F430 Engine Immobilizer Problem | FerrariChat

F430 Engine Immobilizer Problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by johnfe, Dec 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    Hello Fellow Ferrari Owners:

This morning I got up early to drive my 2009 F430 GT (Gated Transmission) vehicle down to the local "Cars and Coffee" here in SoCal. Since the service light was showing I needed air in the tires; I first drove to the local service station to top of the tires with the correct air pressure.

After doing so I got back into my car but it wouldn't start as I noticed a symbol of the Engine with a "padlock" superimposed over it. The symbol was indicating the "Engine Immobilizer" was not recognizing the proper code needed to allow the engine to start. Additionally the check engine light was showing as well.

So the first thing i did was to try a second spare key, but still no go. I next read in the operator's manual that I needed to follow the manual start procedure by entering the appropriate code from the code card into the system starting with the first number on the code card by stopping the blinking symbol when the flashing symbol matched the number shown on the card. And then do the same for the following four numbers and the car should start, noting that this is the only way the car will start "manually" until a reprogramming has occurred.

To initiate this process you must put the key in the vehicle's ignition switch and turn it to the #2 position and then hold down the gas pedal for 8 seconds at which time the symbols on the dash should extinguish and then by releasing the pedal the symbols should blink a number of times and to stop the blinking when that number of blink matches the first digit on the code card.

The only problem was the symbols never extinguished preventing me from even starting the vehicle manually. I therefore had to call a flatbed tow truck and have the car hauled to the local Dealer.

Has anyone else had this problem? What triggered it, and how was it finally resolved?

All responses most welcome.

Thank You,

johnfe

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    First inclination is the battery. How old is it? Low batteries cause all sorts of issues.

My buddy just got his 430 back from the dealer today after his immobilized failed. They had to replace it and all is well now. Incidentally the dealer said that they had seen a similar failure by a another 430 owner using a red top battery as my buddy had in his car.

Anyway, battery strength would be the first thing I’d check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    Bob in Texas:

Hello Bob,

First of all thanks for your response, much appreciated. When the car was delivered to me from Ferrari of Salt Lake City, about 2 years ago I noticed that they had installed a new Optima Red Top 34R battery in the vehicle. But after reading about the Ferrari battery tender, where they stated it really wasn't made for acid gel type batteries one of the first things I did was to buy a brand new Exide L5/49X Acid Flooded Battery from Home Depot, which incidentally has the best prices on car batteries ($119.00), and install it in my vehicle.

So the battery is only 22 months old and has always been connected to the Ferrari Battery Tender which has always faithfully kept the battery at full charge so I highly doubt whether the battery is the culprit. Note, I have attached the specification sheet for the battery I put in the car. This vehicle was basically brand new and only had 3,927 miles on it's clock when I bought it, and was in mint condition, so it really shouldn't have an engine immobilizer that's failing, as I can only imagine they are very expensive? The vehicle now has about 4,200 miles on its clock.

I'm hoping they will be able to reprogram the PATS unit from their 'Leonardo Diagnostic Tool.' Or if it's part of the ECU that they can simply reprogram that as well? Since I left it at Ferrari South Bay in Torrance, CA Service Department:

http://ferrarisouthbay.com/service/

I guess I'll find out on Monday what the problem is. I'm hoping that it won't be a real expense part that has failed on the vehicle since it's still like brand new!!

What was unusual was it wouldn't even allow me to start the vehicle with the manual procedure which I read as an ominous sign.

I would just like to know what triggered this problem in the first place as I don't want to ever have to go through this situation again.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

johnfe

Attached Files:

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a search on here as a member posted a lot of info on his immobiliser issues, like you he had to have the car lifted to the main dealer

5. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I had a similar experience after washing my vehicle and parking it:
    My good friends come over and want to see the new car and just like that it does not want to start...It cranked perfectly but did not have injector plulse...plenty of fuel pressure and spark...I corrected the issue by resetting the immob control unit under drivers kick panel....battery resets did not work...
    I agree with many these cars are sensitive to battery voltages...separate from above symptom my car would display suspension error on dash after sitting for a while with factory charger....key recycle would always reset it after starting...this was corrected with a battery replacement...my old battery would show 12.6-12.8 volts when measured with a volt meter but when tested with a high tech battery tester it would show 12.6 volts and display replace battery.
    Despite the electrical ups and downs the happiness the car gives back when driving it makes it all worth it.!
    Good luck with your challenge keep us posted.
    Happy Holidays.

