Red or Yellow!?! | FerrariChat

Red or Yellow!?!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Anymac, Dec 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    I have another thread about my test drive and a valuation of my first testarossa that I’m looking to buy. I was originally shopping 355. And it still is an option. I am craving a a gated Ferrari after having the incredible and nearly too perfect Huracan a few years.

My plan was to add an FF so that I can take the kids occasionally and I also have a double date. And also a 355 and now perhaps the Testarossa as my manual shifting analog throwback Ferrari.

Well I am rather shocked at myself at the testarossa is seeming to get under my skin as much if not a little more than the 355. Which brings me to the topic of this thread.

On the 355 to me red is achingly beautiful and just accentuates the lines perfectly. Yellow not so much. Interestingly I dig yellow more on the testarossa. It seems to somehow freshen the car up a bit while still being decidedly semi-classic.

Obviously yellow is significantly more rare which I like - but can also be a two edged sword should I want to sell. Red on the other hand dressed up better and is quite safe.

Anyhow, I found this tastefully modded red one (since I might do body colored bottom, springs and wheels on mine) and had it Photoshop yellow for comparison.

1) what do you think?

2) yellows please post a pic!

3) 355’s are still very cheap and and running about $45k-$50k less than Testarossa. I’m wondering what the consensus is on which might be the better investment. Yes I will buy by which onwni enjoy most but it’s still fun to speculate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    Well, let me start by saying I don't have a Testarossa yet, so that just makes me a junior expert. But I did have an E-Type Jaguar series 1 a number of years ago. It was pale Primrose which if you translate British to American that means a pale yellow. Everybody told me it was a nice car and it really did accentuate the lines somewhat of the E-Type. But I had a specific color in mind for the Jaguar and I was always sorry, and always a bit apologetic that it didn't have the red one. ... Just saying

Sent from my VS995 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ferrari52000 and Anymac like this.
  3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Black is the best color on a testarossa. Yellow looks good on nothing imho.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Anymac likes this.
  4. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    white imo for a tr if red or yellow yellow for me for resale probably red but overall white is the most striking color for a tr

Anymac likes this.
  5. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Red or metallic dark blue for me.... Yellow is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.

Anymac likes this.
  6. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You asked red versus yellow and I'll vote red. As for the red/white/black debate, that thread could go on and on and on, but the answer is red ;)

Don't paint the underpanels imo. That was cool when people were trying to make their older TR's look like 512TR's, but that time has passed. You're buying an 80s car so own it. Two tone and all...

7. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    I’m not in disagreement. As I generally don’t like the idea of changing of period correct two-tone of day a 512, W140 S-Class or LS400. I guess I didn’t consider the 3 inch bottom chin and rockers in the same way!

Fair point...

Bradwilliams likes this.
  8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Resale red has its advantages
    Miami Vice white fits the car
    yellow is for ‘look at me’ Lambos
    Bottom line - get whatever suits your fancy

Forget the 355... as Enzo said “a Ferrari is a 12 cyl car”. The 360 is a far better car than the 355. I had a nice stick 360 (TDF Blue) spider along with the tr but later sold the 360 and kept the tr. The 8 cyl cars need too many revs to move at a brisk pace - sounds like a kid driving a Japanese racer with foot to floor. The 12 can pull away from traffic without breaking a sweat. Still... they can howl with the best of ‘em if you want jail time speeds.

Jamie traina and Anymac like this.
  9. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    in red I think the black really compliments it. Don't forget the TR also has black slats up on the engine cover whereas a 512TR has painted red louvers. The black sills and front splitter really all work together as Pininfarina originally designed it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Untitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Whether or not a TR is a better buy than a 355 makes for a great opportunity to voice my opinion without much consequence for being wrong because none of us have a crystal ball. Here's my opinion...

The 355 is a better sports car. More power, higher reving engine, lighter, etc. It's also easier to live with because its more modern and has power steering. But....

The TR is a Testarossa. The Testarossa. Period. That's a big deal to a lot of us. It's not just a Ferrari, it's iconic. The name Testarossa is probably just as iconic as the brand itself to many people. It's a wonderful car to drive, comfortable but sporty. It's an odd mix of a GT and sports car that kinda just works for tooling around town. The power steering is something to consider. You get over it quickly but its still heavy at low speeds. The 355 won't be.

I believe the TR has a much higher upside for future value than a 355 will. 12 cylinder Ferraris will be worth more unless we're talking some kind of special model (F40). And the Testarossa was also a flagship model that earned a reputation for the brand. I consider it somewhat analogous to the impact that the Daytona or BB had on the public, unfortunately it was made in much higher volume than either of those models though. I think of a 355 as just another ferrari and one of their "bulk" models. That said I think 355's are GORGEOUS and wanted one before I bought my TR.

