Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973) | Page 93 | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by miuras, Feb 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Greetings Ghibli experts. I would like to let you know that I have just posted a wanted ad in the other parts and collectibles section for a few items for my 1970 Ghibli. Any leads or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    "I am looking for the following items for a 1970 Maserati Ghibli 4.7 USA;
    1. Use and Maintenance Manual. I would like an original (not reprint) copy in good (does not need to be pristine) condition and would like the version in 2 or 3 languages including english (not the italian only version). I am not sure whether the early or later version shown on Ivans' site would be most appropriate for my car.
    2. Emergency headlight raising tool.
    3. Emergency window raising tool."
    I would also appreciate any recommendations you have for service on one of my bolt on Borranis. I have a slight vibration over 70 mph which the wheel/tire shop says is due to an out of round wheel. I am not seeking a full restoration, just appropriate service if that is possible. (I kind of like the unrestored patina of the whole car which matches the owner)
    Thanks, Walt

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    1. The only version I am aware that is in multiple languages is the one on my website, which came with teh later cars. I have never seen an English version of the manual where only the 4.7 liter was listed.
    2. There is no emergency headlamp raising tool. There should be a plastic knob that you turn with your hand to manually raise the headlamps. On some USA cars the plastic knob sticks down where it can easily get hit and breaks, leaving just the rod.
    3. I've got an extra original Ghibli window raising tool. It is different from the one used on the Bora and Khamsin.

Ivan

3. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    You may know that it is impossible to correctly balance wire wheels whenever you have conical surfaces on the wheel hub.
    I dont't know if the Borrani's have this kind of hub and what is their diameter but, for the wire wheels of vintage Jaguar cars, this was addressed by Fosseway in UK that has designed a cheap and clever ad-hoc balancing kit that can be put on usual balancing systems:
    http://www.fossewayperformance.co.uk/wire-wheel-balancing-kit/
    Hope it can help!

4. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Thanks Ivan. Please send me details via PM or my email at [email protected]

5. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Thanks Froggie. That is very interesting information. Unfortunately I suspect it does not apply to my problem since my wheels are conventional bolt on Borrani wire wheels rather than center lock. I would love to find a shop with lots of wire wheel experience to have a look at them. The car is located in San Francisco, CA but I understand I may need to ship them to an expert elsewhere. Recommendations are welcomed.

6. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Walt... I bought a set of bolt-on wire wheels out of Australia for my Ghibli SS restoration. I promptly sent them to Dayton Wire Wheels in Ohio for complete
    restoration. I was very happy with the work done! My car is not up and running yet, so I don't really know if I will have any problems with them, but they sure look
    great. I know you are not looking for a complete resto on your wheels, but you may want to talk to Dayton and some of the other restorers to get their opinion of
    your issue...

Mike

7. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Thanks Mike. I will contact Dayton.

8. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Walt since you are in the SF Bay area there is a shop in Walnut creek that can service your wheels. They also have the ability to balance wheels on the car. THe name is Riteway wire wheels 925 933 4046. I also had a set of bolt on wire wheels rebuilt by Dayton. And they did an excellent job but they can not replate the original rims. They replace them with new rims. They do not have the equipment to restamp the rims with the graphics.

9. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Thanks for the recommendation, I will take a drive over there and see what they say. Walt

10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Dayton replated my original Ghibli rims and center hub. You are correct that they cannot re-stamp the RW numbers.

Dayton normally recommends stainless spokes. I was told by a Borrani person that stainless spokes are dangerous. I think this is BS as I have not seen stainless spokes fail while I have seen many steel spokes fail.

Ivan

11. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    We have had three different stainless spoke failures on Daytona's (all at the inner end, they break right the flared end). On the other hand we have had numerous steel spoke failures on our vintage race cars.

12. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    In the Jaguar community, it is well known that the stronger wire wheels are those with non chromed (only painted) steel spokes.
    That's true also for the Borrani wheels, they refuse to put stainless steel wires.
    The stronger wire wheels are the so-called triple-laced ones, with three rows for wires fixing on the rims and crossing wires for fixing on the hub: these are the ones that were used on track at the time.

Wire wheels were replaced by mag or alloy wheels because they did not sustain the big efforts during races.
    Regular checking of the wires' tension and correctly balancing wire rims is also a PITA.
    Not surprising that the merchants advise to replace wire wheels when they are not any more true and balanced...

13. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Attached Files:

14. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    Did U see the Ghibli badge ????

15. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Interesting! Has a late style centre tunnel...and a dreadful fit to the bootlid as well.

16. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
  17. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    alfieri107 likes this.
  18. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    Yes, this seems to be one of the most original Ghibli around. Suspicious? There seems to be nothing suspicious in the description of this car. And why should the "internal numbers " be so extremely important? What internal numbers are we talking about here? Number of crankshaft or so? How would you know them if the engine hasn't been opened ever? Why would you open the engine at only 21000 km? Why make a car "suspicious" that seems to be one of the best in the market? I hope that it will sell way above estimate... bought by someone who can appreciate its qualities.

19. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Hello---

What the hell is suspicious about this car???

I do not mean any disrespect as I don't even know you guys, but to complain that a seller does not provide the extremely important "internal numbers" is the height of insanity!

I will match my Bora ( after 31 years of ownership; acquired from its original owner ) against any example out there, but still have no idea what these magic internal numbers are, as I still have not overhauled this amazing engine!

Regards.

alfieri107 likes this.
  20. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    Hi, maybe you did not read my post or did not understand it. I'm saying exactly the same thing as you do. You should refer your reply to Candide, not to me. Thank you.

21. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    All is well!
    Simply wanted to emphasize your comment!

Regards.

22. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Hi Julian,

How is your car coming along? Is it painted?

Ivan

23. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Hi Ivan,
    I was told that it was ready for painting at Christmas but the painter is very busy and it seems that it will be another month or two before colour finally hits the body. It will be a decent job so I'm just working on other parts until that day! Here's the car in high build prior to much of the rubbing back.
    The car has new sills, new door skins and lower door frame repairs, new spare wheel well and battery box, new bonnet outer and frame repairs, lower rear valence repairs but oddly enough all four original wheelarches and floors are original

Julian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

And this doesn't look much better but this is now rubbed back and prepared for paint. I've been trial fitting up the door frames, badges etc which is just as well since the new Ghia badges have slightly different lug spacing to the old ones for instance. Also adjusting the fit of those fender vents bars while I still have the chance

Julian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3