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I've just "done" the F430 Immobilizer disable for the ignition ECUs... It's currently in trials and will give update later in the week...won't be long now until you can completely remove it just like what I've now perfected on the 360....

Manda racing and cpep like this.
  7. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hoping it's something simple. I spoke to my buddy and he said that to replace the immobilizer it was $1100 installed. Not to bad in Ferrari terms.

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Depends.. that figure is a starting point as if ignition ECUs need changing try X4.. soon it will be a thing of the past and we won't worry, we will just all use Swiss Army Knife :)

LorenzoR, Bob in Texas and cpep like this.
  9. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So, I had a problem a few years back. A little different than yours. Like yours, I could not get the manual process to work. I went on the site here and other than reciting what I read myself in the owners manual, no one had advice. With that said, no one, at that time, said they had a successful manual start. Would be interesting to see if someone can offer insight or indicate they have successfully used this feature. It would not shock me if we both have the feature, and it works, however the instructions in the owners manual are wrong. While this has not been a problem with the F430, I have a 328 and sometimes the translation from Italian to english is not so good. One time I had a friend who knows italian translate for me. Could that be the problem with the manual restart here? Dealer at the time seemed uncertain of how to manually restart.

Fortunately, I had a key that worked, and a key that did not work. I tried replacing the batteries to no avail. Went to the dealer. Tech connected to Leonardo. In about 5 minutes, I was on my way (no charge I should add - good customer relations). They did some type of reset and that was it. I hope yours is that simple.

GOOD LUCK! These cars can be finicky. Service department at my dealer keeps telling me mine is pristine and relatively problem free. Makes me wonder what some others are like. With that said, the juice is definitely worth the squeeze :) (I have a 2007 6MT and never plan to sell it).

One again:

- good luck
    - Anyone who has had success with the manual restart, please share your procedure/experience. Thank you.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  11. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    To: Mike32, Flyingbrick242, 360trev, Bob in Texas, and howl:

Thanks for all you comments. I've searched this forum and also *********** as well. What I've found is it's all over the board on this issue with no real definitive answers. The folks that talk about an Immobilizer issue mention a Bosch unit but it's always in reference to the F360 and not the F430 so I don't know if it's the same in the F430 model. Seems to me this should be as easy as reprogramming a EEPROM (Electrical Erasable Programmable Ram Only Memory) on the ECU. If that's the case perhaps the Dealership needs to also have my second key available as well. I also read their Leonardo must be a SD3 version in order to accomplish the reprogramming.

Fortunately, I do have a good working relationship with the local dealer as we've had cordial correspondence back and forth involving another issue on my vehicle. I'm also in agreement with howl, as I can't recall reading where anyone had any success with utilizing the "Manual Override Procedure" which I truly find most disturbing!! Because without this you can't even drive your vehicle away from where it has left you stranded! When I got the car to my Dealer, Daniel who helped me push the vehicle into their service bays laughed and said "Just be glad you have a Manual, that's the good news for you." When I asked why he stated if you had an F1 you wouldn't be able to even move the car. How sad, if he's right about this as I wouldn't know, because they would need the "Manual Override" more than anyone else would!

Before the tow truck came the guys at Hagerty Insurance assured me I would get the "White Glove Treatment" from the towing company they would provide which turned out to be true, as they had a folding FlatBed with hydraulically operated separate sections allowing them to vary the degree angle as they whenched the vehicle up onto the bed as to not damage the underbelly of the nose of the vehicle. I was impressed!! Fortunately I was there though to prevent them from attaching straps around the tie rods as I quicking got out the tow hook attachment and showed them how to screw it in to the front of the car. Dodged that bullet! LOL!!

Most importantly, I would like to know what triggered this event in the first place, and would also like a confirmation of the proper "Manual Override Procedure" by intentionally disabling the immobilizer for further proof that the "Manual Override Procedure" has been repaired as well. Without providing that assurance I would consider the repair as only being half fixed once the car's proper programming allowed it to start once again. For me, I must have assurance that if I ever encountered this problem again in the future, God forbid, I must be assured I have a "work around" that will indeed work as well; so to never leave me stranded where I can't get my vehicle back home without calling a Tow Truck!