Cost of maintenance, maybe similar? Both require engine out services. The TR has 50% more cylinders and will cost more for parts. But here's a somewhat major problem (in my opinion), the 355 is Ferrari's first 5-valve engine and early ones are reported to have catastrophic failures. I'm not sure if later ones suffer the same risk but it's scary to me one way or the other. TR's really seem to be quite reliable aside from the cost of preventative maintenance, fuse box, and differential. TR's are easy to work on too.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you are right tim, but the thread title says: red or yellow and not TR or 355

red will be better for sale later I think, but yellow looks nicer on a TR than red. when you join a F-meeting 80% of the cars are red and those who will have a look at the cars only have a short look at the red ones. but when there is a yellow one it is an eye catcher.

here in germany on the autobahn I prefer red, because nearly all know when from behind there is coming a red car very fast it is a ferrari and they go to the right side to let him pass. with a yellow TR you have to slow down sometimes very hard because the other don´t recognize how fast you are and see only a yellow car, not a ferrari. even in italy on the autostrada you have advantage with a red F, but a yellow F is better to get not recognized to be too fast by the police :)

12. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    You cannot go wrong with either F355 or Testarossa, I have driven both and they are very enjoyable to drive.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Red better for resale and imo yellow ugly on the tr and i mean ugly.
    Additionally as evidenced by BAT and autotrader the yellow examples currently for sale move even less...

As far as comparing to the 355...its not even a comprison. 355 is better all around but as far as looks and charisma it’s not as special as the testarossa.

Additionally to this date, the tr is the last flat 12 ferrari, the last manual with a 12 cylinder at the back and i would even argue that its the last non hyper car/special production car Enzo ever saw (aside the f40).
    Case closed;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Red if it's your only Ferrari. Yellow if you have another Ferrari.

15. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I NEVER thought I'd buy a yellow Ferrari, but when I saw a yellow TR, I couldn't resist. Now I already had a red Testarossa, and still do.
    The TR in yellow is pretty sensational. Side by side the yellow is really striking. I'd buy a WHITE Tr just to round things out, but I already have
    a white 328GTB. Entering it in Concorso Italiano in Monterey four years ago, twenty or so RED 328's, a yellow one and a white one.
    Red is kind of over done.

16. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    If you like something other than red, get it. Sure, it'll have a smaller audience when it comes time for resale, but oftentimes that audience is more motivated as it is demonstrably less common.

I prefer blue myself and had been on the prowl for a while looking for the right color combination. It's boring when clubs get together and it's another red car added to the mix.

As many others may have said before, get a 512TR if you can swing the premium. Though, it's a lot easier to find Testarossas in cool color combos than any in the 512 line.

The 355 is a nice car that sold very well because it has attractive lines.
    Nobody mistakes a Testarossa for a nice sports car; this is a damn FERRARI....

Also, limit the mods you do. Don't paint where there wasn't paint before.
    If you do wheels, keep it within the realm of 512TR/M sizing.
    These cars are low enough as is; I would be hard pressed to want to make it even more prone to scraping...

xplodee and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this is what I have written in my post 11

only to see 1 ferrari red is always great :)

18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The tr is a little to big to pull off yellow well. Yellow looks amazing on smaller cars like the Dino, 308, 348, 355.

It’s all personal preference, buy based on condition. I rather have a better quality car in my second choice colour.

As for the 355 vs TR comparison. No debate ..... a 12 cylinder Ferrari is always the wholly grail.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    My Tr was yellow and I loved it. I always had a lot of thumbs up and compliment about it. It sold easily in a very short time and at a very decent price, not cheap. So, buy what you like and forget all those story about what color is best.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  20. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I had a 355 several years ago and now I'm also in the search for a Testarossa (or a 512TR).

As for the color chose - this is the only Ferrari model, that has a color in his name, so probably that's why I think a testarossa should be red :) And it really looks better in red, but only if you keep the side skirts black.

of2worlds and xplodee like this.
  21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I have had 4 red ones but love yellow, black and blue.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

RED. Unless it is a 512tr. If it is a 512TR then Yellow

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I agree but those one tone LS400 and W140s look fabulous. The final years of the W140 and LS400 were one color. I had a mint condition 1991 LS400 for 5 years with the two tone, I always wished it were one color but I agree it did still look great with the two tone scheme. However, I think the only cars that pull that off well are the Bentleys and the Rolls. I still need to own a W140 at some point, they are epic.

24. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Those wheels look like larger replicas of the metric wheels! But with a bit more lip to boot!

xplodee likes this.
  25. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thats why i love them! And at 17”, theres still a nice meaty sidewall. The 18” wheels leave too little sidewall in my opinion for a vintage car.