For Sale - 5600 Mile 1999 SL500 Red/Black | FerrariChat

For Sale 5600 Mile 1999 SL500 Red/Black

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by F355 Fan 82, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #1 F355 Fan 82, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    I have a 1999 SL500 VIN:WDBFA68F0XF176037. Title is in hand in my name.I recently purchased it in september and Im putting up for sale. The reason is I originally wanted a low mile red/tan SL500 to add to my collection and I came across a 5k example but it was red/black and being impulsive I figured I wouldn't find another with miles that low and I bought it. Just this week I was able to find a red/tan SL600 like I wanted with 1200 miles and I just bought it and its being shipped to me as we speak.

This car hasn't even been driven 30 miles from when I bought it. I purchased it, had it shipped enclosed from virginia to houston to my dads garage and they checked out the car for me, everything was good and its now sitting in the garage of my house in houston. I live in Miami and had no more room for cars at my condo here so the car has been on a battery tender in the garage and under a cover for the last 3 months. The only miles its seen since I bought it was a 25 mile trip from my dads garage to my house, thats it.

The car has 1 scratch on the hardtop from the previous owner but other than that its in perfect shape. It has the original tires, they've never been changed, so I wouldn't recommend driving it on them. The battery is also 8 years old but for me the car is on a battery tender so I hadn't changed it yet. When I got it, the seller just had the oil changed and my tech looked at it and said it was fine. The top was working fine when I bought in september, I have not taken the top off since I got it bc its a 2 man job to lift it. I will be including a stand for the top as well.

This car has a mercedes cover,4 keys, 129 keys aren't made by mb anymore, I have all the books and brochures for the car as well. In terms of original car with all the books this is as good as you will find, like I said original tires 1998 date codes.

If you keep up with the market the 129 are starting to rise like 107 before it, go find a 5k mile 560SL and see that they're worth $60-80K, one ambitious guy is asking near $100k for the same color combo 560SL on autotrader. Here are a couple recent 129 Sales I've pulled up from auction houses

1. 1993 11k mile gray 500SL sold for $45k last may https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24953/lot/131/

2. 2002 13k mile silver arrow SL500 sold for $48K last march https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/2002-mercedes-benz-sl500-silver-arrow-limited-edition/

3. 1990 500SL for sale at MB Classic Center asking $75k 422 miles https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/ats_vehicle/mercedes-benz-500-sl-r129/

I'm asking $42,500 and the car is in houston,tx. If you're interested please DM me
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Looks like a stunning example! GLWS!

3. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    I can't believe you found an even lower mileage R129 SL, and a SL600 at that! Congrats.

I hope this SL500 goes to a good home, GLWS

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Honestly I do believe the 500 is a better car, the parts are less expensive for starters and the 600 isn't really even faster by much, I don't get why the price was $50k more at the time, I guess exclusivity, but at this point with both being 20 years old, if someone wanted one to drive, I think the 500 would be the better car. Nice to meet someone else from houston on here. What part of town do you live in? Im right by the med center.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, that red/black would be my choice!!!

GLWS!!!

These look SO much better than the modern Pedestrian Safety blunt fronts!
    They ruined a beautiful design with that Law....

LI2782 and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So these are like my uncle's "old school" SLs....the hard top is in addition to the soft one??

I recall he hung it right over the car, in his garage!!!

7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #7 F355 Fan 82, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    It's a shame but the SL was once a legendary car, I think the r230, the one after this one was the last nice one mercedes ever designed. The ones from 2009 on are terrible and mercedes SL sales have fallen off a cliff. Rumors are they might even kill off the SL soon, shame really. The 230 is great, I had an SL55 and SL65 two of the best cars I've ever owned but with that folding hardtop roof and the ABC they're timebombs of not if but when you're getting pricey repairs hence why you can grab a nice 500 hp SL55 for $20k or less.

This car is pretty simple to work on, lacks a ton of electronics, but has just the right amount to be more modern than previous SL's. The roof comes off manually, you need 2 people its pretty heavy and you put it on a stand. Honestly nobody leaves the hardtop on, its something you take off once and thats it. The 560SL before this did 0-60 in 8 seconds, this does it in 6 seconds, which is pretty slow by today's standards but its plenty of power for nice top down driving. With inflation factored in the $85k price tag of this in 1999 is like $125k today probably if not higher.

rampante550 likes this.
  8. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    I have a '98 SL500 with the Sport Package and Monoblocks that I drive quite often, it has decent giddy-up especially on crowded Houston roads, its near impossible to really open up these cars, so I can't imagine the long athletic legs of the V12. The mid range performance of the V12 definitely would be sensational compared to the V8. I live in Jersey Village (Beltway 8 and 290) and my wife works in the Med district. I've seen your posts on Benzworld and we should meet up sometime, we have near identical automotive tastes!

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  9. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The only problem with actually driving an SL in houston is the roads suck. Before I left houston 6 years ago, I had an SL55 and i cracked the front bumper 3x bc of all the potholes, the roads are awful.

Texas Forever and slownrusty like this.
  10. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin