599 F1 Shift Problem | FerrariChat

599 F1 Shift Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TheBluesMan, Dec 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBluesMan

TheBluesMan Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Ira Boren
    I've recently bought a 2008 599 with an F1. I'm finding that often after it's been sitting a while, that it bucks hard when moving forward or reverse. Occurs most often, but not exclusively when the car is cold. It feels like popping the clutch on a manual shift. It's disconcerting, especially when parking or moving in or out of my garage. After a couple of shifts, the problem disappears. On two recent occasions pulling into my garage, it stalled. It started up immediately, but seems like a problem. I'd sure appreciate any advice. THANKS!

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Well, I'm no expert but it certainly sounds like a clutch problem. Do have someone reputable you can take it to? I would think that would be your first step.

3. TheBluesMan

TheBluesMan Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Ira Boren
    I considered that as well, but most of the time it shifts very well and no clutch slippage or smell. It’s my first F1 so I’m not sure. I haven’t seen a mechanic yet. Thanks for your reply.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Go to a good Ferrari technician and have him check out the F1 system and clutch with an SD3. Also, if the F1 system has not been serviced (new fluid, bleed, self test, leak check) in the last 3 years, that needs to be done, too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Having driven a large number of F1 Ferrari's (starting them up and moving them in and out the shop cold), I have noticed that the clutch engagement on the 599 is much more abrupt than other Ferrari's. Not to say that there isn't a problem with your car, but it just may be the nature of the beast.

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have to agree with Motob, having moved hundreds of cars in and out, 599s are the worst for cold clutch engagement. Very snappy and abrupt. Not saying your car does not have an issue, but they are the worst.

tbakowsky and 4re308 like this.
  7. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Sounds like Ferrari must have borrowed Aston Martin software..........!

8. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Stop increasing throttle until the clutch grabs. Depress the gas a little bit and wait for it to engage - almost as if the clutch engagement is coming to you. I find this to work for initial feathering out of the garage and driveway maneuvering. On the road it's not an issue, as you said.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 599 is a very harsh engagement when cold..really bad when the temps are approaching zero degrees celcius. Warm..they are not bad. Why this is, I have no idea, but it could be the friction material of the clutch disc. It's just a very grabby material, and it freaks out the f1 TCU so it pulls back the release bearing way to early making the car jerk.

Nature of the beast I suppose..

10. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Thais a common concern and easily rectified by a proper clutch set up. The V12 cars and particularly the 599 F1 has a rather abrupt clutch engagement cold. When the factory does the initial clutch calibration it is with all new components that are not bedded in properly. Once the car has been driven the clutch components bed in and bite better. Now the cold and parking lot maneuvers it bites to hard. A good Ferrari tech with the proper tooling can do a manual clutch set up on the point of initial slip. Do not do the auto set or you will end up with the same problem or if the auto set fails the belville curve portion you have a real problem.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have tried to get rid of that jump many times. I have made it better, but never have I been able to completely eliminate it. If you play with it too much, you start sacrificing warm performance. With the 599 you have settle on a happy medium. They are a bit of a tricky car to service, and you have to be careful when you start moving numbers around.

12. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Owner is stating it is bad enough to stall the car. Fixed plenty of these. Not many know how to properly adjust clutches.

13. Olliecampbell

Olliecampbell Rookie

Jul 16, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ollie Campbell
    I'm not sure if this will help your situation, but worth a try.

Turn the key to the first stage, then pump the throttle 3 times and then start the car. IIRC it helps the throttle position sensor learn and reduces the initial sensitivity of the throttle.

14. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Drove another one yesterday, it was warm and very touchy throttle.
    Car was here for another issue and the owner has no complaint. Just an FYI on what I see.

15. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    One should allow a bit of warming for this issue as well as the rear traction unit. Both need a little warming. 5 minutes or so and you're off.

16. Olliecampbell

Olliecampbell Rookie

Jul 16, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ollie Campbell
    Definitely try my tip above. I think you'll find it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good to know as I am a new 599 owner as well. I haven't had any of the OP's experiences but it doesn't get too cold around my neck of the woods, maybe 30 degrees F or so.

Of note, both my Maseratis with Cambiocorsa's (Quattroporte and Gransport) are much more grabby than the 599 when cold and when backing out of the garage...

18. TheBluesMan

TheBluesMan Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Ira Boren
    Gentlemen, I really appreciate your attention and suggestions. If nothing else, it's good to know that my problem isn't unique to my car. If it gets worse, I'll see about having it reset as Windsock suggested. Thanks!

19. TheBluesMan

TheBluesMan Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Ira Boren
    I think that you're probably right. I just hate sitting there for 5 minutes. In L.A. it's rarely very cold, but the car or these cars apparently have this quirk. Thanks

20. TheBluesMan

TheBluesMan Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Ira Boren
    Thanks for your tip. I'll definitely try it.

21. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I think this is exactly right. Approach it, from a cold start, like a peddle clutch. When you feel it grab increase throttle.

22. TheBluesMan

TheBluesMan Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Ira Boren
    Actually I do just that. My garage is very tight and I feather it carefully even when warmed up putting it back into the garage. The bucking is sort of like, if you popped the clutch then quickly pushed it back in before it were to die. Thus the clunk-buck. After a couple of shifts, it’s gone.