What is the appeal of the worn looking leather jacket? | FerrariChat

What is the appeal of the worn looking leather jacket?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by bitzman, Dec 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Always a fan of Ralph Lauren I was bowled over when on Amazon and ebay I saw some of his latest jackets (maybe the RRL brand) priced at $950 or thereabouts and yet they looked old and worn out, maybe 30-40 years old. Some have what look like military badges, are they made up or from real units? (One I recognize, the horse but even that patch is old and faded and dirty) Some have faded stars like American cargo planes the military had in the '50s. I have a pet theory that young people who have never worked a day in their life buy this kind of jacket so it imbues them with a image of yes--been-there-worked-hard look. These are the same people who used to buy Gucci-Pucci-LVH new-new-new.

So is Ralphie trying to imitare the jackets the richer kids wore back in the Fifties when he was growing up poor in the Bronx? Or is there real demand for pre-aged looking clothes?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    It is like the fad with ripped jeans, rusted hoods on cars, and the "distressed look" wraps people put on cars. Patina bought, not earned. They think it makes them look cooler. I have a pair of jeans where the bottom is kind of shredded, but that is after 20 years of wear. My gf commented we have matching jeans, and that I was fashionable for once. I laughed.

Reacherman1022 and Texas Forever like this.
  3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
  4. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I used to wear my Dad's back in my skinnier high school days. In college I filled out more and had a Bates Leathers Bomber Jacket custom made. I chose Bates as I am not an "off the rack" sort of guy. I was also a motorcyclist and the Bates jacket was cut for that forward leaning position when you ride. Sadly I lost it flying (ironic); took it off and forgot to put it back on when departing. Unfortunately Bates no longer make this jacket. I certainly broke it in over the years but did not put any patches on it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    $950 and the thing has a two piece back? And it's imported, too, I bet.

You can buy a pretty much perfect reproduction of an A-2 (Russet brown goatskin) from Gibson and Barnes for less than $800, and so far as I know, they're made in the US. They also feature a proper, one piece back.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    If you want to replace it, I can very highly recommend www.uswings.com.

Matt

dfratini and Alpintourer like this.
  7. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    I can second Matt's recommendation...I have had my US Wings' jacket for almost 30 years. Back to them once for a full relining. They make an incredible jacket and still do it here in the US.

Smiles likes this.
  8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm pretty sure that this is the first time that someone agreed with me on FerrariChat!

:)

Matt

Texas Forever and dfratini like this.
  9. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    had to happen sooner or later

Smiles likes this.
  10. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    All these jackets are very cool. My son is a freshman in high school and that’s the style.

11. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Everyone agrees with you in your Bugatti thread. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wade and Smiles like this.
  12. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Seems I'm the only one these days who tosses out his jeans when the knees get split. I should probably sell them on ebay. :(

darth550 likes this.
  13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Fads come and go but distressed leather has always been stylish and cool.

Island Time and Mbutner like this.
  14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Funny how the priciest jeans I have are all pre ripped but I have been wearing ripped jeans for years.....what I get for being ahead of my time? LOL

If you really wanna see were "aged" gets expensive take a look at electric guitars. :eek:

Reacherman1022 and TexasF355F1 like this.
  15. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I made my first attempt at a "Ralphie" (what else can we call a Ralph Lauren-inspired jacket?) but it's a little too new looking to compete in appeal with his but I don't have the nerve to beat it with chains or whatever you do to age it. I started out with a Ferrari patch on the front but ended up putting a copy of my painting of an old Bentley on the back and the slogan "MALIBU STRONG" which is a phrase I read in the paper after the recent fire. On the next one I'll put a horizontal Ferrari logo, and my paonting of a TR250 on the back but I notice Ralph even has the cloth patches aged. And I certainly wouldn't want to "age" my painting....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I just bought another one for myself for Christmas. No cloth at the cuffs or waist. It’s awesome.!

Matt

17. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Throw it in the dryer on air tumble for an hour with lots of poker and wood chips.

18. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss

19. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am really impressed to hear some are keeping their leather jacket for 30 years. So that's part of the appeal of Ralphie's jackets--they look like they've been in the family for 30 years. Now about the skull and crossbones on the back of that one RLR jacket--I think that's too '50s (though here in SoCal the skull is part of Latino culture)
    I'm going to put some Italian phrase on the back of the second one I'm doing, where I'm putting a cloth repro of a vintage Testarossa, maybe hand paint it on. Is there a special paint for leather? As far as military insignia, the most intriguing unit to me is SR71, for the one Blackbird but one insignia I saw for them has the word HABU on it, referring to a Filipino snake, don't know if I like that. Why not my own unit (160th Ordnance)? Can't recall their insignia--hey it's only been 50 years....

20. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    I’ll vouch for the Wings jacket..very close to the real one. Somebody scored mine when one of the kids musta kinda borrowed it when I didn’t know and hustled it on back to school or somewhere. I got my real one mayba year after I got to the test center at Pax..somebody ripped it off or some other form of five finger discount,I’ll wager,maybe idk..but I gave a mate 20$.. and got my little patch on the chest,but not a squadron patch since we weren’t that mission.It was very old with ripped cuffs and back,scratched leather,torn corners,lotta patina..georgeous,I loved it. Sorry it’s gone. Real sorry..
    The wings version has the correct USN punched into the zip backing flap and the pen slot in the left pocket,lower shoulder gussets with breath holes in back and strap stitched across back. Lining isn’t quite the same bimberg I recall but worth returning for the miss.
    It’s a good clone. Cheers RE

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Prep the surface to remove any wax, conditioner or rainproofing, and then use good old One Shot paints.

Matt

22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Where you stationed at Pax River?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    WST(Weapons Systems Testing)..and we took over maintenance for the Test Pilot School planes,not long after I got there.
    But we didn’t work on their favorite planes,the Schweizers. Those guys loved their ftime in those sailers. They were beautiful planes.
    They mostly flew T-28s and T-38s. They used the T-28 to tow the Schweizers aloft. Cheers RE[/QUOTE]

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    [/QUOTE]

My earliest memories are from Pax River, maybe 1955? I still remember a pillar of smoke going up in the sky and women crying.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Hey Smiles: What field is One Shot paint used in? Is it spray or liquid. After Xmas I will go to the hobby stores and see id they have military-looking stencil forms like in the days before computers.