In conclusion I agree with howl, as it's quite unusual that no one was able to make the manual override work perhaps pointing to a improperly outlined procedure in the operator's manual, probably due to a translation misunderstanding.

Thanks everyone,

johnfe

PS. I have attached several helpful documents I downloaded while searching out this issue.

Attached Files:

f355spider and WATSON like this.
  12. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    f355spider:

Item no longer available. Before buying the current battery which is only 20 months old, I bought a Schumacher Battery Load tester from Amazon to add to my tool arsenal, however I had to return it because I could not get the dial indicator to properly "zero out" before initiating the testing procedure. What you are stating might indeed be of a concern, because when I first got the car my Ferrari battery tender, it would always have the red LED indicator illuminated never changing to green as it's supposed to indicating the battery is fully charged. My concern was overcharging the battery because this can damage a battery as well. However, I did note that if I would unplug it and plug it back in it would then lite up the green LED indicating it was indeed in the fully charged mode, but after several days was back to just showing the red LED and once again if I unplugged it would then lite up the green LED.

The general consensus was it was only a LED problem in the Ferrari battery tender and it was not over charging the battery, but who really knows for sure? Indeed something that should be checked out.

Thanks,

johnfe

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The problem with the immobilizer on the 360/430, as well as the ECU's. They are Bosche components that are used in lots of Fiats, Alfas, etc. They are made like crap. Most of these cars were expected to have a short life span and the electronics would last the life of the car.

However, most Ferraris are loved and cared for and are around for decades. Using these components almost assures what is happening.

360Trev can do a much better job of explaining the details. That $1100 quote the dealer gave you for the immo (2 boxes and fobs), doesn't include your car's engine ECU's. Since the immo is bonded to the ECU's (the right side), they must be replaced as well, at a "Bend over and grab your ankles price". At the end of that exercise, you will just have new, crappy components that are failure prone.

14. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    Ingenere:

In consideration of the most depressing situation you've outlined I guess the first place one should check out would be the fuses and relay units pertaining to the immobilizer unit which may be the problem.

I thought solid state components were supposed to last a long time. If they put them in Fiats and also in Alfas as you describe, did they also anticipate a short life for those cars as well?? Just saying....

After all my vehicle is a 2009 Ferrari with only about 4.2K on it's clock which is minimal at best. Therefore the duration of time these components have been under load is very short all things considered. How could time alone be a variable factor when considering the life of solid state components? What am I missing here??

johnfe

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Not saying you need the one I listed, I am only saying you need to test your battery to determine if it is truly adequate or not. Battery tenders can bring a battery to "full charge" but if the battery has lost 40% of its capacity, then "full" is relative. An accurate load test will tell you the true state of your battery and you can proceed from there.

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Speaking of batteries, are all the batteries in your keys okay and able to arm and disarm the car okay?

17. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    f355spider:

Having already experienced letting an acid flooded battery lose it's complete charge in my 2003 Aston Martin DB7 Vantage (due to when I stored it in a storage facility due to its security system drain while my driveway was being repaired and having a new garage door installed) , I was already aware of how much damage this could cause this type of a battery, reducing its life by half every time this happens. No electrical capabilities at the storage facility for the 30 days it sat and at the time I was unaware of the battery disconnect button. So I was a savvy buyer when I purchased the one for my Ferrari, as well as the new one I put in my DB7. Both batteries were bought from Home Depot at $119.00 each and I also checked the dates on each of them when I bought them as well as checking the voltages of each before even installing them.

Therefore, I never allowed this battery to ever go perhaps below 95% of its original charge as it was always kept on a battery tender from day one. Unless the tender was bad I'm confident my battery was in excellent condition. As to the batteries in my Key Fobs about 6 months ago I replaced all the batteries in all the key fobs for every car I own. So suffice to say I don't think there was a problem with them either. I had no problem using the main one or the spareone to lock and unlock the doors multiple times. When it was dropped off at the Dealer an employee of the dealership wanted to try something and he stood outside the vehicle and armed and unarmed the vehicle in rapid succession 3 times before getting in and trying the key once again but to no avail.

However, under the current circumstances I was unable to check the 2 fuses which supply power to the engine immobilizer and was also unable to check the engine immobilizer relay as well. My guess would be that's the first place one might want to rule out perhaps even before hooking it up to an appropriate scan tool.

I thank you for your input and thoughts on this topic. It's really got me stumped and baffled because of the newest on my vehicle. I guess tomorrow I'll know more from the Dealer once they have an opportunity to review the problems with my vehicle. I've already written the Service Manager an Email outlining the conditions in which this occurred and will fire it off to him at about 7:45 AM tomorrow morning because sometimes Emails received on the weekends are often overlooked.

Thanks again,

johnfe

f355spider likes this.
  18. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    There are several fuses which are worth checking which are directly related to immobilizer functions on F430. Check fuses PDF13 and PDF14. Also check relay PDR1.

The newer F430 immobilizer is vastly better soldered than on the 360 which looks like is was done by apes but it still nethertheless has some components such as capacitors which are prone to failure and have a certain number of running hours before they eventually fail (built-in obsolescence you could call it if your feeling cynical).

These are all related to secondary immobilization.

Immobilizer (blue box) - 6 pins
    Pin 6 goes to the relay pin 87a (PDR1) -
    Pin 3 goes via fuse PDF14 to Alarm siren Pin 9 +5A
    Pin 8 goes via fuse PDF13 to Alarm siren Pin 7 +5A
    Pin 2 is to dash Comms line
    Pin 4 is ground
    Pin 5 is K-Line to obd connector

Alarm Siren - 4 pins
    Pin 13 is ground
    Pin 10 is switched ground from door opening
    Pin 7 to fuse PDF13
    Pin 9 to fuse PDF14

Fuses are behind seat (see pics)... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider and cpep like this.
  19. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sorry to hear of your problem. It cetainly is a nightmare getting stuck somewhere. Im anxious to hear of the outcome. Please post the fix

20. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    360trev:

Thanks for your information, I liked the wiring connectors. If your talking about electrolytic capacitors I know what you mean about the rating as I recently replaced some in my computer monitor where I got them from digikey. While looking at the hours ratings I saw quite a difference between cheap ones verses paying a little bit more.

skylar:

Yes I'll be sure to post the fix. So far this morning I received an Email stating the car started right up. Only to receive a second Email stating that they were getting it to act up as the problem is definitely intermittent. They noted that the tire pressure fault indicator is still staying on, which was the initial reason for driving to the service station where the immobilizer kicked in and left me stranded. I believe that the tire pressure fault indicator will only go out after the car is driven a short distance after filling with air. Can anyone else confirm this is the way it works? I also noticed this was an option so I guess not everyone will have experience with the tire pressure fault indicator.

Thanks insightful,

johnfe

21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Pin 3 goes via fuse PDF14 to Alarm siren Pin 9 +5A
    Pin 8 goes via fuse PDF13 to Alarm siren Pin 7 +5A

Forgot to mention, Pin 3 is constant 12v +, whereas Pin 8 is the ignition switched positive 12v supply.

If it's intermittent you need to ideally rule out wiring first. Would be good the next time it fails to check the power is getting to the immobilizer via these fuses and earth is good.

A good test will be to bypass immobilizer entirely which requires a reflash and pin 6 override...

22. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    360trev:

Thank you for this information and your suggestions. I have attached a PDF document which shows the schematics of the Electrical Devices which incidentally includes the, alarm, brake, airbag, suspension control, immobilizer, tire pressure control, and electronic differential systems. See if any on this is helpful to what you're working on. I also am including a PDF document showing the index of the various functional diagrams so you can see how they are grouped together. Let me know what other groups of these functional schematic diagrams may be of interest to you after reviewing the Index.

johnfe

Attached Files:

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Worth a check but maybe try either bypassing (test) or just replacing the relay next as if it's sticking it won't allow car to start... You would get this intermittent starting behavior...

Maybe clean contacts and check they are nice and tight... The relay issue is well known for F1 but of course any mechanical relay can fail...

24. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
  25. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar