and keep the rest stock. Maybe do headers as well. I have 100 cell, headers, software, but stock airbox, and when the flaps are closed it is close to stock when cruising in sport mode. Its still a little louder but its not crazy. I bet 200 cell will get you what you are looking for. Race mode is programmed to be always open or if I really accelerate, the exhaust opens up and the sound is incredible. Its also LOUD.

13. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal

fi exhaust has no high pitch at all.....completely different sound than IPE or Novitec. I heard 2 458's with fi, test pipes, and ipe headers...just sounds really loud like a race car, but no high pitch to it. The down shifts sounds amazing and the car does sounds good but no high pitch.
    I also heard Kline with test pipes and ipe headers....this set up is loud too and has a high pitch sound, I was surprised by it and really liked it.
    I think the highest pitch right now is Sline with test pipes and headers...VERY high pitch but they sound a little dirtier than Novitec or IPE but its insanely loud and has no valves.

haven't heard tubi or akrapovic.

14. sharon amos

sharon amos Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    sharon amos
    Thanks I’ll be waiting

15. Suborbital

Suborbital Karting

Apr 25, 2018
    Fallbrook, Ca
    Ferrari OEM sports exhaust is just a bit louder than stock and sounds great without being obnoxious and without the drone. It’s loud enough that other 458 owners have noticed the difference and asked me what exhaust I have. Your dealership can order it for you.

16. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Just found this video. This is the sound of just an IPE Evolution muffler, with stock cats. You can see the difference is an increase in pitch, but only a little increase in sound. The IPE racing muffler will be slightly higher pitch.

You'll definitely want a cat replacement of some sort. 200 CEL is generally the best compromise (Check engine light unlikely, maybe once or twice a year) and likely fits your loudness needs.

17. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    #17 Fabspeed Motorsport, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    I agree with this as well. High flow cats (200 cel) or no cats is the best way to get the most out of these F458s. See below!

Headers and sport cats create an amazing experience!

18. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    More than the rear exhaust sport cats create more of the sound. When the valves open on the 458 the rear stock exhaust is free flowing and you can keep the back pressure.

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  20. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I
    I agree with this!
    I have the capristo, and it's the best of both worlds. It sounds aggressive and fun when you are in the mood to play, then on the highway, you close the valves and enjoy the lack of drone.
    It gives the car a Jekyll and Hyde personality. It's a great solution, and very cheap!

Need4Spd likes this.
  21. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    It’s simple

Loudest volume = bypass cats / straight pipe
    Increase volume = 100 / 200 cell cats. CEL unless tuned
    Loudest setting all the time = valveless exhaust or flaps off setting
    Changing tone:
    Highest pitch: Kline
    Higher pitch: IPE/Novitec
    Lower pitch: Capristo/Akrapovic
    Generally exhausts mod also marginally louder than stock and marginally higher hp (even less torque)
    Stainless steel: cheapest
    Titanium: expensive, lighter, louder
    Inconel: lighter and loudest
    Higher HP/Torque
    Headers, may change pitch at certain rpm due to higher flow; faster revs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk